Need "different" Destinations out of Galveston!!

dixie54

We've taken 10 cruises out of Galveston and all but one have been the Coz, Jam and GC itinerary. We're sailing again in April but this time doing the Belize, Hon, Coz itinerary.

We're less than an hour from Galveston so for us the convenience of the port is more important than the stops. That might make a difference if we didn't enjoy the stops.

But to answer your question, Yes, I'd like to see a different itinerary from Galveston. One of our Galveston cruises was a partial transit panama canal on Celebrity. I'd really like to see that one again.

Eventually, Cuba will be opened up. I for one would love some more ports, but not sure which ones. I like Coast Maya. I liked Santo Thomas, Guatemala, but seem even Norwegian found it problematic.

Longer cruises are getting restricted by fuel it seems even out of Florida. However I really LOVED the longer cruises to Panama and Coast Rica. I would go back there in a heart beat!!!! (RCI placed a ship out of Cartagena so that pretty much knocked out many of those cruises from the U.S.)

DON"T bring back Key West or (yuck) Bahamas. Lets leave that to Carnivore.

What about a shorter cruise option like Carnival. I think we would take 2 or 3 more shorter cruises each year if there was a 4 day option. Having over the weekend and only needing 2 days off of work would be totally worth it for us.

Besides Cozumel is our favorite stop so just there and back would be fine with us. We have contemplated taking the Carnival Triumph to Cozumel for a quick getaway but can't pull the trigger to pay the money and not get C&A points.

Maybe someday......

There are, unfortunately, few itinerary options when cruising out of Galveston and even fewer if you want short two or three night cruises. If you are looking for new itineraries you will most likely have to look at other embarkation ports. It is a trade-off that many people would like to have to make: cruising from a nearby port vs cruising to new or different locations.

The only way they could have different itineraries would be longer cruises. Our 1st out of Galveston was a partial transit of the Panama Canal - but it was 12 nights. Stopped in Panama and Costa Rica besides the usual suspects. Belize is a great stop and we'd like to make it to Roatan. We prefer Costa Maya to Coz, but docking there has gotten hazardous to some ships (mostly RCCL if I remember right). Santo Tomas was a great stop too, but civil unrest makes it too dangerous.

There is some talk floating about that CCL may experiment with a 10 day southern carribbean from Galveston , maybe starting July 2013, on the Magic. We were on it, and were told this by a well known Carnival individual, so we'll see. We are fortunate to be a few hrs from port, and do not really want to fly, but after 10 cruises or so, it would be nice to see something different. I wish they would replac Progreso for Costa Maya or Calica, where the Celebration used to go.

I will add that the Roatan stop is really good port day. We got in some extremely fun zip lines and some beach time the day we were there. Carnival and HAL were docked way off at their spot so traffice where we were was just for Mariner and not bad at all.

More stops would be nice of course, but where to go from what they currently have is rather problematical.

There is some talk floating about that CCL may experiment with a 10 day southern carribbean from Galveston , maybe starting July 2013, on the Magic. We were on it, and were told this by a well known Carnival individual, so we'll see. We are fortunate to be a few hrs from port, and do not really want to fly, but after 10 cruises or so, it would be nice to see something different. I wish they would replac Progreso for Costa Maya or Calica, where the Celebration used to go.

Would love a 10 day! did they indicate which ports? How did you like the Magic? How did it compare with the Conquest?

We love Roatan as a port also. Also, like Belize. We love al the other ports just wish for a little more variety:)!

We

Love cruising Rccl. BUT>>> We are really tired of the same 2 itineraries. Does anyone else agree??:)

Remember the old proverb: "I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet"? :eek:

At least you have a wonderful ship and two itineraries. When Mariner was on the west coast, she only had one (MR), and people wondered why RC had trouble filling those cruises. :rolleyes:

So, just be glad you have her in Galveston. As those of us on the West Coast can attest to -- RC giveth, and RC taketh away! :(

Be happy you have a ship so close and don't have to add the cost of airfare to take a cruise. In a round about way us land locked folk pay extra to have choices. :rolleyes: You have other choices, fly to Florida to catch a ship with different stops. :)

BonVoyage

Dawna

I guess I've been cruising too long........:) I did a 10 day many years ago on the Splendour of the Seas out of Galveston, which to this day is one of the best cruises we have ever taken........for whatever reason, those 10 days stopped. They just gave the cruiseline more port options out of Galveston which as many have mentioned is just too far North to get many ports in and still get back in 7 days.

Would love a 10 day! did they indicate which ports? How did you like the Magic? How did it compare with the Conquest?

We love Roatan as a port also. Also, like Belize. We love al the other ports just wish for a little more variety:)!

We

I have mixed feelings about the Magic vs the Conquest. I like the decor better on the Conquest. Magic is a little bigger, and we went on the first from Galveston, and all was not perfect, but I am sure they will iron out the kinks. There was no mention as to what ports if the 10 day does evolve. Did not get to talk to the person long enough..We had a busted thruster, so we spent 2 days in crummy water Progreso , and missed Costa Maya. Wait times were bad for MTD.

Another obstacle is that, except for Carnival, ships sail out of Galveston only in the winter/early spring. So the first & last sea days are often too cold to enjoy the deck, and that really puts a damper on shorter cruises. I would love to see longer cruises departing from Galveston or New Orleans (or both!). I hope we'll see RCI making some improvements in service & itineraries from Galveston when they start getting competition from Disney & Princess later this year.

Here in Florida, where we are located, some people have done the Western and Eastern itineraries 20 times, LOL, and it is a joke at travel meetings. But a cruise is a cruise and we find different things to do each time, well not twenty times LOL.

If you can do 50 days look at Carnival there is a repositioning cruise from California, around South America, all the way to New York City, WOW. If it were on RC it would have already been booked, but with Carnival and no perks, my bar bill would probably be more than the cruise LOL.

We did the Mariners repositioning cruse last year, around South America and would love to do the same cruise again.

Archived