Walking Tours in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan

Headhoncho

I'm heading to Alaska(first time) for a cruisetour in June. I'm particularly interested in walking tours of the above mentioned ports. Generally museums, old saloons, historical buildings and sites would appeal to me.

I'd appreaciate any comments from people who have been there indicating "must see" attractions, local lore and how best to get arround each location(ie. transportation).

If you google a Port's name, followed by 'visitor information' you'll find the town's web site. The Ports promote tourism so they have informative web sites about local sights and activities. Many will even send you a free visitor guide.

ie google 'ketchikan visitor information' and you'll get ketchikan's web site. This link will open to the walking tour. They provide free maps at the visitor booth for self guided tours.

http://www.ketchikanalaska.com/culture/tours.html

Skagway is skagway.com

If you want to learn more about the town's history, why don't you buy an Alaska travel book, or borrow one from your library?? like Frommers. Then you'll have a better appreciation of what you're experiencing.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/juneauandsoutheastalaska/

If you are interested in the history Skagway, consider visiting the Skagway Museum and Archives. It is well worth a visit for anyone interested in the Klondike gold rush.

If you have access to a car, also consider driving the few miles out to Dyea. Dyea was the other gold rush community, and was the site of the start of the Chilkoot Trail. A few people still live there. The National Park Service has a campground there plus have now marked some of the old building remnants. The Chilkoot Trail was the land access to the Klondike, and the iconic photos of the stampeders climbing the ice stairs to the summit were taken on the Chilkoot Trail.

If you go to the Visitors Center in Skagway they have free walking tours led by park rangers. If you want to do it on your own though, try this. It was fun. We actually walked all the way out to the Gold Rush Cemetery and back. It was a long walk, but we really enjoyed it. DH complained when we started out and it was so far, but to this day he is still saying that was the best day we spent in Alaska.

http://www.skagway.com/skagwaywalkingtour.pdf

We enjoyed the Skagway Walking Tour led by the park ranger very much. It is free. Available five or six times a day if I remember correctly.

Ketchican has a self-guided walking tour. I think the maps were available at the cruise dock. Could have been at the beginning which was a city park, I think.

If you go to the Visitors Center in Skagway they have free walking tours led by park rangers. If you want to do it on your own though, try this. It was fun. We actually walked all the way out to the Gold Rush Cemetery and back. It was a long walk, but we really enjoyed it. DH complained when we started out and it was so far, but to this day he is still saying that was the best day we spent in Alaska.

http://www.skagway.com/skagwaywalkingtour.pdf

For clarification- it is not Skagway's "visitor center", it is the National Park Visitor Center. These are two different locatons.

http://www.nps.gov/klgo

I'm heading to Alaska(first time) for a cruisetour in June. I'm particularly interested in walking tours of the above mentioned ports. Generally museums, old saloons, historical buildings and sites would appeal to me.

I'd appreaciate any comments from people who have been there indicating "must see" attractions, local lore and how best to get arround each location(ie. transportation).

Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska have very comprehensive "town" descriptions and attractions to consider in all the ports.

Many thanks to those who posted suggestions to my request for recommendations for "Walking Tours in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan". I am considering each suggestion as I plan my trip to Alaska.

Any further suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

There is a walking tour of Ketchikan that you can download from amazon that is under $10. I just put it on my Ipod, and we listened to it as we walked around Ketchikan. You can use it every time you visit Ketchikan. Once you go to Alaska, you can't wait to go back!

• 3 months later...

We are going to creek street in Ketchikan. I heard there is lots to see. Look up the web site Creekstreet.com You can also go to married mans trail walking distance from creek street. Very beautiful.

Archived