currency on nile cruise

sandemac

Hi, Does anyone know what is the best currency to take to pay for optional extra tours on board and also for tips. We have dollars and a small amount of Egyptian dollars but I am thinking we should take more. I did read somewhere that it is the rep that takes the booking and money for optional tours, is this correct? They would surely have a credit card facility?

I came back from a Nile Cruise last week and they did NOT take credit cards on board but I don't know if that applies to every boat. They would take Egyptian Pounds (not dollars) Sterling or US Dollars. Try to get small denomination Egyptian Pounds if possible as it's very difficult to get change. I think you could also use Travellers Cheques on board. We had a fantastic holiday - enjoy!

On our ship, the took US$ for tips and purchases. Most vnedors in the ports also took US$.

As to credit cards for optional tours, ours did take them. However, that is something that may vary by cruise line. You may want to check with the company you are traveling with

Hi, no I haven't got round to doing a review. I was on the Royal Viking and it was wonderful. Didn't go to Giza though. Do be prepared for extremely pushy vendors at all the sites (this didn't bother me but some people were upset by it) and I found it useful to learn just a few words of Arabic such as 'laa' (no) and 'f'ill mish mish' which loosely translates as 'in your dreams!' As I said, try and get hold of some small currency Egyptian pounds. Although in theory they will take dollars and English pounds, in practice you also get a lot of hassle from tradespeople who want you to turn those into Egyptian currency for them. If you can go to Abu Simbul it's well worth it. Don't drink any of the water (not even to clean your teeth). We were assured that all fruits and salads on our boat were washed in bottled water and nobody got ill at all, despite eating everything. Enjoy your trip - I loved it.

Archived