you got to be kidding me!!!!!!

Uh, vinegar is actually acidic........:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar

Working with pool chemicals a lot that jumped out at me to. I was just about to point out vinegar is acidic when I saw your post. If they were looking for something the opposite of an acid they'd want a base with a high PH (alkalinity)... they would want something like baking soda or soda ash. But I have no idea if that helps canker soars.

If there is a next time, try vinegar :) I like it much better for relief than Aloe gel. Surely you could gather up some vinegar somewhere on the ship for free.

Try getting an 11 yo girl to let you put vinegar on her! I think the *itching about the sunburn would be less than the *itching about the smell of vinegar! :D:D

Do you have to pay first and file the paperwork if you have insurance through the cruise line? I always take a spray can of Solarcaine in case of sunburn. It's also good for insect bites and is easy to use because it sprays on.

Do you have to pay first and file the paperwork if you have insurance through the cruise line? .

Cruiseline insurance or at least RCI's CruiseCare is through Berkely Care. I am pretty sure you do have to pay up front and wait on reimbursement :o

I have only used CruiseCare through RCI but thankfully have never had to file a claim.

I would almost bet most of that $90 was just to see the Dr. Our friend came down with shingles on the Star princess and went to see the dr. The nurse at the desk right up front said it would be $65 just to see the Dr., even if no treatment was prescribed. She recieved anti biotics and the cost was over $120 including the medicine.

At least she was told up front what the cost would be just to walk in the door.

Changing the topic slightly . . . What OTC meds are in your travel bag? Ours contains:

Seasick meds -- also good for car sickness

Tylenol

Tylenol PM

Afrin type sinus spray

Cold meds pills for sinus type colds

Cold med pills for cough type colds

Bandaids with Neosporin built in -- large and small

Prilosec -- not sure what this does

And -- after being forced to buy it for our oldest on a vacation some time back -- canker sore medication

My husband brings a couple prescription meds, but these are the things that've been in our bag for years and we're almost always fine. We pack just a couple of each pill in a weekly pill dispenser and have names written in Sharpie. Anyone bring anything else?

Changing the topic slightly . . . What OTC meds are in your travel bag? Ours contains:

Tylenol

Tylenol PM

Afrin type sinus spray

And -- after being forced to buy it for our oldest on a vacation some time back -- canker sore medication

My husband brings a couple prescription meds, but these are the things that've been in our bag for years and we're almost always fine. We pack just a couple of each pill in a weekly pill dispenser and have names written in Sharpie. Anyone bring anything else?

Prilosec is an antacid, I believe. Stomach med.

It was a Doctors visit. They had to diagnose what the issue was and then provide the treatment. It turned out to be a canker sore, have no idea what that is but I am thinking it was what we call a mouth ulcer. But it could have been something else. I had a condition where the mouth ulcers were caused by a virus. And carb soda on mouth ulcers stings like crazy but fixes them up. And very cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tylenol

Tylenol PM

Afrin type sinus spray

Peroxide to cleanse a wound.Cortisone ointment for a rash.

I was on a Carnival cruise a few years ago. I fell on a excursion and had to go to the ships hospital. Since I was on a Carnival excursion when I fell they paid for everything. Medication, xrays, splint. I always carry a mini pharmacy with me when we travel. One year before a cruise we were sitting in our hotel room when I was flossing my teeth. Well my crown popped off. So now I also carry one of those dental crown kits too.

Tylenol

Tylenol PM

Afrin type sinus spray

Why would you pack medications that you don't know what they're used for?

Yikes, In the future try vinegar, those sores are caused by acidic foods and the alkalinity of vinegar is soothing and helps the healing start. And get him to brush his teeth regularly. Plus, I'm guessing some sort of sore throat spray was only $9 in the store.

ROFL.... Vinegar is acidic. Canker soars are caused by several things, and yes high acid foods can do it.

To the op..... It is way expensive to use the doctor on the ship. You really go down there if you HAVE to. We tough it out and take care of things at the ports. However there have been a couple of time we HAD to go to the clinic on the ship. Yeah.... glad we had insurance....:rolleyes:

BTW... ALL the cruise lines are expensive in the clinic, not just RCI.

This thread has been very helpful. I've just discovered a use for one of those many cosmetic bags I've accumulated over the years (freebies with purchases of make up). I now have a new "pharmacy bag" :D

I've been lucky enough to not have to visit the medical center on the ship for myself, although I went with a friend when she had a problem with her ear after scuba diving. Her visit, which included ear drops and pain killers came to around $140, but she got that back because it happened on a ship's excursion (scuba lessons). She had to go there on a couple other cruises as well, but travel insurance covered the cost those times.

That's a great idea. I also carry several kind of meds, but it takes up a lot of room. This is a great solution. Thanks.

Prilosec is an antacid, I believe. Stomach med.

Yes! It cures acid reflux aka heartburn

Prilosec is not really an antacid. It's a proton pump inhibitor, which acts to reduce the stomach's production of acid. I wouldn't think about Prilosec as what you would use, for a one time episode of heartburn. Antacids, like Maalox or Tums, actually neutralize the acid in the stomach, thereby giving you relief faster. The proton pump inhibitor does nothing about the acid that is already there, and already causing discomfort, but they do prevent it, which is what people with chronic reflux and excess acid need.

Archived