Norovirus

58 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The mods have been doing a lot of merging of threads on topics that discuss similar issues- no splitting this up and likely any new ship report of noro might end up in this thread. 

I get that. Aren’t you generally the first to remind others that wake up an old post just how old it was. Something like, did you realize how old this thread was. I think you need to get back on a Motorcycle and get some wind therapy. Lol

2 hours ago, coaster said:

The percentage reported ill will always be lower the true amount. The number given out is the percentage of passengers that have reported their illness to medical. Unfortunately, not all do.

This is true. That said, I still wouldn't freak out about the numbers. That many people are walking around sick on land at any given moment. My point is that people need to put this in context and not go into panic mode.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Isopropyl Alcohol - 58.6000%

Octyl Decyl Dimethyl Ammonium Chloride - 0.0075%
According to the EPA it is not likely to be carcinogenic to humans. Possible rash type symptoms.

Didecyl Dimethyl Ammonium Chloride - 0.0045%
Commonly used as an algaecide in swimming pools

Dioctyl Dimethyl Ammonium Chloride - 0.0030%
Another commonly use algaecide

Amazingly low concentrations of the quats are needed. Possibly due to the denaturing and cell wall damage from the alcohol added to the internal cellular destructive properties of the quats.

OTHER INGREDIENTS: 41.3850%

Disinfection This product is recommended for use as a disinfectant on inanimate, precleaned, hard, nonporous surfaces such as chairs, countertops, drawer pulls, carts, baskets, tables, cabinets, telephones, plastic surfaces, glazed ceramic, glazed porcelain, chrome, stainless steel, aluminum, laminated surfaces and other related hard surfaces in hospitals, operating rooms, medical clinics, nursing homes, laboratories, schools, day care centers, funeral homes. Preclean surfaces prior to disinfecting. This product may be used to preclean. To disinfect, apply with a sponge, wipe, mechanical sprayer, or by total immersion. When applied with a mechanical sprayer, spray should be coarse. Surfaces must be sprayed until thoroughly wetted. Treated surfaces must remain wet for 5 minutes.

Kills 99.999% of 9 tested pathogens in 60 seconds on food contact surfaces, including non-porous rubber gloves 10 second kill on non-food contact surfaces, including non-porous rubber footwear

The RED are my additions, based on EPA statements and based on prior knowledge of bacteriology.

PURPLE  show effectiveness as stated in their literature. 99.999% in 60 seconds 

A sprayer which we use as illustrated in prior post quickly dispenses a decent wetting of the product and remains for several minutes before completely evaporating. Like any guarantee of effectiveness I am sure the 5 minute wait time is for legal reasons.

34 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Says this is a hot thread, with 151 replies since 2012.  Averages out to 25 replies per year.

Whenever the topic pops up or is brought up it gets hot..  LOL.  Like Chili, sometimes it gets hotter after it's a few days old...

38 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

The RED are my additions, based on EPA statements and based on prior knowledge of bacteriology.

PURPLE  show effectiveness as stated in their literature. 99.999% in 60 seconds 

A sprayer which we use as illustrated in prior post quickly dispenses a decent wetting of the product and remains for several minutes before completely evaporating. Like any guarantee of effectiveness I am sure the 5 minute wait time is for legal reasons.

Ah, the trouble, of course, is that you attempting  to apply bacteriological knowledge and studies to a viral illness.  Apples and oranges. 

Edited by Starry Eyes

5 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Ah, the trouble, of course, is that you appempting to apply bacteriological knowledge and studies to a viral illness.  Apples and oranges. 

We were well aware of the differences between Bacterial and Viral bad guys. We did study both, but it was back in the dark ages of 1968 so things have changed to a degree..

Over  the last half century I have  not been kept in isolation from things like modern antibiotics and antivirals as well in many other aspects of the modern medical world of knowledge.   LOL :classic_biggrin:

Edited by boscobeans

On board. We're fine.  The staff is being super cautious.  Hand you silver, made my tea, etc.  My neighbors have been sick. At least one came on and within a day had an unrelated fever.  They are a family of 4 traveling for weeks from Australia.   They say medical staff has been great.  Feel for them as this is their first cruise.  Right now sitting on my balcony and watching the world sail by.  Nothing is better than that. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oneluckywoman said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the ship doctor is making complimentary visits to your stateroom to give you a checkup and meds if needed. Royal deserves a gold star for the way they are handling this in my opinion. 

PS.... I'm still ok. My husband stayed in bed all day yesterday (day 2 of the virus) and was able to eat the BRAT diet. He is sleeping now and I'm hoping he will feel better today. We have not called the doc nor have we reported his illness. I bet there are others who have not reported so the numbers of those infected are probably higher than they think. 

Did you allow the cabin steward access to the cabin to service it or have you left a do not disturb sign out?  By not reporting your husband's sickness, the cabin steward will not know to put your linens and towels into hazmat bags to be cleaned with other infected laundry.  The cabin steward will not put on a hazmat suite to clean your cabin as they do with infected cabins.  Your cabin will not be on the list of cabins that need to be fogged prior to someone else occupying the infected cabin.

You also should be quarantined as you are touching surfaces that have been contaminated.

We were on a cruise with norovirus and every flat surface in our cabin was wiped down every day, because we were surrounded with quarantined cabins.  Our walls were washed daily, cabinets, desk, anything and everything that they could reach.  There was always a haze on mirrors and glass surfaces because the disinfectant needs to be left on the surface for a specific time for it to work.

We came away from that cruise without every getting norovirus because our cabin steward did the best to keep us healthy.

Report his illness for everyone's benefit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

In 2016, the FDA had placed all active ingredients in hand sanitizers in their GRASE (Generally Regarded as Safe and Effective) II category, which means that they need more proof that the ingredient does what is claimed.  They sent out for documentation from manufacturers for clinical studies, but as of this date, I don't believe that any hand sanitizer, despite manufacturers' claims, has been moved to the GRASE I category (proven safe and effective), against noro virus.

And, this summer, the FDA is seeking a permanent injunction against zylast for unproven benefits in advertising.

I should have done my due diligence before ordering more. :classic_love:

1 minute ago, PCWalton1 said:

I should have done my due diligence before ordering more. :classic_love:

Yes. Deceptive advertising. Claiming to be effective against NORO when they are really only proven to be effective against a closely related virus, feline norovirus (FNoV). They are NOT the same.

i just read this on a FB post - 

OASIS OF THE SEAS UPDATE:

Royal Caribbean just made an announcement right now over the intercom saying that we are skipping Cozumel as the increased of people getting sick and we will be refunded for the entire cost of the cruise.

I assume cost of cruise plus fees for Cozumel.   Not sure about insurance.  Right now trying to find a place to stay Saturday.  Our plans were to checkin at a timeshare in Hilton Head Sunday.  Just emailed concierge there about coming in a day early.

Dh just asked if we get parking fee money back?  Only parking for 6 days, not 7.

Last time we had a cruise shortened, not for noro, we got points for the scheduled 10 days, not the 9 we actually sailed. It was the Explorer out of NJ that came back a day late as a passenger had to be airlifted to PR and if took an e tra day.

Edited by njkruzer