What's in your carry on bag?

sukyrin

For the ship or the airplane??? If it's just the ship, then carry any valuables, Rx's and anything you need before dinnertime....your bags should arrive before you go to bed! It's up to you how many carry-ons you want to lug around. If the cabin isn't ready when you get onboard, you'll be carrying anything you brought on around with you.

I wear my bathing suit under my boarding clothes, so I can hit the pool straight off....and I don't need to find somewhere to change!

If it's for the plane, carry whatever you want...you are each allowed one carry-on. If you don't each need one, don't!

For the ship or the airplane??? If it's just the ship, then carry any valuables, Rx's and anything you need before dinnertime....your bags should arrive before you go to bed! It's up to you how many carry-ons you want to lug around. If the cabin isn't ready when you get onboard, you'll be carrying anything you brought on around with you.

Pretty much this for bare minimum, anything valuable, documents, medicine, essentials. Also on Carnival if you take your 1 bottle of wine per person and any drinks, they must be in your carry on. You can take 1 small bag for the basics or you could both take bags if you want. We take a lot of our stuff on in case our checked bag doesn't make it. It isn't too common but it does happen. I'd hate to be stuck with the clothes on my back for the entire trip.

Ship carry on has documents I needed to get onboard, change of clothes, camera gear, Rx meds, valubles like jewlery. I can usually get everything in one backpack, but make my DH carry his own. He has a nasty habit of stuffing his crap in my purse or tote. lol

You do not indicate the cruise line. For some cruise lines, there are restrictions on the beverages you can carry on and what must be in the carryon luggage. You may want to ask on the section for your cruise line.

Cruise is getting really close and I have NO idea what to put into my carry on bag....

Should my husband and I both take a carry on ?

Thanks ahead of time for your comments.

Think of it this way, anything that you check through could be lost or stolen.

Therefore, anything that you particularly value should be in your carry on.

Since we have to fly -- we take 2 carry ones -- on for each of us. And we back them the same for planes and ships. We do not have large carry-ons.

DH takes a lot of medications so we have a medical bag that contains those medications in their original bottles. We lso have another medical bag that contains things like tylonal, cough drops, etc.

We also pack all camera equipment in one of the bags.

All travel and cruise documents.

My carry on includes, DH meds, his contact lense solutions and his glasses in case he wants to change into them, my camera, my pj's and clean shirts for both of us just incase the bags got lost along the way. DH carries his large camera case with all the lenses

Pack anything you can't afford to lose in the carry on. For some this will be much for others it's just a few meds, electronics and jewelry. Just remember most cruiselines do not have the cabins ready for immediate occupancy upon boarding and whatever you carry-on may need to go up a possible long gangplank and stay w/ you until the cabins are cleared for all passenagers on a deck. So try to keep your carry-on to minimals that may need immediately (and want to keep an eye on) in the carry-on and try to keep your cruise documents and proof of identity on your person (if possible).

As others have mentioned if you are bring aboard drinks or snacks you may need to "carry" these on, but a mini-luggage cart or roll-on bag is also acceptable. Also if your cruiseline has a dinner dress code, on the off chance that your checked bags are not in your cabin by dinner time pack what you need to wear to dinner.

Pack everything that you want to take in the carry-on and a small back pack that way you do not even need checked bags to lug about. That's what we do and it works great, but of course we do not have the kitchen sink with us.

We carry minimal. A small bag with camera, passports/money/docs and an iPad. That's about it. I really dislike lugging stuff around with me until the cabin is ready. We don't swim on the first day....too many other things to explore, drinks to drink and places to visit. If our luggage doesn't arrive until after dinner, so be it. We usually dress fairly snappy when we board anyway.

Cruise is getting really close and I have NO idea what to put into my carry on bag....

We'll be driving to the port of San Pedro at the end of this month on the Sapphire and I usually take 6 bottles of water and then I buy larger bottles to refill them when I get to port (that way, I don't have to pay the high price on board + their 15% restocking fee)! LOL I'll buy the water ahead of time to save $$! We also carry our own wine on board and then open it in the cabin!

I pack all our toiletries and my makeup, hair stuff, hair brushes. Camera, jewelry and any meds we need plus our small first aid kit. I generally pack one casual evening outfit, in case we don't get our luggage delivered by dinner time, I can't stand going in the same clothes I've been wearing since morning.

All of this stuff can be unpacked the moment you get to your cabin, then when the suitcase arrives with the clothes it's just moments to unpack. We pack most of our clothing into a rolling garment bag,so it's all on hangers already, just hang up. Same with repacking, we hang the used stuff, shove it to the back of the closet and pack back into the garment bag the last day.

After all the cruises we've taken, I find that categorizing and having things packed according to where they will be (closet, bathroom, drawers, vanity desk) is the best way to organize pre-travel. No searching for those little items you know you packed somewhere.

I always use a tote bag for my carry-on.

My husband always uses a small back pack.

Between these two, we're then set for shore excursions. If we're doing a beach-trip, then my tote bag is just right for carrying towels. If we're walking around the port shopping, his day pack is just right for small purchases.

Things for your carry-on:

Most important of all: Your documents, ID, credit cards, and cash. You'll need these things to check in inside the terminal. In theory, the porters should ask you whether you still have these things in your possession as they take your checked luggage, but in reality things get busy and you don't always hear what they're saying. Of course, these things also fall into the category of "things that might be stolen".

Anything that might be stolen. Carry your jewelry and electronics onboard yourself. I know someone personally -- someone you'd think is too smart for this -- who had a laptop and an ipod stolen from checked bags. And I've heard stories on this board of things disappearing from checked bags; no one wants your clothes, but your ipad and camera are highly hock-able items, and you'll have essentially no recourse if they disappear.

Medicines, sunscreen, and anything you're likely to NEED between boarding and dinner. No explaination needed. We always board early, and our luggage usually arrives by 2 or 3:00, but that's no guarantee.

An ink pen. Sometimes they ask you to complete a health form while you're standing in line -- and sometimes they don't -- but an ink pen will be handy.

Sodas. I always bring a couple screw-top sodas, and I prefer to carry them on myself. I've never had any problem doing this. I do pack them into a ziplock.

It should be noted that if you are flying with the same carry on then there are liquid restrictions so for example a bottle of sunscreen more than the size limit will be confiscated at the aiport. Pop would not be allowed either of course.

DBF carries just his bathing suit, wallet, sunscreen, and a book in his backpack.

I like to get settled as soon as possible so I take all my toiletries and things that will need to be put in drawers in my rolling carry-on. I put a change of clothes for dinner for each of us in there as well. We usually fly in the day before so I have time to rearrange things between bags. Large ziplock bags make it easy to move multiple bottles, etc. pretty quickly.

Definitely both take a carry-on. Since I actually went on a 7 day cruise without luggage once, I now pack the absolute essentials in my carryon. Below is what I consider essential: (listed in order of priority)

1) Medications

2) Jewelry- not covered by airline if its lost or stolen so keep it with you.

3) Electronics- camera, computer,etc.. for same reason as jewelry.

4) Bathing suit with coverup.

5) At least 2 full sets of underwear- so you can wash one while other is drying.

6) A 1 quart baggie containing travel size- deodorant, hairspray, toothpaste, lotion, shower jel, shampoo, conditioner, dental floss, safety razer, toothbrush, and perfume.

7) Makeup bag- at my age I don't leave home without it!:eek:

8) At least 2 Shorts/capris and 2 T shirts. I usually travel in long slacks and comfortable walking shoes so I bring one dressy blouse that would go with those slacks and sandals in the event of luggage loss. I pack more clothes in carry-on if there is room.

All of the above will fit into a standard rolling carryon bag. Of course I alway hope that my full luggage will arrive but now I always pack a carry-on that I could survive with (and still enjoy vacation) if I had to incase airline looses the luggage.

If driving, I would carry on 1 bottle of wine each, 1 twelve pack of water or soda, bathing suit with coverup, jewelry, electronics, and medications. I'm not as worried about the cruise ship loosing my luggage as I am the airline.

My O/H has all the documents in his picnic backpack that carry's bottle wine & glasses etc for the hotel (not paying their prices for a drink) i carry little bolero shrug , underwear (in case my case goes missing) my passport all medication ,hand sanitiser ,pen ,paper ,& all the money in purses euro & pounds are in my backpack ,mobile ,specs,..... & i carry that bag everywere with me ..at night the important stuff door key, money ,medication ,hand sanitiser goes in a little wrist bag that i carry everywere again :)

OMG...I thought for a minute, this was me that posted (LOL). That's the same list I use for my carry-on.

1) Medications

2) Jewelry- not covered by airline if its lost or stolen so keep it with you.

3) Electronics- camera, computer,etc.. for same reason as jewelry.

4) Bathing suit with coverup.

5) At least 2 full sets of underwear- so you can wash one while other is drying.

6) A 1 quart baggie containing travel size- deodorant, hairspray, toothpaste, lotion, shower jel, shampoo, conditioner, dental floss, safety razer, toothbrush, and perfume.

7) Makeup bag- at my age I don't leave home without it!:eek:

8) At least 2 Shorts/capris and 2 T shirts. I usually travel in long slacks and comfortable walking shoes so I bring one dressy blouse that would go with those slacks and sandals in the event of luggage loss. I pack more clothes in carry-on if there is room.

Archived