Venice late flight home, bag storage?

helpthejuggler

We have a cruise ending in Venice but our flight (British Airways) home is late. We hope to enjoy our last day to the full but will need to store our bags somehow.

Anyone suggestions?

can we drop the bags off in the morning at the airport and then return to the city.

Should we consider bag storage options. Where are they located?

There's no need to go out to the airport and back. There's an excellent luggage storage facility at Piazzale Roma, which is between the cruise port and the rest of Venice and is also the place where you'd get either the express bus or a land taxi to the airport when you are ready to go.

The web site for the luggage storage facility is here: http://www.trasbagagli.it/en/index.shtml?services (scroll down to the bottom of the page for Piazzale Roma luggage storage info).

We had the same situation... You absolutely cannot take your bags to the airport. They will not check them early. This airport is very strict about this. However, check with your cruiseline, they may offer a service for a fee to handle your bags. If so, pay it. It is well worth it. I don't remember why we didn't do that, I think we did not book in time.

We checked our bags for the day at the luggage check just outside of the P. mover station in P. Roma. We had noticed on our previous days in Venice that this luggage place can have very long lines. As such, we got off the ship early. were on the people mover when it opened (maybe 7:30 or 8:00, I don't remember) - and the luggage place was open with no lines. I am not suggesting there will be a long line at say 9 am, but I would not wait until 11 or noon, unless you want to wait. Also a luggage place near the train station. Not sure if lines are shorter there...

• 3 months later...

Agree with the others. Check your luggage at the Piazale Roma and enjoy your day in Venice. The take the express ATVO bus (where you can easily store your luggage underneath the bus) out to the airport.

Hank

We are staying for 2 nights pre-cruise at a bed & breakfast in Venice. We would like to drop most of our luggage for the cruise off at the luggage storage at Piazale Roma and just take one small roller bag with us to the hotel. Will the luggage storage at Piazale Roma allow you to check bags for 2 full days or is it limited to 24 hours? How safe is the storage facility?

Thanks

I also have a late flight from Venice. I found the same link to the baggage on a different thread. It states on there you can leave at the airport for a small charge.

I was going to use the cruise transfer to the airport, then store my luggage, then head back to the city for the remains of the day. This way I won't have to panic about getting my suitcase to the airport as it will already be there! I can just collect it then go for the flight as normal.

Hi VenusLady

I'll be on the same cruise as you. I think you will be wasting time and money by taking the ship transfer to the airport to check your luggage and then returning to Venice for the day. It's not that quick to travel between the airport and the city, and it also can be expensive depending on the transportation you take. I would be better to cancel your ship transfer, check your baggage at Piazzale Roma, and then after touring Venice get transportation to the airport. Try going on the Roll Call for our cruise and find out what other people are doing. Best of luck...

We are staying for 2 nights pre-cruise at a bed & breakfast in Venice. We would like to drop most of our luggage for the cruise off at the luggage storage at Piazale Roma and just take one small roller bag with us to the hotel. Will the luggage storage at Piazale Roma allow you to check bags for 2 full days or is it limited to 24 hours? How safe is the storage facility?

Thanks

Yes, you can store for multiple days. The charge is for a 24 hr block of time. We used them for 2 nights ... not a problem. We also used their airport facility on our last trip.

Regardless of which location you use, don't wait until the last minute to collect your bags. There might be a long line, or in our case at the airport the employee had just left for his break so we had to wait 15 minutes until he returned. So if you're catching the 2:20pm ATVO bus to the airport don't show up at 2:10pm thinking your luggage will be immediately handed to you.

Perhaps a little geography would help here. If you are staying in Venice for the day it only costs about a Euro and less then 10 min to get over there on the People Mover. You check your luggage, go off and have fun...return later and pick up your luggage and take the bus (we recommend the ATVO) to the airport with your luggage. On the other hand, you can go from the port to the airport for about 45 Euros, spend about 30 - 40 just getting there and then check your luggage. Then you have a 30 - 45 min trip back to the Piazale Roma (the cost would vary depending on how you go back) so you have already spent nearly 1 1/2 hours of your day (plus a lot of Euros) to get where you would have been in a few minutes for not much more then a Euro. Not sure this makes much sense.

Hank

A silly question - how difficult is it to maneuver luggage from the ship to the storage place? Also, how easy is to to get around with luggage from a water taxi to a hotel?

My goodness...that is actually a darn good question (spoken by one who has oft wrestled with his luggage). So let us start with a basic rule about Venice. It is never easy to get around with luggage in Venice! In the case of a water taxi to your hotel the biggest challenge might be getting to the water taxi at the airport (its quite a walk). Of course you can usually hire a man to handle your luggage...but they will not work cheap. As to the hotel end of your trip that should be no problem as long as your hotel has it's own dock (most do). You certainly do not want a water taxi to drop you a few blocks (and perhaps many bridges) from your hotel.

From the ship to the storage space in the Piazale Roma is not a problem as long as your luggage is on wheels. It can be a bit of a walk to get to the People Mover station at the port...but it's all flat and perfect for rolling luggage. There are elevators at the People Mover stations (both ends) which makes handling luggage easy. The irony is that there is a sign at the People Mover Stations telling passengers not to bring bulky items such as luggage (nobody pays attention to this). Getting on and off the People Mover with luggage is very easy since everything is flat and there is plenty of room in the People Mover cars.

Hank

We will arriving in Venice after a cruise and will plan to store our luggage in the storage area in Piazale Roma. My question is how far is the train station from the the Piazale Roma?

We will arriving in Venice after a cruise and will plan to store our luggage in the storage area in Piazale Roma. My question is how far is the train station from the the Piazale Roma?

It is a short trip across the bridge over the Grand Canal, or one stop across the canal on the vaporetto.

We will be staying in Venice for a few days post-cruise, but will obviously be arriving in port early in the morning. P. Roma sounds like a good option for storing luggage, but have you had any luck storing the luggage at the hotel you will be checking into later in the day? Which option do you think is the safest bet?

Thanks,

Chris

We will be staying in Venice for a few days post-cruise, but will obviously be arriving in port early in the morning. P. Roma sounds like a good option for storing luggage, but have you had any luck storing the luggage at the hotel you will be checking into later in the day? Which option do you think is the safest bet?

Thanks,

Chris

Most hotels will be happy to store your luggage early on the day you are checking in. I would think it would be easier to do it this way rather than checking it in to the luggage storage on P. Roma and then moving it to the hotel later. Also the luggage storage at P Roma charges 5E per bag. Your hotel is not likely to do that.

Archived