Any one remember the Regal Empress

Wow, just stumbled on this page and a little sad & teary that they put the old girl down. This was my & DH first cruise back in the day. We sailed on her in 1994 out of NYC on a 3 day cruise to no where. It was our first experience with cruising and we were very nervous. Now cruising has been our vacation of choice and our kids. She was so grand and beautiful. I remember being completely overwhelmed at how beautiful she was, and how large! Can't believe she is gone! :(

Really great memories on her. I have a framed picture of us on my dresser - on the deck just as the son was setting. Wait until I tell my husband....

Yes , what a shame, and there was an effort to have her retired in Greece, via a US Greek senator. Sadly, Greece decided to get an old US troop ship, one that was never under Greek use, and name her "Olympia". Can you spell "dumb".

Anyway, just spoke to captain Rolf last week, and he sounded very tired, he said a lot of family was at the house for the holidays, so hopefully that was the issue. He said "I'm getting old". He'll be 80 in March, but his mother lived to 100! He had a double hip replacement several years ago. At that time I said to him, "you're as skinny as a rail, always running around, and dancing every chance you get!"

He was known as captain "roadrunner" on the ship, and had a name plaque on his desk, "captain Roadrunner"!

What great memories of him and Regal Empress. Folks today really do not know what cruising is all about on these mega ships. Regal Empress was REAL cruising!

Edited by loubetti

Loubetti

Please convey a message to captain Rolf that I would like to get in touch wit him

The universe is requesting this before anything happens.

He knows me and my 2 children

Warren and Nadia

Give him my email

Seetasawhk@gmail.com

I no longer live in NYC

I now resides in Napa CA

Charge nurse Kaiser Emergency Department

Thank you so much

Seeta

Loubetti

Please convey a message to captain Rolf that I would like to get in touch wit him

The universe is requesting this before anything happens.

He knows me and my 2 children

Warren and Nadia

Give him my email

Seetasawhk@gmail.com

I no longer live in NYC

I now resides in Napa CA

Charge nurse Kaiser Emergency Department

Thank you so much

Seeta

Seeta,

I think we sailed together, and more than once. Were you not in suite 10 (or was it 9) on one sailing?

My memory is coming back, and, yes it is you! I remember you.

I put in a call to Rolf, and he always responds!

Hi Lou

I sailed so many times on the Regal with Captain Rolf that my brother use to ask me if I had stocks in the Regal. I felt it was a close net family feeling when on board.

And Yes I do remember you …I believe I do. Yes so we must of sail quite a few times together. Lets connect and talk.

I will try to attach a photo …don’t know if I can.

You have my email.

Smiles

Seeta

IMG_0002.jpg.969a8956e50b71dfa69cea59a9b391a2.jpg

DSC03575.jpg.8e9d95be9fd2fd3cd2b470d024d479c7.jpg

Yes, Seeta, it is you! The photos you posted tell me it.

How time flies, but the memories come back. You might recognize me from my avatar photo. At the time my wife, Maria, had big blonde hair.

If you wish, please give me a call at 201-647-7401. I no longer live in New Jersey, now I am in Boca Raton, Florida. I look forward to hearing from you.

I did call Rolf yesterday and hoping to hear back from him.

• 5 months later...

This was my favorite ship to this day. We sailed out of Port Manatee. Our cabin was huge. I just remember being able to dance on Deck with a live band. And we could walk around the ship behind glass no matter how windy. 20 cruises later, still my favorite cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

She was a great little ship, with lots of character. The wood is what I really remember. So much real wood! :-) My wife and I sailed on her in 2006. We decided we wanted to sail on her again a couple of years later, just in time to hear that she had been sold for scrap and not too long after was broken at Alang. I would have loved to sail on her one last time.

She sailed for Imperial Majesty Cruise Lines when we sailed on her, out of Ft Lauderdale, to Nassau.

• 6 months later...

I was one of the first employee's for Regal Cruise Line when the Regal Empress sailed out of Port Manatee. I worked in accounting. She was a good ship. Last I heard she scheduled to be retired in 2009 I think. 

The picture is from her time in Ft. Lauderdale.

REGALEMPRESS

Edited by holmer

• 7 months later...

My wife immigrated to the U.S. on the Olympia in 1963 from Israel.  Tourist class, her father worked as a waiter to pay for the trip.  She went thru Ellis Island lived in Brooklyn then Seattle, then L.A.  She loved the TA as an eleven year old.  We have done ten TA's and are doing one in Nov.  We saw her as the Regal Empress in Cozumel in 1998 and several times in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami later.