22 Carnival Cruise Passengers Robbed in Puerto Vallarta

LauraS

I've only been on one cruise, and it was an E. Caribbean cruise. We went to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. Of all those places, the only issue I had with was Nassau. We went to a beach that we saw on a map within walking distance of the port. It was clear to me the government has purposely let this beach go to trash because it was dirty, run down, etc.. So we paid for a taxi for Paradise Island. Walking between the port/cab area and this trashy beach was the only time I felt that if something were to happen, it would happen then. I know that sometimes beach/island living is done on the cheap. Things are costly, so folks may not necessarily fix things up.

The issues with Mexico are more than just this one incident. Yes, we have killings, shootings, and robberies in the US, but the vast majority of them involve affiliated, closely or loosely, players. Drug deals gone bad, robbers hitting drug/stash houses, etc.. To me, the example of the young child getting caught in the crossfire doesn't rank as bad as this incident in terms of safety as a cruiser. In that instance, it was a fluke, random incident. It would be no different than driving to Spring Break and having a reckless driver, intoxicated or not, causing you to crash resulting in your death. There are always risks with everything we do. The difference here is that cruise passengers were specifically targeted. This could be an issue, read below.

I've never been to Mexico, but many relatives have. I refuse to go there. For starters, they seem to indicate they are a first world country. There have been numerous cases of US citizens crossing the boarder with no guns/firearms, but a forgotten round of ammunition. These people have been jailed. Hopefully these cases work themselves out. Usually you hear of the issue, then you don't see the results. My guess is that the US Consulate office makes some deals and people are deported without having to spend years in a Mexican jail/prison. On the flip side, there aren't many places, if any, a single round of ammo on US soil would land you in jail for weeks or months. Mexico doesn't seem like a place of freedom that, for whatever reason, I used to get before doing more research.

Now we also have the drug issue. I read an economic magazine by Richard Maybury. He makes a claim that Mexican drug war is actually a civil war. He brings up a good point that Mexico is more like a handful of countries that were forced together as one (think old USSR). The government seems to be fairly corrupt, and despite the pictures of wealth from the popular tourist areas, it is a poor country, and that means limited tax revenue for police, criminal justice, etc.. This author says that prior to really getting into drugs, those who are part of cartels view themselves more as freedom fighters, fighting a corrupt central/national government. He said decades ago, kidnappings were common, as were bank robberies. Now, drugs are a primary source of funding these different groups/militias. If we legalize drugs here, their money stream on that end dries up. What do you think will happen then? These directed attacks, purposely at tourist, could end up becoming more and more common.

Even if the drug stuff doesn't affect the tourist areas, you end up with a country where law enforcement is pushed to areas where violence has seen an uptick. That pulls LE/military (which is used as LE in Mexico) from other areas. Also there is plenty of corruption among the LE community. There are many confirmed stories on line. Here is a story that may or may not be true, or clouded by the issues of mass consumption of booze during a spring break: My sister went to spring break in Cancun many years ago. Two of her friends, guys, rented scooters from a local merchant. They were your typical used and abused scooters. When they returned them, the merchant claimed one of the guys owed more for damage he didn't do. He refused the pay and the merchant calls the police. A police officer places him in handcuffs and they are driving out of town. The kid supposedly is getting scared and offers the officer money if he just takes him back to his hotel. The officer breaks a u-turn and takes the kid back, the kid ends up paying $100, maybe $200. I also know of a similar story, but this was one where a guy was doing wrong: Urinating in public in an alley. The officer was said to basically say 'Give me some money and you can go free.' Nothing outrageous, but still a shake down...if true.

I'm sure Mexico has some nice areas. I would like to visit, but there are three issues:

#1: It is a foreign country. Despite you thinking you have rights, you don't. It would likely be hard to sue any governmental entity in Mexico for some rights violation. Even visiting Canada could come with risk. Any foreign country could bring problems, and legal aid in those situations can be made more complex for the fact one is a foreign national.

#2: I don't speak Spanish. There is nothing worse than being in a bad situation and not being able to talk the talk.

#3: The violence is bad, and it could only get worse. I don't know what really is behind the issues of Mexico, but I hope the issues get worked out. Drug war, civil war, fight against the government....whatever the issue, the violence is real, and getting pretty bad.

And for the record, I remember that post about Jamaica. That combined with another incident from a co-worker (Cornered into an area by a few men, with young daughters) has made me cross that place off my list. There are beautiful places outside of these more poor, high targeted tourist robbery countries. While most the crime is likely theft, if robbery isn't checked, these cruise lines will mark these locations off their list.

Day at sea cruises aren't for me. However, I do like the idea of an Alaskan cruise, where days at sea are limited. Also the New England area cruises are something I plan on looking into in the future.

I've only been on one cruise, and it was an E. Caribbean cruise. We went to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. Of all those places, the only issue I had with was Nassau. We went to a beach that we saw on a map within walking distance of the port. It was clear to me the government has purposely let this beach go to trash because it was dirty, run down, etc..

---

I'm sure Mexico has some nice areas. I would like to visit, but there are three issues:

#1: It is a foreign country. Despite you thinking you have rights, you don't. It would likely be hard to sue any governmental entity in Mexico for some rights violation. Even visiting Canada could come with risk. Any foreign country could bring problems, and legal aid in those situations can be made more complex for the fact one is a foreign national.

#2: I don't speak Spanish. There is nothing worse than being in a bad situation and not being able to talk the talk.

#3: The violence is bad, and it could only get worse. I don't know what really is behind the issues of Mexico, but I hope the issues get worked out. Drug war, civil war, fight against the government....whatever the issue, the violence is real, and getting pretty bad.

And for the record, I remember that post about Jamaica. That combined with another incident from a co-worker (Cornered into an area by a few men, with young daughters) has made me cross that place off my list. There are beautiful places outside of these more poor, high targeted tourist robbery countries. While most the crime is likely theft, if robbery isn't checked, these cruise lines will mark these locations off their list.

---

While I don't agree with your decision to not travel, I do appreciate that you evenly apply your concerns to both Mexico and other ports that may have criminal issues. No reason to travel outside of your comfort zone.

That one crappy beach you mention in Nassau has actually been cleaned up nicely in recent years. You probably wouldn't even recognize it.

I've only been on one cruise, and it was an E. Caribbean cruise. We went to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. Of all those places, the only issue I had with was Nassau. We went to a beach that we saw on a map within walking distance of the port.

That is Junkanoo. It used to not be maintained, but is now open year round and government run.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk

We have a friend that is originally from Southern Mexico. The area he is from isn't listed as a "travel warning" but he said it's very unsafe and people are beheaded quite frequently there. Just because it hasn't made the news and an advisory hasn't been issued yet, doesn't mean it's safe.

He will travel back to Mexico to see some of his relatives. He leaves his wife and children at home because he knows it's not safe. Once he gets in Mexico he continues his journey by bus. He said every time he goes to Mexico his bus is stopped by cartels. They literally get on the bus and "look around". This has happened multiple times and the person that's experienced this is from Mexico.

As of about 5 minutes ago, he said he doesn't feel Mexico is safe and he isn't traveling there because of it. It has nothing to do with the Carnival situation. It has to do with overall safety. I went to the government's website and looked at the "warnings" and I noticed something that I think is alarming. These "warnings" aren't listed for one specific area in Mexico such as Northern Mexico. They are literally scattered everywhere. That should tell people that the problem is very much widespread. As I was going through the areas listed I noticed some very popular destinations for excursions such as Mazatlan. I know it's a popular place for tourists. Apparently within 7 months of 2011 there were 300 murders in that area. It goes on to state that more crimes are being committed in "tourist areas".

I just thought I'd share my little bit of information.

We have a friend that is originally from Southern Mexico. The area he is from isn't listed as a "travel warning" but he said it's very unsafe and people are beheaded quite frequently there. Just because it hasn't made the news and an advisory hasn't been issued yet, doesn't mean it's safe.

He will travel back to Mexico to see some of his relatives. He leaves his wife and children at home because he knows it's not safe. Once he gets in Mexico he continues his journey by bus. He said every time he goes to Mexico his bus is stopped by cartels. They literally get on the bus and "look around". This has happened multiple times and the person that's experienced this is from Mexico.

As of about 5 minutes ago, he said he doesn't feel Mexico is safe and he isn't traveling there because of it. It has nothing to do with the Carnival situation. It has to do with overall safety. I went to the government's website and looked at the "warnings" and I noticed something that I think is alarming. These "warnings" aren't listed for one specific area in Mexico such as Northern Mexico. They are literally scattered everywhere. That should tell people that the problem is very much widespread. As I was going through the areas listed I noticed some very popular destinations for excursions such as Mazatlan. I know it's a popular place for tourists. Apparently within 7 months of 2011 there were 300 murders in that area. It goes on to state that more crimes are being committed in "tourist areas".

No ships are going to Mazatlan right now. As of right now, tourists are safe (as safe as any tourist destination) in PV, Cabo, Mayan Riviera, Cancun, and Coz.

I have many friends from Mexico too and they will confirm that many many areas are unsafe there, but agree that the tourist areas are pretty well protected because they don't want to lose that income.

I specifically asked a couple months ago, "Is it really that bad?" and one friend told me "Worse". But then reiterated that the trouble is along the US border as well as several places outside of Mexico City and that they would have no problem going to Puerto Vallarta or Playa del Carmen (the specific places I asked about).

EDIT: I do have to say though, that I am not entirely confident that crime doesn't eventually spill into those regions. If the cartels start to fear losing their battle with the govt, they could start to try to hit where it hurts the most. We'll see in the next few years. Regardless of the debate here on CC, I truly feel sorry for the folks in those areas where crime is completely out of control.

If someone has not, and will not visit an area of Mexico, but is only "from" there, I question how they know of "regular beheadings."

I am not questioning what your friend says or thinks, but I happen to actually live full-time in Mexico... in an area that is listed in the travel warning. I have seen media reports in both Mexican and US media that is blatantly false or exagerated to the extreme. Where there actually was an incident, it was reported as if it was in the city center, when actually it was 10 miles away, up a canyon. When they reported it involved an "American citizen" it turned out to be a "Mexican-American" with warrants for arrest on both sides of the border. He was no tourist!

The Mexican media is very "immature" and does not have the same standards of professionalism as in the US. They follow the theorum, "if it bleeds, it leads" and strive for the most sensational slant to any story. And the US media never comes here, and only reports what is reported to them as if they were citing AP as a source.

My point is, that yes, things do happen. Rarely do they happen as frequently, dramatically or with as much gore as reported in the press. But if they reported it as I actually witness things as a resident here, it would not sell many papers or make many headlines.

Just as in this incident where we were first told a "busload" was robbed by a masked gang... and it turns out perhaps to be one guy, and not on the bus. But the story will linger in the minds of many that a gang of treacherous drug cartel bandits robbed a bus of cruise passengers. The truth is bad enough, but they have to enlarge everything beyond reality.

There are plenty of truths to naysay about... but Mexico deserves better, and I choose not to live in a cacoon.

..... but I happen to actually live full-time in Mexico... ....

Well, THAT explains why you are trying so hard to encourage vacationers, who need to safely vacation with their families, that what's happening in your country is not enough to worry about .

Best of luck on that one, buddy !

I don't want to turn this in to a "he said... he said" but because many of us want to continue foreign travel, particularly in Mexico, these issues need to be addressed. It is not intended to be argumentive, so I won't respond endlessly; we all believe what we choose. Everyone is entitled to hold their own opinion so I will respond now, but not argue. If someone wants to ask questions directly, that's okay, but let's not hijack the thread.

However I do want to comment on....

I've never been to Mexico, but many relatives have. I refuse to go there. For starters, they seem to indicate they are a first world country.

"They?" Not sure I know of this to be true... I live in Mexico and don't believe this is a correct perception.

There have been numerous cases of US citizens crossing the boarder with no guns/firearms, but a forgotten round of ammunition. These people have been jailed.

Again, I don't believe this to be true. I have heard of one case where the record, conduct and appearance of the alledged victim was the issue and he was suspected of far more than 'one round.' He was detained on the pretext of one round, much as a broken tail light can get you pulled over in the US... but nothing came of it. People tell stories for their own purposes, and it is convenient when nothing can be verified.

Mexico doesn't seem like a place of freedom that, for whatever reason, I used to get before doing more research.

I think if you spent more time in Mexico (I know you won't, and that's okay) you would find that while the legal system is different, there is plenty of freedom. Things change... Mexico's current form of government is relatively new, having copied our constitution about 100 years ago.

Now we also have the drug issue. I read an economic magazine by Richard Maybury. He makes a claim that Mexican drug war is actually a civil war.

Perhaps the cartels would like it to be so. Perhaps it is in a handful of areas. But 95% of Mexico is relatively untouched by the cartel violence. The cartel presence in 95% of Mexico is the same as drug gangs in the parts of the US. We don't judge the US by what happens in East LA do we? I will go to most parts of Los Angeles, but I avoid East LA.

Washington, DC has more murders than Mexico City if you want to compare capitals. The murder rate in New Orleans, Detroit and many other cities in the US is worse than Mexico. And certainly there are more school kids murdering other school kids in the US.

Calling it a "civil war" is a little silly. The government is acting appropriately to combat this... and that is why the cartels fight back. But they fought back in Columbia as well... until they were defeated.

He brings up a good point that Mexico is more like a handful of countries that were forced together as one (think old USSR).

"Good point?" Based on what... his conjecture? Mexico has states copied from our United States, and form of government. Same thing... same comparison. In fact... Mexico is actually "the United Mexican States."

This author says that prior to really getting into drugs, those who are part of cartels view themselves more as freedom fighters, fighting a corrupt central/national government. He said decades ago, kidnappings were common, as were bank robberies. Now, drugs are a primary source of funding these different groups/militias. If we legalize drugs here, their money stream on that end dries up. What do you think will happen then? These directed attacks, purposely at tourist, could end up becoming more and more common.

Only a fool would call drug cartel murderers "freedom fighters." It is really insulting to freedom fighters around the world and throughout history.

The corruption in Mexico was due to one party rule, which ended about 11 years ago. The new government is fighting the corruption and the drug cartels... and that is why it has erupted in the public. The cartels don't like that they don't have their way, and that the corruption is ending. Attacking the non-corrupt government for combating the influence and corruption of the cartels would be like blaming Elliot Ness for the violence in Chicago when he went after Al Capone!

The crime statistics indicate that crime is down in most parts of Mexico. In every category. Not in Cuidad Juarez perhaps... but that is not a tourist area is it? So the attacks are far from becoming "more common" as you contend... just the opposite is true.

#1: It is a foreign country. Despite you thinking you have rights, you don't.

Mexico is #1 in the Americas for World Heritage Sites, so yes, Mexico has some nice areas (which is only possible if all of your other assumptions are false). Contrary to your statements, you do have rights in Mexico. I live in Mexico... I absolutely know of my rights here. And I know that I don't get into a big argument with a scooter renter that causes me to be hauled away by the police! To be blunt, I don't believe their story.

Regarding #2... isn't it amazing that Mexico has for many years been the #1 tourist destination for US citizens? Over 19 million visit the country annually. And amazingly, the vast majority of them avoid "bad situations" and don't need to be able to "talk the talk." The Splendor has around 3,000 passengers and is in Puerto Vallarta most weeks, as is the Spirit... and this single incident is what many will cite as reasons not to go? Silly.

You say, "The violence is bad, and it could only get worse." That's just wrong. Check it out... there are more kidnappings per capita in Canada than in Mexico.

Day at sea cruises aren't for me. However, I do like the idea of an Alaskan cruise, where days at sea are limited. Also the New England area cruises are something I plan on looking into in the future.

And Disneyland. Mostly white people speaking English where we don't have to stretch our comfort zones, learn about different cultures, or deal with anyone different than ourselves.

I'm not being rude. I'm speaking the same way as you, as a white, US citizen, American born and bred, but one who lives full time in Mexico and sees things first-hand, and much differently than others who view things from afar.

If the simple, normal, and the usual are what one looks for in foreign travel, then perhaps the raft trip that takes you to Huck Finn's Island is as much adventure as they should attempt.

the story isn't quite right. we were on the Splendor, the tour was the jungle tour, it was 1 robber who caught them walking back to the bus the tour leader relay to guests what he(robber) wanted them to do drop money/watches/cameras/etc and run. we did the zip line tour which was a bus ride to mountains and back to town felt very safe. after we went back to ship we change clothes and talk to taxi cab driver who drove us to a diner he knew of and waited for us and took us back to ship.the news reports kindof blew it up yes i'm sure it was crazy however the bright side NOBODY got hurt. would i go back? planning another trip next yr, hope for 1 day cabo and 2 days in PV

the story isn't quite right. we were on the Splendor, the tour was the jungle tour, it was 1 robber who caught them walking back to the bus the tour leader relay to guests what he(robber) wanted them to do drop money/watches/cameras/etc and run. we did the zip line tour which was a bus ride to mountains and back to town felt very safe. after we went back to ship we change clothes and talk to taxi cab driver who drove us to a diner he knew of and waited for us and took us back to ship.the news reports kindof blew it up yes i'm sure it was crazy however the bright side NOBODY got hurt. would i go back? planning another trip next yr, hope for 1 day cabo and 2 days in PV

Could you tell me,,where did your zipline tour go,,what location. Was it the same place as the hikers? I ask because in April I too am ziplining,,but not through the ship.

Well all I know is I've been sailing the MR annually for about 15 years now. This is the first year I am (probably) not going. Last cruise was Jan. 2011. The ports aren't that great to begin with (I like Mazatlan, but it's a non-issue, as no one stops there anymore), and enjoy zip lining in PV, but can live without it. Don't care for Cabo. Now trying to find another way to sail. I live super close to 3 ports in CA, so don't have to add airfare to vacation costs. Prefer the warmer weather cruises, so going north is not a great option.

:(

If someone has not, and will not visit an area of Mexico, but is only "from" there, I question how they know of "regular beheadings."

I am not questioning what your friend says or thinks, but I happen to actually live full-time in Mexico... in an area that is listed in the travel warning. I have seen media reports in both Mexican and US media that is blatantly false or exagerated to the extreme. Where there actually was an incident, it was reported as if it was in the city center, when actually it was 10 miles away, up a canyon. When they reported it involved an "American citizen" it turned out to be a "Mexican-American" with warrants for arrest on both sides of the border. He was no tourist!

The Mexican media is very "immature" and does not have the same standards of professionalism as in the US. They follow the theorum, "if it bleeds, it leads" and strive for the most sensational slant to any story. And the US media never comes here, and only reports what is reported to them as if they were citing AP as a source.

My point is, that yes, things do happen. Rarely do they happen as frequently, dramatically or with as much gore as reported in the press. But if they reported it as I actually witness things as a resident here, it would not sell many papers or make many headlines.

Just as in this incident where we were first told a "busload" was robbed by a masked gang... and it turns out perhaps to be one guy, and not on the bus. But the story will linger in the minds of many that a gang of treacherous drug cartel bandits robbed a bus of cruise passengers. The truth is bad enough, but they have to enlarge everything beyond reality.

There are plenty of truths to naysay about... but Mexico deserves better, and I choose not to live in a cacoon.

This person was in Mexico just a few months ago. He obviously speaks to his family on a regular basis. His parents still live in Mexico. As a matter of fact he mentioned something that he saw while he was there. Apparently, about 40 people were murdered and dumped in the middle of a highway. Yeah, I'd say he knows what he's talking about. He was born and raised there and came to the US as a high school exchange student. If he lived there, has family that still lives there and speaks to them on a regular basis and they're saying things aren't okay, I'm going to believe him. He has no reason to lie. Facts are facts. The violence is out of control. You don't hear of people being beheaded and dangled from overpasses in mass amounts or anything like that here in the US. The crime is widespread in Mexico. It's not in one isolated area. You can live in Mexico and try to encourage people to visit all you want, but I won't be there.

Could you tell me,,where did your zipline tour go,,what location. Was it the same place as the hikers? I ask because in April I too am ziplining,,but not through the ship.

we did the Los Veranos canopy tour, did not book with ship, you can google them you take a cab about maybe 2-3 miles from ship or you could walk just didn't which way. just tell a cab drive outside where ship docks they will take you cost is about $5. its right in town. from their they take you in a bus back thru town to the office where they pick more passengers. than its another 45 min to the site you pass several hotels along the way. you drive up to canopy tour they take you off the bus, point out where the restrooms and locker areas are. walk up to stageing area a little ways up wait to get fitted with helmets(take your own do rag or something to go under helmet) from you walk up to zip lines. don't know where the location where incident happen. the was also other zip lines the extreme canopy(very physical), other one was where the made the Arnold movie Predator talk with people from those they felt safe also. have info on a taxi driver very safe he's from Oregon he took us to eat later that nite waited for us took us back to ship Carlos email address Carlosalexxis_420@hotmail.com the los veranos web site is http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/reservation-policy/ sorry for the long winded story

Someone just commented on my blog with the CNN link, saying they were on this tour and that it was the same tour that I had complained to Carnival (and later the Internet) about last year.

(The only Carnival tour I couldn't recommend, I should add. My usual Carnival cheerleader pom poms had to be kicked to the side for a bit.)

If it's the same tour, it was incredibly sleazy when we took it, and perhaps shame on Carnival to not pay more attention to the specifics of the bad reviews (especially given all the details we gave them). I'm not surprised that something bad happened. The whole tour felt like a scam, and I'm not talking about the usual cynicism one brings to tours with long stops at Diamonds International, etc.

The short version (no pics, no names) of my review on the Carnival site is here: https://secure.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/305052/ (August 3/Shari. Note that no one has anything good to say.)

The long (rambling, but with some photos) version is on my site at http://www.shari.com/2011/08/carnival-splendor-again-the-city-and-tropical-jungle-escape-tour-in-puerto-vallarta.html

The super-short version is that what was supposed to be a brief walk around the city on our own followed by relaxing at a restaurant by a nature trail ended up being something else: a near-comical fast march past a couple of downtown locations, a lingering one-store jewelry stop in a back alley, a mandatory hike down an ugly dirt path (complete with cockfighting pens off to the side of a vacant sandy lot - this was the alleged and advertised-as-optional "nature" hike), at least 45 minutes of an unadvertised hard sell disguised as a tequila tasting under mostly direct sun among some concrete shacks, then a standing-only lecture (seriously, we were not allowed to sit) for them to sell a $60 seafood platter at the restaurant as we gazed upon a dry, trash-filled riverbed.

(And then sat among a bunch of tired, bored people as we hungrily waited for the one !@#% group that got the seafood platter to finish it and their drinks. The platter or a nasty-looking chicken dish were the only two food options. None of the vegetarian options, guacamole, quesadillas, etc. that the tour guide assured us would be there. We weren't even allowed chips and salsa unless we bought the platter or the chicken. Flies were all over the salsa anyway. Cokes were a dollar more than the guide said. It goes on and on, but mostly we were just bored and should have been back on the ship over an hour before that.)

ANYway, perhaps the commenter on my site is lying (why?) and the people who were robbed weren't on the same tour, but I bring it all up here because it's disturbing that Carnival had some warning of the sleazy (not just unenjoyable, but sleazy) nature of the tour and, for whatever reason, did not pursue it further. I suspect that the Shore Excursion people thought we were just disgruntled (although we took care to be extremely polite and offered to show them photos, but they didn't seem to care) or thought that the tour operator was telling the truth when they "expressed surprise" at our story. And the IT people who moderate Carnival's reviews before posting them probably only think about the reviews one a one-at-a-time basis and don't think to look for those excursions getting consistently negative reviews. Shrug.

After this incident, I would urge everyone to always give feedback to the shore ex desk and also post their reviews online - the good and the bad. I feel a bit guilty because although I love Cruise Critic, I still didn't post a review of that tour here. This was partially because for awhile I was too annoyed about the tour to want to dwell on it, and then when I did post my reviews online, it wasn't exactly current news any more. (Plus we all know what can happen on CC when you say something negative, no matter how many good things you have to say. I didn't really want to get into any drama.)

I know the online reviews didn't help these passengers, who either didn't research excursions ahead of time (like so many of my friends who prefer to "be spontaneous") or disregarded the accounts, but maybe a few more negative reviews about this tour would've caused Carnival to take notice. Later we ran into others from our tour - people who we know were unhappy - but they hadn't said anything to the desk. We almost didn't, either. It's very tempting to write off the bad experiences and get back to everything that's wonderful, and heaven knows no one wants to queue up at the desk if they don't have to, and it's certainly discouraging when you're sent off with a 25% refund and what feels like a pat on the head. But the next time you think "meh, it's over, just let it go," think about the 22 people who might've had a much happier vacation if more people had complained about this tour.

Someone just commented on my blog with the CNN link, saying they were on this tour and that it was the same tour that I had complained to Carnival (and later the Internet) about last year.

I do believe it was this tour. I was going to book it, but then decided not to after reading your review and then finding a couple other similar reviews. I arranged a private version via taxi instead.

This is the one tour that has disappeared off of the excursions for my upcoming cruise.

Usually I take such reviews with a grain of salt, but yours was very similar to the others I found - and I found no positive comments.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/26/world/la-fgw-mexico-casino-20110827

and ask yourself if the people who did this cared about where the poor innocent people were from, or whether their families would report the incident to the American Embassy or if any of these people felt safe before this night. Wake up.

Which cruise port was this in? Cabo? PV? Coz? Costa Maya?

NO! It was right in the heart of the advisory.

It was a ridiculously senseless tragedy for the families and a disgusting move on behalf of the worthless individuals who did it, but it was right in the heart of the country's problems far from tourist areas.

Carnival has now removed the City & Jungle Escape Tour details from their website, including reviews. (You can follow the link, but every page is blanked out.) I guess it was that tour after all.

For now, this link to the reviews still works: http://reviews.carnival.com/3513-en_us/305052/city-tropical-jungle-escape-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=submissionTime&dir=asc

Even I in all my disgruntlement can't claim to have felt unsafe, just scammed. And maybe it was just a coincidence that the robbers picked that tour. (I don't know the details.) But if it turns out that the tour operators were in any way involved, I won't be surprised, either.

I just read on the News here in Canada that Carnival has stopped all shore excursions in PV.

FamilyFunCruise, can you sight your source for this? I have googled this and all I can find is the articles saying that;

'Carnival Cruise Lines Inc. says it is suspending on-shore nature excursions in the Mexican resort of Puerto Vallarta...'

Thanks

we did the Los Veranos canopy tour, did not book with ship, you can google them you take a cab about maybe 2-3 miles from ship or you could walk just didn't which way. just tell a cab drive outside where ship docks they will take you cost is about $5. its right in town. from their they take you in a bus back thru town to the office where they pick more passengers. than its another 45 min to the site you pass several hotels along the way. you drive up to canopy tour they take you off the bus, point out where the restrooms and locker areas are. walk up to stageing area a little ways up wait to get fitted with helmets(take your own do rag or something to go under helmet) from you walk up to zip lines. don't know where the location where incident happen. the was also other zip lines the extreme canopy(very physical), other one was where the made the Arnold movie Predator talk with people from those they felt safe also. have info on a taxi driver very safe he's from Oregon he took us to eat later that nite waited for us took us back to ship Carlos email address Carlosalexxis_420@hotmail.com the los veranos web site is www.canopytours-vallarta.com/reservation-policy/ sorry for the long winded story

I went online and found that Puretovallarttours.net which is a broker just as the ship is (broker gets 5 stars on tripadvisor). Los Veranos is one they listed,,but silly me went with the one called Mundo Nogalito (also 5 starts on Tripadvisor).

I picked that one because the lenght of time for the tour is shorter,,giving us enough time to get back to the ship, clean up, then take a city tour I arranged also through that broker.

Now I am re-thinking this and perhaps should change to Los Veranos and forget the tour of the city.

I had everything lined up perfectly, ending with a dinner in the steakhouse after a grueling day. But I am thinking perhaps Nogalito is not the way to go (unless these canopies are actully in the same local,,then it makes no difference). I had to not go using the ships excursion because it was so much cheaper bypassing them, and thier excurions all included repelling and we don't want o repel (heck my knees would not like it).

I went online and found that Puretovallarttours.net which is a broker just as the ship is (broker gets 5 stars on tripadvisor). Los Veranos is one they listed,,but silly me went with the one called Mundo Nogalito (also 5 starts on Tripadvisor).

I picked that one because the lenght of time for the tour is shorter,,giving us enough time to get back to the ship, clean up, then take a city tour I arranged also through that broker.

Now I am re-thinking this and perhaps should change to Los Veranos and forget the tour of the city.

I had everything lined up perfectly, ending with a dinner in the steakhouse after a grueling day. But I am thinking perhaps Nogalito is not the way to go (unless these canopies are actully in the same local,,then it makes no difference). I had to not go using the ships excursion because it was so much cheaper bypassing them, and thier excurions all included repelling and we don't want o repel (heck my knees would not like it).

from the time we got off the ship around 9sih till back which we got off in the city 3ish shop around downtown for awhile got a taxi to take us to ship shower/change went off ship around 530 or so lots of time for a nice dinner..if you want can send you pics from the zip lines tour aolso have a video might be too big for email...i email them directly next day a comfirm email witha receipt to print w/instructions

I know the online reviews didn't help these passengers, who either didn't research excursions ahead of time (like so many of my friends who prefer to "be spontaneous") or disregarded the accounts, but maybe a few more negative reviews about this tour would've caused Carnival to take notice. Later we ran into others from our tour - people who we know were unhappy - but they hadn't said anything to the desk. We almost didn't, either. It's very tempting to write off the bad experiences and get back to everything that's wonderful, and heaven knows no one wants to queue up at the desk if they don't have to, and it's certainly discouraging when you're sent off with a 25% refund and what feels like a pat on the head. But the next time you think "meh, it's over, just let it go," think about the 22 people who might've had a much happier vacation if more people had complained about this tour.

Thank you for that comment. I think one of the big problems with the Mexican Riviera for cruising are the tour companies used by the cruise lines. My wife and I took the City and Beach tour in PV last year that we booked through Carnival. We just went from overpriced shop to overpriced shop (probably giving "mordida" - kickbacks) to the tour companies, and then to a way overpriced restaurant on the beach. We complained about it to the Excursion Desk, but they just shrugged and did nothing.

Thank you for that comment. I think one of the big problems with the Mexican Riviera for cruising are the tour companies used by the cruise lines. My wife and I took the City and Beach tour in PV last year that we booked through Carnival. We just went from overpriced shop to overpriced shop (probably giving "mordida" - kickbacks) to the tour companies, and then to a way overpriced restaurant on the beach. We complained about it to the Excursion Desk, but they just shrugged and did nothing.

I no longer take city or island tours sponsored by the ship. I usually find a private taxi a little while after everybody else has left the port. Tend to end up with a less crowded tour (if shared) and one that is dictated by the people in the taxi.

I have learned that each driver has specific places they like to take people to - if he doesn't get a kick-back he is helping out friends or family by stopping there. I like passing the bigger buses on our way to some little unknown restaurant. I've done this at every island and have made out well every time, except once where I didnt care for a restaurant.

Archived