Princess or Celebrity? Spring Break family cruise

matwood

I'm a long-time Princess cruiser (first cruised with them in 1982). My wife and I (and 7 year old son) are considering trying out Celebrity for a Spring Break Caribbean cruise but have some concerns if we (and more importantly our son) will have as good of experience on Celebrity.

I've cruised both lines during school holidays and have generally found more children on Princess. However they seemed to be well occupied as I rarely saw them running around. In fact, I asked how many kids were aboard and I was surprised there were as many, because I hardly ever saw them. Both lines have great kids' programs. So I don't know if more kids or fewer kids is what you're looking for.

Which ship with Celebrity? The newest fleet offers some beautiful ships.

There will be kids on both lines. ANd both have good kid's programs during break times. Normally I'd steer kids away from Celebrity. It's a bit more formal/traditional than Princess. However on the newer ships, and if its only a week cruise, you will find more families which means more casual in most cases.

When we travel with the multi generational extended family, we go with RCC because there is definitely something for everyone. Lots of bells and whistles that Celebrity doesn't offer.

I'm a long-time Princess cruiser (first cruised with them in 1982). My wife and I (and 7 year old son) are considering trying out Celebrity for a Spring Break Caribbean cruise but have some concerns if we (and more importantly our son) will have as good of experience on Celebrity.

Hi, we have been on RCI, Celebrity and Princess and although we don't have children thought all catered well for them.

They all had sufficient areas and relevant clubs for different ages and all the children we saw looked to be having a great time (as did their parents).

We would gladly cruise with any of them again and now look at the itinerary and price and go with which one suits our needs the best.

Too, I should have added, I'd look for the line that offers the best room arrangement you'd like. With a younger child, a balcony for the parents in the evening and morning for some time and space alone would be a must for me.

Normally, I would say Princess, but there should be plenty of other children at Spring Break. If you're going on one the Solstice class ships the cabins are probably better for having a child with you. There's a couch in the regular cabins. You only get that with mini-suites on Princess. The cabins have big screen TV's with on-demand programming, so you can always find something for your son to watch. Princess has movies under the stars and that's nice. I'm sure they'll have kids movies playing.

We have not cruised on Celebrity but would love to try it. We do have friends with a young daughter who have cruised on Celebrity numerous times and have only very positive things to say about the experience for the entire family. Their daughter always has a great time and at Spring Break you can be sure there will be other kids onboard. My kids really enjoy Princess, but then again they have enjoyed every cruise we have been on and I'm guessing they would love Celebrity as well. I would choose the option that provides the best room setup and itinerary for your family.

Archived