Amsterdam - raw herring/onion sandwich??

bazzaw

The last and only time I was in Amsterdam was in 1979. It was summer - and my best memory of the city was a small floating pontoon in one of the canals, on which was a small shed and chairs/tables. They sold beer and very fresh sandwiches with raw herrings and onion there. I have held that memory for the past 32 years - and in June I will be back for a single day in Amsterdam.

Can anybody kindly confirm that these places still exist??

Thank you

Barry

I am reliably informed by a Dutch collegue that street vendors still sell this local delicacy (although the herring is salted and not really raw).

He tells me that one of the best is near the Rijksmuseum.

Broodje Haring or nieuwe haring. Most fish (street)stalls and marketstands sell them with or some without bread, but with onions and/or pickles option.

The best hering usually comes in around beginning of June.

Plenty of places where you will eat this.

Is fresh herring available in April? My husband dearly wants to find a place that sells this in Amsterdam but if it's going to be totally out of season when we're there, he may be better off finding some other dutch foodstuffs.

Yes it is available and fresh all year. Only the ""new"" catch starting in June is the young hering which is a bit more red and has more "bite".

Yes it is available and fresh all year. Only the ""new"" catch starting in June is the young hering which is a bit more red and has more "bite".

Interesting!! Can you describe what you mean by "more bite".:confused:

Barry

Archived