22 Carnival Cruise Passengers Robbed in Puerto Vallarta

LauraS

My itinerary already has 2 days in Cabo. What are they going to do now? Take out PV and make it a 3 day cruise to Cabo?! :eek: I hope not.

Btw, we live in a very affluent part of South Orange County, CA. DH's store was just robbed at gunpoint last night around 8pm. Bad stuff happens everywhere.

I've never heard of it (a large group of tourists on a sponsored outing being robbed at gunpoint) except to cruise passengers.

It certainly happens. I have heard about it in Egypt, just for a recent example. And they weren't cruise passengers. Buses being stopped and passengers being robbed. And train robberies were a common thing here in days gone by.

As much as we'd love to change our Caribbean cruises to experience the Mexican west coast, with all the serious bad news about that country that never seems to end.......just can't do it !

Earlier this month .... the latest U.S. State Department warnings pretty much closed the window for us:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/10/usa-mexico-travel-idUSL2E8DA0R020120210

As much as we'd love to change our Caribbean cruises to experience the Mexican west coast, with all the serious bad news about that country that never seems to end.......just can't do it !

Earlier this month .... the latest U.S. State Department warnings pretty much closed the window for us:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/10/usa-mexico-travel-idUSL2E8DA0R020120210

I really hate flying all across the country to just have the opportunity to take a caribbean cruise. I wish I didn't love SoCal the way I do. But its great when you have to run the AC in February.

I really hate flying all across the country to just have the opportunity to take a caribbean cruise. I wish I didn't love SoCal the way I do. But its great when you have to run the AC in February.

I hear ya, sister ;)

We've done the Splendor twice now - we'll miss her - but we're going to probably jump on the Dream in November for the Western Caribbean.

Supposed to be doing a cruise on the Inspiration in May. I'll be interested to see what happens after this.

I know that my company, Disney, is pulling the Wonder from this route permanently.

Sorry I cannot agree with all these comments that "this happens everywhere" == yes, crime is happening but this should NOT be happening where cruise lines take us == the cruises don't need to be bringing us, their PAYING passengers, to dangerous ports!! They have an obligation to keep us safe! Plus the cruise lines really push the ships excursions on all of us, tours & activities which are supposed to be safer than venturing out with some other local vendors.

Ironic that my wife and I suddenly decided today that we should book the Splendor in April for our 20th anniversary. ha ha Just researched airfares, taxi's, cabin options, etc. - then saw this. :-)

Oh well, PV is our favorite Mexican city so I don't see us changing our plans due to this sort of thing. We don't usually do organized excursions anyhow - just shop, eat, and hit the beach. Oh, and I guess Memo's House of Pancakes if it's still there. :-)

-Dave

Sorry I cannot agree with all these comments that "this happens everywhere" == yes, crime is happening but this should NOT be happening where cruise lines take us == the cruises don't need to be bringing us, their PAYING passengers, to dangerous ports!! They have an obligation to keep us safe! Plus the cruise lines really push the ships excursions on all of us, tours & activities which are supposed to be safer than venturing out with some other local vendors.

They sell you their tours on their safety, but that obviously isn't the case. I like my private tours and wonder if a big American cruise ship excursion isn't a more enticing target. ;)

Ironic that my wife and I suddenly decided today that we should book the Splendor in April for our 20th anniversary. ha ha Just researched airfares, taxi's, cabin options, etc. - then saw this. :-)

Oh well, PV is our favorite Mexican city so I don't see us changing our plans due to this sort of thing. We don't usually do organized excursions anyhow - just shop, eat, and hit the beach. Oh, and I guess Memo's House of Pancakes if it's still there. :-)

-Dave

Yes Dave! Thank you for not being a lemming like so many others.:(

ohhhh nooooo!! i leave for mexico next friday with pv being my one stop i actually purchased a ship excursion. i am supposed to be doing las caletas which is a boat ride to a secluded island. im nervous....if they even keep pv now,.

We did Las Calestas in November 2011. You go from the ship to the excursion boat without really leaving the protected area at the docks.

And the island is private so I don't think you will have any problem. The whole day on that excusion was great.

This is exactly what I think :)

Life doesn't come with any guarantees. You take a change every time you step out of your house. There is only so much any company, including the police, can do to keep you safe. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

http://www.reuters.com/article2012/02/10/usa-mexico-travel-idUSL2E8DA0R020120210

We do an annual cruise to the Mexican Riviera every year, and we leave on the next one in 19 day! Puerto Vallarta is one of our favorite ports and we are not going to stop because of this.

Mexico is the #1 destination for US tourists and the over-all per capita crime rate is pretty good compared to many US cities... particularly Washington, DC. I have every confidence that Carnival and the Mexican government will provide measures to increase safety.

The State Department message is bureaucratic CYA; just doing their job. If you read it carefully, 95% of Mexico is not mentioned.

I think that if you were on that bus with your child some of you wouldn't be so flip about what is going on in Mexico. I love Mexico! I've been their many times as my SIL has a timeshare on the beach in Cabo. I've been all over the CC boards today looking for info re the Splendor as we were thinking of taking our annual spring break cruise there. Now we will have to give it some very serious thought because I'm sailing with the DH, DS (16) and his friend (16). I really doubt now that my DS's friend's parents are going to let their son go with us and I understand that because I don't want to endanger my kid's or anyone's elses kid. There is very little crime where we live, very little. And that is why we live where we do. So, we'll have to give it a lot of thought before we buy our tickets. I'm very sad about this for lots of reasons. I'm especially sad for the 22 people that had their lives put in danger and I pray that they will all be okay emotionally going forward. This was not a simple little incident to the people on that bus and I don't think the situaltion calls for "well it happens everywhere"! When was the last time you've heard of a busload of tourists being held up at gunpoint in the U.S.? Get real people!:confused:

Mousey, comparing a bus load of tourist held up in the US to a bus load of tourist held up in Mexico are not the same because you said you want to take your DS and his friend on a cruise, which means you won't be in the US. Here is another incident:

http://www.travelblog.org/Topics/5764-1.html

Stuff happens everywhere.

Mousey, comparing a bus load of tourist held up in the US to a bus load of tourist held up in Mexico are not the same because you said you want to take your DS and his friend on a cruise, which means you won't be in the US. Here is another incident:

http://www.travelblog.org/Topics/5764-1.html

Stuff happens everywhere.

CW, this is the last time I will respond to one of your posts because what you just posted doesn't even make sense! Really, you need to put your flag down for a second and take a break. You're getting tiresome. Just because some people don't agree with everything you say doesn't mean you have to keep harping on the issue. I think you've made your point clear ad nauseum at this point!

Count me in as one who has no desire to visit Mexico. CYA warnings or not, I've read about more bad junk going on in Mexico, and a government that is either too inept or too corrupt to effectively deal with it. Yes, bad stuff can happen anywhere, but part of my personal responsibility is to make sure I stay out of situations/places where the probability of bad stuff happening is higher. I can't always assume that someone else is always going to be vigilent of my safety.

A busload of tourists getting robbed at gunpoint, and no one is apprehended? This tells the robbers that they can probably repeat the same thing with the same result. Sure, it may be just an isolated incident, but even one is enough to generate enough bad publicity for a cruiseline. I look for more cruiselines to pull out of questionable ports. Maybe with the loss of that tourist revenue, will the government take a harder line about violence against their cash cow.

I'm not going to scoff at people who still wish to visit these places. I believe folks are generally grown-up enough to make their decisions. However, it is my choice not to visit questionable places. And it's no one else's place to tell me I'm wrong.

Archived