Can I use my iphone just for photos on ship?

cayenneblue

I think the difference is that some people want professional-quality photographs and will pay some big bucks for an amazing DSLR and all the underwater gear. It's a hobby for which they are willing to invest money and time.

Then there are folks like me who just want a few simple snapshots that I can stick on my screensaver. A cheapie point-n-shoot or my iPhone works great for that. And I know my phone is always on my hip and I can whip out my phone to snap a picture rather quickly, unlike my Nikon. I also like that I'm not packing chargers and equipment for another piece of electronic gear.

Not saying one is better than the other, but I am recognizing what works for me and acknowleging that it may not work for someone else.

To each his own...

Google Lifeproof ... Its a great case so far ... there are some nice youtube videos demo'ing it in pools and snorkeling.

Has anyone used it to a depth of, say, 30 feet? Have you used it? How does the touchscreen interface work when it is in a case?

I'm skeptical, but willing to research it.

Has anyone used it to a depth of, say, 30 feet? Have you used it? How does the touchscreen interface work when it is in a case?

I'm skeptical, but willing to research it.

I would like to know too. It is only rated at like 6-10 feet though. I would love to use my iPhone underwater. But I cannot imagine a touch screen working underwater. Perhaps the saltwater's capacitiveness helps?

one thing I've read is that the case is only guaranteed dry at 50 times opening and closing the case. This seems like a non-starter for me. I would love to hear more about it though.

I've taken it to the pool but have not pushed the depths.

It is a very minimalist case and the screen cover is almost not noticeable when properly installed per instructions.

The video will work under water but you have to start it above water. The capacitive screen doesn't work under water, nut you could still take photos using the volume up button.

The iPhone has a built-in feature called Airplane Mode that disables all 3G/Cellular network access and lets you use only Wi-Fi. In addition you also have the ability to disable data roaming.

These are the only two things I do to my iPhone when I travel and I'm still able to use it for photos/videos and to listen to music.

Do I need to turn off "Find my iPhone" in addition to turning off data roaming/airplane mode?

Does powering it down by pressing the button for four seconds and sliding power off shut EVERYTHING (calls, data, locating, texts, etc) off?

Iphones will not work without the sim, even to take pictures.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk

My old 3GS with a disabled SIMcard (now effectively an iTouch) still works over Wifi and takes good enough pictures.

What it cannot do is it cannot connect to any 3G or 4G network or make a phone call. It can call on Skype through WiFi and text using Touch or Whatsapp.

On our last cruise, we put our phones in Airplane Mode, & we could still take pictures/videos, listen to music, use the clock & alarms, etc. Plus, we didn't have to charge them all week! However, leave it on Airplane Mode until you are back in your country, because even turning it off for a minute will rack up charges. To be sure, I would call your cell phone provider & ask them what you can do to disable the texts/calls/usage during this time. :)

My teenage :confused:daughter wants to use her iphone to take photos only. Is that possible without racking up huge charges?

She gets TONS of texts, so I know we need to turn that off. Will airplane mode, and having AT&T turn off international roaming make that impossible, or is there still a chance that some may come through?

If we do that, can she still take photos? And if she does take the photos, can they be uploaded at a later time (back in the US)?

Thanks. She loves the pictures that her iphone takes, but I don't want to take any chances!

As long as you keep the phone in airplane mode you should be ok!

Putting the phone in airplane mode will do it. If you're paranoid you could take the SIM card out.

I never thought of that, but that could eliminate the problem of having to worry about data charges as well....

On my last cruise I extensively used both my iPhone 3GS and an Olympus SP-600UZ point and shoot I bought off of HSN. Although the iPhone camera took some 'OK' pictures it couldn't even come close to the $160 camera especially when it came to low light, sunrise/sunset, and interior pictures. The only advantage I can see for the OP's daughter to use her iPhone to take pictures is to be able to readily show her friends after she gets back from the cruise. Otherwise I would recommend buying a decent 'real' camera and leave the iPhone at home.

Here is a link to some of the pictures I took with my camera:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57377062@N04/sets/

Can't take pictures like this with an iPhone 3GS:

6513749555_fa13185200_z.jpg

6513526203_6952fbfe58_z.jpg

6508794455_df347bff9c_z.jpg

6508550989_9cd519d60e_z.jpg

6496127551_742f821ae6_z.jpg

6488603241_9dae18d8de_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

wasnt the Olympus SP-600UZ made in 2011 and the iPhone 3g has a 3MP camera and a crappy lens element designed in 2009?

Sensor size is a big thing but i think having something handy at all times matters most.

I know a few photogs that have taken some amazing pictures on a 4s, simply because it was right there. In the end its about being there and composition. You can have a Leica S2 all day, doesnt make a difference if you can't take the camera out compose and snap the shot in time.

Either way Put it on airplane mode or pull the Sim card. Once its activated it doesnt care, It'd Activated.

Only time it'll relock and go into activation mode is if you put in a sim that isn't an AT&T sim...so you're all good!

the one thing the 4S really stinks at...low light...lots of noise...

Edited by SeveNx7

When I take the sim out of mine, it requires me to plug it in the laptop or pc and connect to itunes. I cant do anything except make emergency calls.

Sent from Tapa-Talk. Please forgive my brevity and lack of punctuation.

When I take the sim out of mine, it requires me to plug it in the laptop or pc and connect to itunes. I cant do anything except make emergency calls.

Sent from Tapa-Talk. Please forgive my brevity and lack of punctuation.

and your on 5.1?

• 3 months later...

Good info, on the iPhone you can also turn off cellular data and/or data and phone roaming in settings. I did this in Canada to avoid data downloads, but it still allowed incoming/out going phone calls in case of an emergency.

With a teenager I would remove the SIM as a just in case. Try it at home to make sure she can still do everything she wants. Without the SIM there is no connection to anything, period (except WiFi).

That way there is no "oops I didn't mean to take it out of airplane mode".

• 1 year later...

For iPhone 5, I removed SIM card but kept airplane mode OFF. I could send and receive texts but could not send/receive voice calls. I could take photos and video. Of course, it completely disabled data capabilities.

I then turned the airplane mode to ON and then I could not send texts either. Once I reinserted the SIM card and disabled airplane mode, everything was back to normal and the photos and video were still there.

So you could just put your phone on airplane mode and that would do the trick but if you want to be extra safe, I think the best plan if you are traveling with a smartphone and want to use it for photos/video/music is to remove SIM card and turn on airplane mode.

Thanks for this thread! Now I know I can take my iPhone and use it for photos and video without the worry of a huge bill when I get home! :D

• 3 weeks later...
The iPhone has a built-in feature called Airplane Mode that disables all 3G/Cellular network access and lets you use only Wi-Fi. In addition you also have the ability to disable data roaming.

These are the only two things I do to my iPhone when I travel and I'm still able to use it for photos/videos and to listen to music.

I have the kindle app on my iphone as I'm not planning on taking proper books with me . Our cruise is part of a longer holday we are taking...about 5 weeks in total. Can I still access the downloaded books if the phone is in airplane mode?

I have the kindle app on my iphone as I'm not planning on taking proper books with me . Our cruise is part of a longer holday we are taking...about 5 weeks in total. Can I still access the downloaded books if the phone is in airplane mode?

Depends. Not using the cell phone signal (because airplane mode is on) but if you turn wifi on (which you should be able to do without turning airplane mode off, depending on which iPhone you've got) then you can download using wifi, assuming you have a package (whilst onboard) or can find a free wifi spot.

Quite a few ifs and buts there so it's probably easier to download loads before you set off. That way you've also got more choice.

Quite a few ifs and buts there so it's probably easier to download loads before you set off. That way you've also got more choice.

Thanks for your quick response. I've already downloaded the books using the kindle app...I just wasn't sure if I could read them in airplane mode. I have an old 3G smart phone and so far have only used my phone for the basics (call/text/photos) .