Cruise when son is 17 or wait until 18?

pcmom10

We went on our first cruise last summer on the Legend and loved it. It was just us and another couple, no kids. But we think our kids would love it and want to take them on a cruise. They love to snorkel, our oldest is scuba certified and the middle has done a discover scuba - so thinking a Caribbean trip would be perfect. Our delima, do we go this summer when our sons are ages 17, 15, 13 or wait until 2013 when they are 18, 16, 14? Really the issue is our oldest, he is not a real social kid unless it's to converse about computers/technology.

Any thoughts from those who have traveled with both 17 and 18 year olds?

Also, for ships, would you choose the Legend or the Dream or another ship that would be more fun for the kids? They love all things water and rock climbing. We want to travel mid-June.

I think you could go this year just fine. Our kids are now 29, 26, and 16? We have taken them almost every year sine the olest was about 5. Our middle one was not very social but still found many things to do and it was great spending a little more time with him, where as the other two always made friends and did other things.

Not sure I understand the point of waiting?

IF you want to take them on a cruise just book it!

Your oldest son will do whatever he wants on the cruise whether it is this year or next year. No one will force him to do activities that he doesn't enjoy at any age.

IF the prices are similar I would start involving your children in the decision about which ship sounds more interesting.

They are certainly old enough to go on a computer and do some research about activities. I bet they can find kids on Facebook who have been on both ships.

I really don't see what the difference would be if he is 17 or 18. He will probably enjoy a cruise either way.

Dream is going to have more features that everybody in the family enjoys, but it will be more crowded.

Legend is the smaller Spirit class and has a nicer passenger flow, but fewer venues.

If you oldest is not social, I don't really think it matters (except, the sooner you can cruise, the better!:D)

If you think he'd enjoy the teen clubs (my daughter isn't very social either, yet she enjoys them sometimes) he's able to attend until he turns 18.

The waterslide on the Dream is great!

You won't go wrong with either decision. (Age-wise and ship-wise.) Your kids already sound like they'd have a great time cruising!:)

I would take them this summer. At 17, he will have the option of going to club O2 where he might make friends who enjoy the same thing. At 18, he would not have that option.

I agree.

If he isn't real social, Club O2 would give him the venue to meet others PLUS he would be in there with the 16 year old....

Go when he is 17! Once out of the O2 club group kids often find that they feel left out- not old enough to really enjoy a lot of the adult stuff that goes on, too old for the club. My son has turned 18, although still in high school, and we are going to do our best to get him in! And even if your son is not a joiner, strongly encourage him to sign up and give it a try.

Go Now! I have two sons 15 & 16. The oldest will be 17 on our next cruise in June. My younger son is very social and always the life of the party. My older son is more quiet and reserved. Both boys LOVE cruising. We go every year and they look forward to it. There is always something for them to do...whether it is Club O2, hanging at the pool, water slides, etc.

Waiting until your son is 18 wont add any additional activities onboard Carnival. You need to be 21 to drink on the ship and (I think) gamble.

Go now...enjoy time with your family...they grow up so fast.

I would take them this summer. At 17, he will have the option of going to club O2 where he might make friends who enjoy the same thing. At 18, he would not have that option.

I would also go while my son was still 17 so he can go to the kids club (once he is 18 he doesn't have the luxury of the kids club). This year will be the last time my son will be able to enjoy the kids club (he will still be 17 when we go in June 2012, but when we go in 2013 - he will be 18).

you need to go when he is 17, once he is 18 he has no oportunity to go to club 02 and will probably feel left out when the rest of his siblingings are going. if you go now he still has that chance if he choses to take it is another thing

There are not a lot of social things to do for the kids from 18-20. I would suggest going while he is 17 still. I always insisted my kid's attend the teen activities the first night, and then they could choose what to do over the week. Going the first night gives them an opportunity to meet other teens.

At 18, he will still be able to go to the shows, and comedy clubs, and gamble if he wants.

Go Now! I have two sons 15 & 16. The oldest will be 17 on our next cruise in June. My younger son is very social and always the life of the party. My older son is more quiet and reserved. Both boys LOVE cruising. We go every year and they look forward to it. There is always something for them to do...whether it is Club O2, hanging at the pool, water slides, etc.

Waiting until your son is 18 wont add any additional activities onboard Carnival. You need to be 21 to drink on the ship and (I think) gamble.

Go now...enjoy time with your family...they grow up so fast.

At 18 kids can gamble and attend the Adult comedy shows (and drink on most of the islands)

(edit) Oops, Colorado Cat and I were typing at the same time

Definitely while he is 17! Even though he is not social, it's important that he go to the teens club starting the very first day where he will meet kids like him. Our son is 17 and we are going on this cruise purposely before he turns 18. The teen counselors are great at helping the kids to get to know each other the first day or two and then they have a blast for the rest of the week.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all the replies. We are indeed trying to book on the Dream for 6/9 pending I find the appropriate airfare (hoping to wrap this up on Monday)!

The boys have looked at both the Liberty and the Dream and our oldest (17) is the one who said he liked the Dream better. So excited, now if the return flight will just cooperate.

For those that have sailed the Dream, if we end up staying Saturday night in either Port Canaveral or Orlando, where's the best place to 1)stay and 2)things to do for 1 afternoon/evening?

Also, has anyone done the Timeshare presentation at Ron Jon Resort in Port Canaveral in exchange for the free shuttle (to/from airport, hotel, port) and hotel night?

Thank you for all the replies. We are indeed trying to book on the Dream for 6/9 pending I find the appropriate airfare (hoping to wrap this up on Monday)!

The boys have looked at both the Liberty and the Dream and our oldest (17) is the one who said he liked the Dream better. So excited, now if the return flight will just cooperate.

For those that have sailed the Dream, if we end up staying Saturday night in either Port Canaveral or Orlando, where's the best place to 1)stay and 2)things to do for 1 afternoon/evening?

Also, has anyone done the Timeshare presentation at Ron Jon Resort in Port Canaveral in exchange for the free shuttle (to/from airport, hotel, port) and hotel night?

Good luck with your plans. I always have the best luck booking airfare on Tues. night/Weds. morn. Post-cruise, your boys might enjoy staying in Cocoa Beach. The Space Coast is the area around Port Canaveral. You guys could explore the Space Center where they launched all the shuttles and space missions. Couldn't recommend any time-share offers, try to avoid them myself.

Not sure I understand the point of waiting?

IF you want to take them on a cruise just book it!

Your oldest son will do whatever he wants on the cruise whether it is this year or next year. No one will force him to do activities that he doesn't enjoy at any age.

IF the prices are similar I would start involving your children in the decision about which ship sounds more interesting.

They are certainly old enough to go on a computer and do some research about activities. I bet they can find kids on Facebook who have been on both ships.

I agree...

Archived