Star Tours

jtyasu

I don't think so. But I have read about groups of travel agents being invited aboard ships for tours. This is especially true of newer ships that want to publicize and promote themselves. With the stricter security precautions post-9/11, it is very difficult for "regular people" who have no connections to visit a ship (for any reason). That said, if you are a bigwig and/or know a bigwig (either of the ship or corporate NCL), you might be able to arrange a tour.

On embarkation day of our Alaska cruise last June, some of the staff (CD staff, I believe) conducted a tour of the ship for any interested passengers. There were announcements over the loudspeaker and I believe it was in the Freestyle Daily....wait, I'll go get it.

Yep, there it is, "1:30 pm and 2:30 pm Guided ship Tours with the Cruise Director's Staff...Meet outside Spinnaker Lounge, Deck 12 Forward".

I don't know if they will have it for other sailings, but it DID exist, at least once!

can you get an orientation tour of the ship before embarkation

Re-reading your question, I am not sure if I answered it correctly? You DO have to embark first before you take the tour that I mentioned. This information doesn't apply to someone visiting a ship on a day that they are not ticketed to sail.

Hope this helps

Julie is correct:D We had the same thing a few weeks ago on our cruise. I prefer to wander around helplessly for a week before I figure it out!

One hint- the cabin doors on the starboard side are blue, on the port side they are red. That helped me turn the right direction when I got off the elevator- but which way to go down the hall was always confused me. I get plenty of exercise just wandering the wrong direction. Maybe one of those tours would be beneficial...

Julie, they also conducted tours on embarkation day on the Star. Here's the wording from the Freestyle Daily: "Guided Ship Tours with your Cruise Director's Staff - This does not include tours of the galley, engine room, or bridge." There were two tours: 1:30 and 2:30 pm.

However, I think the OP was looking for a tour before embarkation.

Archived