Terrible Accident at Disney Wonder

orangelena

Ok,ok. I agree with all the comments about parental control. I've been taking my daughter on DCL since she was 4 and she never left my sight or was more than a couple of seconds away when she was anywhere near water. Still, it seems like kids and water are so potentially dangerous that DCL would want someone there just to be ultra safe and to avoid blog chains like this one. I think they have made the decision that their liability is less with a no-lifeguard policy than it would be if they had lifeguards. The important thing is safety. Seems that they could err on the side of over caution since there will always be distracted, litigious or inattentive parents. Isn't the real issue saving a child's life?

Ok,ok. I agree with all the comments about parental control. I've been taking my daughter on DCL since she was 4 and she never left my sight or was more than a couple of seconds away when she was anywhere near water. Still, it seems like kids and water are so potentially dangerous that DCL would want someone there just to be ultra safe and to avoid blog chains like this one. I think they have made the decision that their liability is less with a no-lifeguard policy than it would be if they had lifeguards. The important thing is safety. Seems that they could err on the side of over caution since there will always be distracted, litigious or inattentive parents. Isn't the real issue saving a child's life?

So, since "kids and water are potentially dangerous", is DCL the only cruise line that should have a lifeguard on duty at the pool?

I don't know of any cruise line that has lifeguards on duty at the pool.

So let me get this straight...

You know there are no life guards yet you think it's someone's responsibility but your own to watch your kid in the pool?

I'm sorry for your child, but she is entirely your responsibility. Not the crew's, not other adult's, but yours and yours alone. Frankly I would have either gotten in the pool or stayed right along side it if my three year old was swimming. If she were under "for some time" than you weren't properly monitoring her. You have no one to blame but yourself.

I must say I have to agree.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

So, since "kids and water are potentially dangerous", is DCL the only cruise line that should have a lifeguard on duty at the pool?

I don't know of any cruise line that has lifeguards on duty at the pool.

Disney is the only cruise line that is directly marketing to families with young children. We expect more from DCL as far a children's safety is concerned. That is why we have saiLed with them five times in that past and have already booked our 2013 New Years cruise on the Fantasy and the July 2013 trip on the Magic to Europe.

Disney is the only cruise line that is directly marketing to families with young children. We expect more from DCL as far a children's safety is concerned. That is why we have saiLed with them five times in that past and have already booked our 2013 New Years cruise on the Fantasy and the July 2013 trip on the Magic to Europe.

I disagree. Carnival and Royal Caribbean market to the same demographic. Disney just offers a more upmarket and niche experience.

Even with lifeguards present, a child is ultimately the parents responsibility. We belonged to a swim club with a lot of lifeguards when I was a kid, but my mom was always right there in the water or within arms reach on the pool deck until we were probably around seven or so--easily able to stand up with our head out of the water. And even then she was still watching us until we were around 10 or so and very proficient swimmers. (We were all in the swim/dive club as we got old enough to participate.)

Your child's safety is YOUR concern and never, ever expect it to be anyone else's unless they are in your employ.

"No Lifeguard on Duty" signs were posted. That means - no one is watching you or your child - but you. That also means if you can't live with that than don't go in the water - very simple. It never ceases to amaze me how some people expect others to watch/protect their children. If you're not up to the job (it ain't that tough) then don't have children or don't bring them on a cruise.

I have to say I agree with all the poster's above. But as a Mom of 7 I find the OP's post has some holes that leads to questions for me!!

She states that there is a label saying No Guard on Duty WHEN DID SHE NOTICE THIS..AFTER OR BEFORE the accident??

She also states she had to "JUMP" in after her daughter...really can't jump in to that shallow of a pool, or she would have injured herself!!

Also she claims, that her daughter was under "for some time" How does she know this??? Was she just sitting there watching her, waiting and wondering when she would resurface? Or waiting for another parent to JUMP in after her??

Then she goes on to say that there was a crew member who saw the situation and got her a towel, what exactly did he see?? The whole situation or just a wet mom in street clothes?? I have a VERY hard time believing that if this crew member seen the WHOLE incident that all he did was give her a towel!!

Also she doesn't specifically say she went to the ship's Doc, or to guest services etc. so my guess is she just ASSUMED that this was a incident!! If DCL was unaware of anything happening, how were they to respond to you OP? Your little girl is not the first child on DCL or any other line, that has slipped under for a second.

What exactly did you want them to do or say or give to you?? Children big and small slip or trip all the time around water (among other places), some may get water in their nose and mouth, others may skin themselves. This is a reality of raising children.

I'm really at a loss of what you expected from DCL, where they to make an announcement or give you a free cruise??

All judgements about parenting skills aside, why do you think a cruise line that markets to families with children does not have lifeguards? They have cast members who monitor going down the slides on all four of the ships but no life guards. Why?

I think that it's a matter of liability. If DCL posts "Lifeguards" then they assume liability for the people in the pool. Some parents will feel free to leave the kids in the pool. If DCL has cast members at the pool and posts "NO LIFEGUARDS" signs them parents will be more likely to stay and look out for their own kids.

Note that the kids' clubs will never bring the kids to the pool or to the beach.

Wow CruisingMouse, what an excellent comment:

Also she claims, that her daughter was under "for some time" How does she know this??? Was she just sitting there watching her, waiting and wondering when she would resurface? Or waiting for another parent to JUMP in after her??

Still, it seems like kids and water are so potentially dangerous that DCL would want someone there just to be ultra safe and to avoid blog chains like this one.

If DCL really wanted to be ultra safe, they would drain the pools and put a tarp over them. This would go a long way towards reducing the risk that any child might drown while sailing on their ships.

Show of hands, please, if you support this policy. Anyone? No? Then I guess the alternative is to accept that there's always an element of risk in the world out there, and that we as parents need to do our job and keep watch over our own kids as best we can.

When I saw the tagline for this thread, I thought something really bad happened. Totally agree with everyone here, sorry OP. Not that this situation wasn't bad, it's just that what do you expect when you report something like this once you're home? and if it was felt to be that big of a deal, why wasn't anything said while on board? Frankly, that pool is insane. i'd certainly be right there with them or choose a time of day when every toddler on board isn't there.

I think that it's a matter of liability. If DCL posts "Lifeguards" then they assume liability for the people in the pool. Some parents will feel free to leave the kids in the pool. If DCL has cast members at the pool and posts "NO LIFEGUARDS" signs them parents will be more likely to stay and look out for their own kids.

Note that the kids' clubs will never bring the kids to the pool or to the beach.

Well said Host Mick. In my 10 years if monitoring this website, I have always found you to be the voice of reason. Thank you for your thoughtful insights.

First of all, who describes their child as "the kid". Anyone who refers to their own child as "the kid" bothers me in the first place. Quit blaming eveyone but yourself for your lack of parenting. A three year old should never be across the pool from their parents in the first place. Put your drink down and watch your "kid". Don't blame Disney for your lack of parenting skills. I wonder if this really happened in the first place and if so, I am very grateful the child is fine.

It is clear that she was culpable, not Disney. But I still think the level of nastiness here is uncalled for.

Actually, it looks like this thread was fairly well behaved as compared to what could have erupted. The posts were very blunt in their opinions to a very loaded topic.

There is no way I would leave my 3yo on one side of the pool while I was on the other side. You should have been right by her so she would not have been underwater "for some time". Entirely your fault. No one else is paying attention to your kid and no one will pay more attention than a parent. It was your responsibility to watch her. Sorry.

Some people have more than one kids, in case you do not know that. The pool is not that large, it is not just a was a mile away.

Very interesting. I was working on the ship that week and there were NO reports of this onboard in the Voyage Incident Reports. Not saying it didn't happen, but it was clearly not reported at the time for a report to be filed. Also, if you look at the OP's past posts her last one was in December (more than a MONTH after the cruise!) and all she talked about was being able to bring her booze onboard!:eek::mad: Seems to me she has no sense how to parent and wants to blame DCL, who CLEARLY state there is no lifeguard, for her horrible parenting skills. Move along. You will get no support here (although we are ALL very happy your child is OK in spite of you).

By "All I talk about" you are referring to my one post about alcohol???:) no need for drama!

Well, it is clearly a forum for Disney lovers who will not hear otherwise:)

My point was that Disney is hardly using the resources where they are really needed and seems to overuse it when they are not. Life guard is a must if they really care about safety.

And that they did absolutely to follow-up with me after. Even after I left my comments twice.

Feel free to continue ladies and gentlemen! I will not further interrupt your Disney- worshiping exercise! :)

First of all, who describes their child as "the kid". Anyone who refers to their own child as "the kid" bothers me in the first place. Quit blaming eveyone but yourself for your lack of parenting. A three year old should never be across the pool from their parents in the first place. Put your drink down and watch your "kid". Don't blame Disney for your lack of parenting skills. I wonder if this really happened in the first place and if so, I am very grateful the child is fine.

Maybe not English-native speakers? The ignorance amazes me....

Well, it is clearly a forum for Disney lovers who will not hear otherwise:)

My point was that Disney is hardly using the resources where they are really needed and seems to overuse it when they are not. Life guard is a must if they really care about safety.

And that they did absolutely to follow-up with me after. Even after I left my comments twice.

Feel free to continue ladies and gentlemen! I will not further interrupt your Disney- worshiping exercise! :)

Doubt this is "Disney- worshiping exercise". This can happen anywhere and I would guess the reaction on any board will be similar.

On the spot when the accident happened, did you request for assistance?

So what exactly are you expecting to get from the cruiseline now?

Archived