Cabanas at Castaway Cay

alwayscruizin

This thread has sealed the deal -- when my boyfriend and I treat my parents to their first Disney Cruise next year, we'll splurge on the cabana on Castaway Cay for them!

You mentioned tipping your host and, I'm curious, what's the suggested tip for a cabana host?

Really enjoying this thread and looking forward to cruising to Castaway Cay in February!

Make sure you book it early, I forgot the date had opened to book and tried to book one a week later, all gone for my July cruise:mad:

Just got back on Friday from a 7 Night Western on the Magic. This was our first time renting a cabana and for us, it was nice and I don't regret it at all. But I wouldn't do it again.

Here's why. For our family, me, DH and DD11, it just wasn't necessary. DD spent all her time playing on the beach, snorkeling, sliding, with her friends she met on the ship and they were on the other side of the beach. And DH and I were lonely! lol We missed the hustle and bustle of the family beach, the proximity to the shops, bars, BBQ.

We did use the bikes and snorkel gear that came with the cabana rental, but like a PP said, we felt we were missing our cabana time when we weren't there.

If I were traveling with a large group or extended family, then I think it would be fun to have the cabana and have your own little party. OR if I had an infant or toddler that needed to nap in the shade.

Otherwise? It was nice, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't do it again.....

We are going next week, and have a Cabana - interesting comment that you felt anchored to it (my interpretation of your answer)...

Is there any disney security on site?

Were you worried about getting things stolen or of squatters?

You asked about security? There was on crew member stationed on the beach but she never questioned anyone who walked over to the Cabana's beach. And there was no security on the sidewalk entrance to the cabanas. We had people knock on our door who wanted to see it (people we met on the ship) and then when I was walking in one time I overheard the group in front of me say, "I wonder what's back here?" as they entered the cabanas area.

This is one area in which I was VERY disappointed.

There are safes in the cabanas (the size of the cabin safes, so large enough for a camera, etc, but not large enough for a beach bag), but I never worried about things getting stolen. it would take someone pretty brazen to actually walk in one of the cabanas... although in hindsight I wouldn't put it out of the realm.....

We are traveling on the Disney Fantasy in October and were trying to decide whether to rent a cabana at Castaway Cay or not. All the reviews I find are from people who haven't rented them and say that they would never pay that much but I would like some opinions from people who have rented them on whether it is worth $499 or not. Thanks!

When in October? We are on the 10/20 Eastern.

You asked about security? There was on crew member stationed on the beach but she never questioned anyone who walked over to the Cabana's beach. And there was no security on the sidewalk entrance to the cabanas. We had people knock on our door who wanted to see it (people we met on the ship) and then when I was walking in one time I overheard the group in front of me say, "I wonder what's back here?" as they entered the cabanas area.

This is one area in which I was VERY disappointed.

There are safes in the cabanas (the size of the cabin safes, so large enough for a camera, etc, but not large enough for a beach bag), but I never worried about things getting stolen. it would take someone pretty brazen to actually walk in one of the cabanas... although in hindsight I wouldn't put it out of the realm.....

that's very disappointing!

thanks for taking the time to post your review and pictures!!

i think we are going to rent one because for us, it will give us a place to leave my mom when we explore....and for me to leave both my mom and sister if i decide to head for pelican plunge or whatever for a while...

my mom hates being in a chair on the sand, so being able to rest on the deck of the cabana will be great for her!!!!

that's very disappointing!

thanks for taking the time to post your review and pictures!!

i think we are going to rent one because for us, it will give us a place to leave my mom when we explore....and for me to leave both my mom and sister if i decide to head for pelican plunge or whatever for a while...

my mom hates being in a chair on the sand, so being able to rest on the deck of the cabana will be great for her!!!!

That is a good plan I think. We did say if we had an older family member who wanted out of the sun it would be a good call.... We also said we might consider renting one next time on Serenity Bay - it's $100 cheaper and DD is never with us anyway so it would work for us! Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned yesterday from the Fantasy and we had cabana 8. Last time we had cabana 3 and I was bummed we could not get it again but after we saw 8 I realized that cabana 9 is the best! cabana 8 is a close second but 9 has a nice palm tree shading the hammock.

We have been to Castaway Cay many times. The last time we went (Sept 2011) we booked Cabana #8 on the family beach. We decided right there that we will never, ever, ever go again without a cabana. However, I think it's important you know some KEY points of our traveling:

1. We no longer travel with children. (My stepchildren are adults now.)

2. We are all avid snorkelers. :) (Thus the family beach choice instead of the Serenity Bay choice.)

3. We usually travel with extended family. (So, party of 6-8 adults usually.)

The perks for us are worth the money. And, with a group of adults, we split the cost. :)

1. All snorkeling equipment included

2. Stocked with water, soda and snacks.

3. Cooled washcloths for those HOT visits.

4. Complimentary sunscreen of varying strengths.

5. The freshwater shower is BRILLIANT. I LOVED being able to rinse off saltwater and sand and it was also a quick "cool off" when needed while sunning. :)

However, the price of the cabana for me was worth it if for no other reason than WE FELT LIKE WE WERE ON OUR OWN BEACH!!!

There are other families in the other cabanas, sure...but I'm telling you. After 4 cruises and experiencing the wall to wall, body to body layout of the family beaches the exquisite space and peace and quiet is worth the charge.

• 1 month later...

We were on the Dream last July. We rented Cabana 5 with another family. Between the two families we had four children, one of whom just turned one. The toddler was able to nap and get out of the sun and we could rest in the shade. I loved the cabana! I would do that every chance I got. The service was superb, the drinks a plus, and the sunscreen unlimited!

My recommendation is to go first thing in the morning. We are a bunch of early risers (not by my choice) and we were the first on the private beach! We had it to ourselves for a couple of hours. Then the family next to us arrived and then we were the only ones there until the afternoon! It was serene and peaceful. The beach is great for young kids because it is great sand and not too deep. I could relax on a float and easily keep a close eye on the kids.

The price may seem steep, but I would probably pay more for that beautiful day!

We had a cabana in March on Serenity Bay that we shared with friends. We actually had two cabanas #19 and #20 for 19 people. The two are right next to each other so it was easy to share music and go between the two to chat, etc. My DH had a great nap in the shade while many of us hung out at the water's edge. It was great having the hammocks, floats, etc. and felt wonderful to come in from snorkeling and have the cool washcloth from the fridge to clean my face with.

Here's a picture of our group. We hung the banner between the two cabanas:

533281_10150703513769063_1881825434_n.jpg

• 6 months later...
Just noticed your post, r u on the dream on 2/24? It'll be our very 1st cruise, just booked tdy. Guess I'm late in trying for a cabana?

You can look but chances are they were sold out over a month ago. Keep checking, sometime people cancel or the one they hold for weddings gets released.

We will be going on a Dream cruise in November of this year. There will be 10 adults total, friends and family.

When you rent a Cabana, how many people are allowed in the cabana. I am guessing 4 or 6. Would we need 2 cabanas for our group of 10?

I am really not sure if we want to do this, but I am just trying to get some information to give everyone.

It will be my DH and my wedding anniversary and we will be celebrating 3 birthdays while we are on the cruise so we want to make it a special time.

Linda

We will be going on a Dream cruise in November of this year. There will be 10 adults total, friends and family.

When you rent a Cabana, how many people are allowed in the cabana. I am guessing 4 or 6. Would we need 2 cabanas for our group of 10?

I am really not sure if we want to do this, but I am just trying to get some information to give everyone.

It will be my DH and my wedding anniversary and we will be celebrating 3 birthdays while we are on the cruise so we want to make it a special time.

Linda

On the family beach the cabanas cost $499. This price covers up to 6 people. You can add additional people (up to a max of 10) for $50 per person.

On Serenity Bay (adult beach) the cabanas cost $399. This is for up to 4 people. You can add up to 2 more (max 6) for $50 each.

I will point out, unless you are traveling Concierge, or are a Platinum Castaway Club member, chances of getting a cabana, much less 2 will be slim.

:)

Archived