Terrible Accident at Disney Wonder

orangelena

Just curious - -

Does anyone know of ANY cruise line that has lifeguards at the pools ?

:confused:

I have never heard of one. I don't see the need for lifeguards, as every parent I've ever known with a toddler or preschooler was always within arms reach of that child while they were in the water.

Well, it is clearly a forum for Disney lovers who will not hear otherwise:)

My point was that Disney is hardly using the resources where they are really needed and seems to overuse it when they are not. Life guard is a must if they really care about safety.

And that they did absolutely to follow-up with me after. Even after I left my comments twice.

Feel free to continue ladies and gentlemen! I will not further interrupt your Disney- worshiping exercise! :)

I disagree. I would much rather have them handing out wipes to try and keep the whole ship healthy. I don't see the need for life guards, it's a parents responsibility to be within arms reach or better yet in the water with their child, not on the other side of the pool expecting others to babysit for you.

I'm not a Disney worshipper, I've got no problems criticizing them where it's due. I do however believe in responsible parenting, which doesn't include leaving a three year old unattended in a pool. If parents want some free time, they should put their kids in the club where they will be supervised.

Wanted to share some pretty bed experience and disappointing follow-up from Disney...

We went on a cruise on Disney Wonder, we loved it at first, but two days until the end of the cruise my 3yo daughter nearly drown in Mickey's pool.

It is very shallow, but I guess she lost her balance even though she knows how to swim and went under the water. I was on another side of thepool when I realized that she was struggling under the water to get some air. The area was full of adults, but noone noticed:( I had to jump in my clothes into the pool to get her out.

It was extremely scary experience. I realize that there is a label saying No Guard on Duty, but you have crew members at every restroom giving napkins and not have anyone at the pool seems absolutely unreasonable.

My daughter was under the water for some time, and even though she looked fine and I was really scared of dry drowning since she was very sleepy after the event. So I had to watch her really careful that day

afraid that something might still be wrong. That was really not the

vacation I wanted to have at Disney cruise.

There was a crew member who saw the situation and got me a towel when I got out of the pool in my wet street clothes. But that was all the

follow up. Noone followed up with us later to check on the kid. I gave

the description of the situation in my feedback form when we are leaving the ship on the last day - noone contacted me.

I emailed the customer service after waiting for weeks for any follow-up. The reply was - I am sorry it happened, but we hope you will sail with us again! Seriously???!???

I am really surprised by the fact that no one cared about the accident. The ship had so many crew members and one of the most dangerous spots was not staffed. The accident happened, and no one seems to care.

Where were you, off getting the drink of the day? :mad:

Hello all, newbie to the forum.....

First, I'm not a legal expert, and although not 100% sure but I believe cruise ships have video cameras that monitor certain parts of the ship to investigate possible accidents; especially pool areas.

For example, what if someone decides at 2am to fake a slip and fall on the pool deck to receive compensation (yes, those people are out there). Would DCL, or any cruise line want to hassle with bogus claims and possible settlement. The answer is no, and this leads me to think they do have monitoring systems in place to view any accident.

As for the OP, be happy your child was not seriously injured.

Orangelena:

I'm not a "Disney lover." In fact, I've never been on Disney cruise (going on my 1st in the Fall). I merely was reacting TO YOUR ACCOUNT OF THE INCIDENT - nothing more. What you described was so clearly your fault it doesn't take a rocket scientist (or a "Disney lover") to determine it.

You said you saw the "No Lifeguard" signs. Thus, I assume you understand English. You said you were on the other side of the pool - your words - not ours. You said your child was under water "for some time" - again, your words - not ours. Thus, from your own words - YOU WERE NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO YOUR CHILD. You are the parent - not Disney. You have responsibility for your child - not Disney.

Maybe it's time to accept the fact that - at that moment - you fell down as a parent. It was a bad time to do so. Blaming Disney will not change that fact. Then, it appears you came on this Board to elicit sympathy and accuse a cruise line of something you failed to do. I've been a member of this forum for six years (but rarely post), and for the most part, people here don't "beat around the bush." If they think you're whining or unreasonably bashing something or someone, they will tell you. There's nothing wrong with that - you posted first - you get what you get. Take your lumps, thank God your daughter is ok, and LEARN FROM THIS INCIDENT.

Archived