Norovirus

On 1/12/2019 at 10:08 PM, Ukigirl said:

I am nauseous just reading this thread, thank goodness never experienced this and hopefully never will.  I used to get sick all the time during flu and cold season, about five years ago I started taking supplements religiously and gotta tell you that besides a couple days where I feel under the weather every season, I’ve dodged the bullet. This includes being coughed on airplane trips, multiple cruises where everyone else comes home sick except me and I work at a health care clinic where I deal with germs every day.  I don’t think I’ve become immune to these germs, this is working for me and in case you are wondering , no flu shot since 2012.  

Do you need to wear a mask during flu season at work?  At the large medical center in my area employees need to wear masks if they do not have a flu shot on file.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:56 PM, chrisb74 said:

Question: If only soap & water hand washing is a suitable way to prevent this why don't they have proper soap and water washing stations at the entrances to the food venues? It wouldn't be that hard to do. 

I've seen them on Princess and Carnival, but observed very few people using them.  Carnival is good about having "door tissues" at the public rest rooms so you have a barrier for opening doors after washing.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:14 AM, Mikew0805 said:

These are a bit different. First they are scattered throughout the lido deck restaurant, I would guess about 6 of them. Second they are 12 seconds to complete. There was never more than a couple person wait. 

Never going to get everyone to wash, but I like that they are scattered, as I can wash before and after I get my food. It’s fine that one washes before, you you still have to touch the serving utensils that other people have touched... so I like the ease of washing after I get my food. 

I thought proper washing was at least 20 seconds.  I agree there shouldn't be much of a hold up, but I would likely wash twice if it was only 12 seconds.

I hope everyone is feeling better that were affected and glad to hear there aren't new reports.  Our first cruise with Royal was on the Grandeur in 2014.  We were delayed boarding due to the previous cruise having Noro, but our cruise also had it.  Fortunately we weren't ill, but it was a little scary to be in the Solarium pool and having people near us discussing that several in their family were quarantined.  I always washed my hands at sinks, but also put up with using the sanitizer being dispensed rather than give the workers a hard time about it.  

49 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We did not get off in Labadee.  I had symptoms, but never vomited,  so I did not get counted.

I've read that you can get those symptoms from drinking too much Beringer White Zin.

• Haha 2

Hand washing, sanitizing...all good....but sometimes your number is just up.

Freshly washed hands, squirt of sanitizer on the way in to the WJ.  Pick up a utensil that has just been handled by "one not so clean".  Go sit down and pick up your french fry.  😮  Probably better to sanitize AFTER you serve yourself at the buffet.  😉 

Touch an elevator button, then absently touch the side of your eye....ahh..those germs are sneaky!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, island lady said:

Hand washing, sanitizing...all good....but sometimes your number is just up.

Freshly washed hands, squirt of sanitizer on the way in to the WJ.  Pick up a utensil that has just been handled by "one not so clean".  Go sit down and pick up your french fry.  😮  Probably better to sanitize AFTER you serve yourself at the buffet.  😉 

Touch an elevator button, then absently touch the side of your eye....ahh..those germs are sneaky!

I agree totally and we do not begin to eat until we are done with the menu, the salt and pepper shakers as well as AFTER we are seated and have touched the chair THEN we use a hand sanitizer..

Rhinoviruses thrive in alcohol based sanitizers . According to Dr. J. Owen Hendley, professor of pediatrics, Virginia school of medicine, there is no right or wrong way to wash your hands.  "Simply rinsing your hands and rubbing your fingers together will wash the virus away".  From an episode of NPR's Science Friday with Ira Flato.

21 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

Rhinoviruses thrive in alcohol based sanitizers . According to Dr. J. Owen Hendley, professor of pediatrics, Virginia school of medicine, there is no right or wrong way to wash your hands.  "Simply rinsing your hands and rubbing your fingers together will wash the virus away".  From an episode of NPR's Science Friday with Ira Flato.

Wow.  

You just haven't a clue....

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Do you need to wear a mask during flu season at work?  At the large medical center in my area employees need to wear masks if they do not have a flu shot on file.

I've seen them on Princess and Carnival, but observed very few people using them.  Carnival is good about having "door tissues" at the public rest rooms so you have a barrier for opening doors after washing.

I thought proper washing was at least 20 seconds.  I agree there shouldn't be much of a hold up, but I would likely wash twice if it was only 12 seconds.

I hope everyone is feeling better that were affected and glad to hear there aren't new reports.  Our first cruise with Royal was on the Grandeur in 2014.  We were delayed boarding due to the previous cruise having Noro, but our cruise also had it.  Fortunately we weren't ill, but it was a little scary to be in the Solarium pool and having people near us discussing that several in their family were quarantined.  I always washed my hands at sinks, but also put up with using the sanitizer being dispensed rather than give the workers a hard time about it.  

True, because you have to be able to cover all surfaces on your hand. These washers have water jet's that surround your entire hand and up to just past your wrist. They rotate and spray, so everything is being cleaned at the same time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

I just can't....

Another report from the ship for those of you sailing on Sunday! Still no word of anyone having Norovirus on this sailing and have not seen any signs of anyone looking ill.

We’ve spoken to many crew members about last week and they have all pretty much said it was awful. They of course were involved in the scrub down of the ship and the way they have described it, not a millimeter if this ship did not get sanitized. 

I’ll be curious to hear if there is still no passenger self serve at any of the buffet areas next week. I imagine they will continue the current routine for a few more weeks. I needed salt in the solarium yesterday morning...we had to request it and a cruise member came by to shake it onto my food (weird that they had little individual pepper packets but no salt)

Good cruising to those of you boarding on Sunday. I don’t think you need to worry about any lingering virus from last week’s outbreak. 

• Like 3