Coming off Solstice, 9:40 flight

macruisefan

Okay, so I know it's better to be safe than sorry. But here's the hand I dealt myself:

Getting off the Solstice in Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday, April 1st. I have a 9:40 flight out of Ft. Lauderdale to Boston. I know, I should have booked a later flight, but it is what it is.

To rebook, or book an additional flight now is obscene. So, I'm just trying to get a look at the odds. I know you can never "be sure", but playing the odds is the best bet right now.

Assuming things run as they TYPICALLY do, seeing as I am one person, and I am capable of carrying my own luggage off, what do you think? Will I make the 9:40 flight, or is that a pipe dream?

if the boat is on time, if they clear customs trouble free, if you walk your own luggage off with the first passengers ((it was 6:30am last month), if you personally get through customs easily .........

yep you will make it. no problem

lots of ifs though

Foolish planning but good luck.

I've experienced too many glitches to plan that type of speedy departure.

But perhaps you have the luck of the Irish..

I've had the Immigration computers go off line while waiting to disembark.

I've stood in the security line at FLL for over 2 hours on one occasion.

We were on the Solstice last January and the Oasis last May. We carried our own luggage off and we were at the airport and checked in by 8:00AM. In May, we actually changed our 10:40 flight to a 9:15 flight and made it.

That being said, as aquaclass states everything must go right. And, it probably does most of the time.

Good luck!

You might also use a porter to take your luggage cub side . They seem to be able to go to a different line for cabs and get you into one immediately ( although that early there may be no line or waiting).

Thanks for the advice. I can't change the ticket without spending almost as much as a new one. So I just bit the bullet and booked an additional flight for the afternoon. I figure if I make my morning flight, I can pay the $150 cancellation fee and use the rest of the cost of the afternoon ticket for another flight in the next year.

I have made early flights out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale several times before, I just didn't know if it was much different on Solstice.

This is a piece of cake. DW and I do it routinely and have never had a problem on Celebrity or Princess, plus our flight is always at 9AM. Just be sure to take a cab which will cost you all of $15. You'll be at FLL before 8AM.

This is a piece of cake. DW and I do it routinely and have never had a problem on Celebrity or Princess, plus our flight is always at 9AM. Just be sure to take a cab which will cost you all of $15. You'll be at FLL before 8AM.

Hope things work out and that the "Luck of the Irish" is with you. You might check with your airline on whether you can get or do "stand-by" for a later flight if you get delayed. Fortunately, the Fort Lauderdale airport is smaller and more manageable than the massive Miami mega airport. We super loved the Solstice and hope things work well on the ship.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,621 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

....I have made early flights out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale several times before, I just didn't know if it was much different on Solstice.

I don't think the Solstice is different from any other cruise line. Making an early flight has always had the same pro's and cons. The only thing that's changed a bit over the years is that the ports and airports have gotten pretty busy on weekends and the number and size of ships have increased.

On April 1 there will be over 17,000 cruisers disembarking ships in Ft. Lauderdale and another 10,000+ disembarking in Miami. A similar number will have disembarked the day before you and some of them will have stayed over and be flying home Sunday morning. That is a pretty big load on customs, airports and transportation. The good news is that it's been like this on weekends this time of year for a year or more now so that the system works pretty well most of the time.

In any event it sounds like you've come up with a solid plan B, so you're all set now.

That's a little harsh. We have cruised out of a few times now and have made flights with that time with no problem. OP stated they would carry off their own luggage. Situations can arise with flights later in the day as well. Either way, you take a chance.

Not sure why you think this is so foolish. When sailing out of Port Everglades, we routinely book and make pre-10 am flights. In fact, you should easily be able to make pre-10 am flights out of Miami or West Palm Beach without much stress or risk. Next month, for example, we will be sailing Solstice and have a 9:30 am flight -- out of Miami. And we'll take our usual time and won't even be the first ones off the ship!

Of course it's possible...and yes, the odds are that you will make your flight.

After of a dozen cruises (very small number in comparison to others), we ALWAYS stay at least one night post cruise and the decision to do this has a lot to do with the final day on the ship.

For our cruising experience, we opt out of the nervousness/anxiousness of the vibe of a cruise ship on the final day by staying completely out of the way and getting the last possible luggage tag color (not even sure if Celebrity does that...but it has to offer something similar for organization for disembarkation purposes). We have discovered, for us, that this is truly the only way to enjoy any part of the last and final day on the ship.

No more waiting at the airport for 3-4 hours to board (especially if we happen to be flying coach), no more am stress of hoping that all the stars line up and HURRY, HURRY, HURRY off the ship, and have zero tolerance for that 80 year old that is getting a warm embrace from a cruise staff member as she/he holds up the line by only 4 seconds but feels like an hour for the passengers that are in a real hurry.

This strict timeframe really brings out the ugly in the most otherwise easy going people and it can really leave a bad taste in your mouth (either being the one that feels the need to push through because they have a very early flight....or the one that held up the line by receiving a loving hug from a staff member that made a difference in their cruise).

Just be kind if you must exit swiftly....and your urgency to exit the ship without too many joyful goodbyes/hugs or language barriers, or just some folks moving too "slowly" won't be shared by all.

Yes....it can be done. We just don't anymore because we found an alternative that works so much better for us and that last day doesn't turn into a bad memory for us or anyone else for that matter.

With a little luck and mindful consideration to the others on the cruise, you can make this early of a flight.

:-)

Not sure why you think this is so foolish. When sailing out of Port Everglades, we routinely book and make pre-10 am flights. In fact, you should easily be able to make pre-10 am flights out of Miami or West Palm Beach without much stress or risk. Next month, for example, we will be sailing Solstice and have a 9:30 am flight -- out of Miami. And we'll take our usual time and won't even be the first ones off the ship!

You are playing Russian Roulette; that is why this type of behavior is foolish. Seasoned travelers know that delays are not all that uncommon (so many things can happen; mechanical problem with the ship, search for person overboard, inclement weather, diversion due to medical emergency, delay in local authorities clearing the ship, customs being short staffed, equipment problems at the port, flat tire or accident on way to airport, long baggage lines at airport, long security line at airport, getting selected for extra screening either at customs at port or at the airport, etc.).

With such early flights one has minimal wiggle room and all but a minimal delay will result in a missed flight. Travel insurance does not assist when insufficient wiggle room is scheduled and these days flights often are flying full so not only might there be a considerable wait to procure another flight, but a hefty fee as well. If you keep booking such ill advised flights sadly it is just a matter of time until the odds catch up to you and you miss a flight.

I don't think the Solstice is different from any other cruise line. Making an early flight has always had the same pro's and cons. The only thing that's changed a bit over the years is that the ports and airports have gotten pretty busy on weekends and the number and size of ships have increased.

On April 1 there will be over 17,000 cruisers disembarking ships in Ft. Lauderdale and another 10,000+ disembarking in Miami. A similar number will have disembarked the day before you and some of them will have stayed over and be flying home Sunday morning. That is a pretty big load on customs, airports and transportation. The good news is that it's been like this on weekends this time of year for a year or more now so that the system works pretty well most of the time.

In any event it sounds like you've come up with a solid plan B, so you're all set now.

You are playing Russian Roulette; that is why this type of behavior is foolish. Seasoned travelers know that delays are not all that uncommon (so many things can happen; mechanical problem with the ship, search for person overboard, inclement weather, diversion due to medical emergency, delay in local authorities clearing the ship, customs being short staffed, equipment problems at the port, flat tire or accident on way to airport, long baggage lines at airport, long security line at airport, getting selected for extra screening either at customs at port or at the airport, etc.).

With such early flights one has minimal wiggle room and all but a minimal delay will result in a missed flight. Travel insurance does not assist when insufficient wiggle room is scheduled and these days flights often are flying full so not only might there be a considerable wait to procure another flight, but a hefty fee as well. If you keep booking such ill advised flights sadly it is just a matter of time until the odds catch up to you and you miss a flight.

Hi Macruisefan,

Agree with all 3 of the above statements... just too many unpredictables in my opinion.

We have family who have Wintered in Fort Lauderdale for several decades now... so we have flown in and out of various Southern Florida Airports... and I would say that BOTH Miami & Fort Lauderdale are extremely busy, and can be quite disorganized at times (I don't really like either of them... although they are convenient to wherever I need to be... Fort Lauderdale, The Keys, a Cruise)... and Post 9/11 Security for them can be a real PITA IMO... much more than I've found at some other airports on the Eastern Seaboard (do let us know if the Drill Seargent-ish guy is still barking orders at the top of his lungs at the TSA Security Check-Point at the Airport... talk about make people feel like a bunch of criminals !!)

I'm much like KYMBAKITTY, I like having lots of leisure time built into the days I fly... there is enough stress these days when it comes to that mode of transportation!! We did exactly what they did on our recent Solstice Cruise... LATE DEBARKATION and flew out the NEXT DAY (we also fly in a Day Early at the other end Pre-Cruise).

We will do the exact same thing for our 2013 cruise out of San Juan... just do not need the headaches, never a good way to end an otherwise enjoyable vacation.

Good luck to you... do come back and tell us how things went for you after you return home.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the responses (sort of). But it's kind of interesting. I asked a pretty simple question, what do you think the odds are of making a 9:40 flight? But most of the responses instead seem to think I'm some sort of dullard who couldn't comprehend that there might be problems.

Really? customs might take a long time? I never would have thought of that!

The airports are busy when seven cruise ships are in port?

My personal favorite however, was " Seasoned travelers know that delays are not all that uncommon". Gee, thanks for that. I am a seasoned traveler. But I didn't come on here and ask "is there anything wrong with assuming I'll make a 9:40 flight?". No I asked what you thought the odds were.

That's what cracks me up about this board. People have their pet topic (departure time, insurance, premium restaurants, etc...), and they just can't wait for the opportunity to pontificate about it. Regardless of the substance of the initial inquiry...:confused:

Its possible. Here is my recommendation- do the walk off, and you and your wife take turns standing in line in the MDR starting EARLY in the morning. When you self disembark you are supposed to take your luggage to floor 3 MDR- the elevators are terribly slow in the morning. They advise you to be there at 7:20 or 7:30- if you want to be first off, get there EARLY. What my husband and I did is not ever likely to be successful again- but we went down late, at 7:45. (on our particular cruise- Solstice Feb 5 disembark) we saw the LONG LONG line of people with luggage in the MDR, so we just went to 2. It turned out that while we were in the process of being told we had to leave that area (so that it would clear customs) the ship was cleared so we could get off. They had a group of 4 people being pushed by wheel chairs going first, and then all the upstairs people in the LONG line started pulling their luggage down the flight of stairs. (horrible way of doing things IMO.) My husband and I were so quick getting off that we were actually the first 2 people in customs. We were so quick the taxi's hadn't really lined up yet. But we were at the airport by 8. My next piece of advice is check your luggage with the porter on the curb- bring some tipping money. And them immediately go through the LONG and not sufficient security lines. Had we had a 9:30 flight, we would have made it NO problem. We actually tried to get on the 9:30 flight since we had so much time, but it was full, so we waited for our 11:30 one. You will be fine. You can do it, if everything works in your favor, just be a smart traveler!

Oh, even better- do not carry your luggage off- pre-pay for it to be taken to the airport by the cruise. (not sure if that fly time is allowed.) But they have a valet service (it is like $25 per person) with many airlines where you put your bag out on the night before and then take your luggage directly to the airport. This would make it quicker than having to even deal with luggage at all...

Oh, even better- do not carry your luggage off- pre-pay for it to be taken to the airport by the cruise. (not sure if that fly time is allowed.) But they have a valet service (it is like $25 per person) with many airlines where you put your bag out on the night before and then take your luggage directly to the airport. This would make it quicker than having to even deal with luggage at all...

Good idea, but the valet service is limited to flights leaving after a certain time, which I think is 11AM or Noon. So that wouldn't help with an early departure.

Also, the few times we've used the valet service in FLL you still had to wait for all the luggage to be offloaded from the ship as you had to collect your luggage in the terminal, take it through customs, and then re-check at a station just the other side of customs. So it would not be as fast getting off the ship as carrying the luggage off yourself as that group doesn't have to wait for the luggage to be offloaded from the ship and organized in the terminal.

The problem we encountered on the Solstice with the walk off is that we were on the 11th deck and could not get an elevator to go down to 3. They had shut down 2 of the midship elevators so every elevator that stopped was alread filled. My husband ended up walking down 8 flights with 2 suitcases. I only had 1 suitcase so I squeezed on an elevator going up so I could take it back down. If we were to do this again we would get up very early, go down to 3 with our luggage and wait until they allowed us off the ship. Once off, it was a breeze to get a cab to the airport.

There is no problem when things go smoothly. However things can go wrong and if they do you have to live with the consequences. As I've stated, we have disembarked only to find that Homeland security's computers were down and we stood around for over an hour as the system was rebooted. Not all disembarkations run as intended. If one plans for the worst case scenario then one is never inconvenienced. We all plan according to our own experience. I've been at Miami airport trying to catch a shuttle to FLL only to have the freeway blocked by an accident and I took the tri-rail to make my connection. May you continue to be as fortunate as you have been.

The poster has taken care of her flight times so she dosen't have to worry about it during the cruise.

I just have a word of caution for other cruisers. I always felt comfortable with a 12:00 flight out of FTL. I even take noon flights if I cruise from Miami. Never a problem. Until the last two years on my Celebrity cruises. On my Infinity cruise they did not have enough custom workers to clear the ship. Got to the airport at 11:30.

Last year on my Solstice cruise we got picked to have all of our bags to be gone through at customs. And you cannot hurry those people along. We had to sit and wait for quite awhile. Of all the cruises that I have been on that was a first for me. I had my mom who uses a walker and a friend with me. It was a first cruise for both of them and not a very good ending to a wonderful b2b cruise. We were told that they only choose three cabins per cruise. My age is what triggered the inspection I was 48:rolleyes: and my mom was 70 really!:D

Archived