Which cruisetour would you recommend?

allisons

Which cruisetour would you recommend?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruisetour would you recommend?

• Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage
    • Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks
    • Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali, Fairbanks

Yep! That's what we're doing. Booked Princess Denali lodge on our own, using Toursaver coupon;), booked rail from Anchorage to Denali on our own thru Gray Line (I think, its the same lovely domed cars) using coupon, booked independent tours, such as Eilesen shuttle bus into Denali, Alaska RR from Anchorage to Whittier, etc. We've saved ALOT of money booking on our own, and having a bit more independence as well. Can.not.wait.

Thank you! This is very helpful! I can shadow what you're doing! I cannot wait either! Where/how do I book the Princess Denlai Lodge on our own? Will they allow us to since we are not cruising with Princess? What is a Toursaver coupon? Where do I get it?

Thank you! This is very helpful! I can shadow what you're doing! I cannot wait either! Where/how do I book the Princess Denlai Lodge on our own? Will they allow us to since we are not cruising with Princess? What is a Toursaver coupon? Where do I get it?

surprisingly ....

www.princesslodges.com

http://www.toursaver.com/

you've already decided on the Princess Lodge this early in your research?

Just like any other hotel, do it online or call. Any of the Princess lodges. You do not have to be on a Princess cruise or cruisetour, anyone can stay there. http://www.princesslodges.com/

We had a buy one night, get one free coupon, and are staying at Denali Wilderness Lodge for 2 nights. There are also lots of other lodging options in Alaska & the areas you want to go, as many of the experienced folks on here will tell you about. Also, "google" Toursaver coupon book alaska. You can see all the coupons available. The book costs money, but was nothing compared to what we've saved.

I'm sure others will chime in as well... and am doubly sure that they are way more experienced than I. I have learned alot here on CC, and through others' experiences. Keep researching & reading. :D

I am piping in about the rental car idea. It is much quicker to drive the Denali (renting your car in Anchorage) than going on the train. You also have the independence of staying at one of the nice B&B's in Healy. We have only stayed at the Denali Lakeview Inn but we loved it and especially the location being right on Otto Lake. It is only 6 - 8 miles from Glitter Gulch where the Princess Lodge is. http://www.denalilakeviewinn.com

Our first time to Alaska in June, 2001, I felt like you did and we took the train from Anchorage to Denali. It took all day. We did not enjoy staying at the Princess Lodge. There was an older section and they put us downstairs and we heard ALOT of noise. After they moved us, it was better. The walls were very thin. We were very confined to walking around the immediate area with no car. We took a pre-arranged bus to Talkeetna and then on to Seward.

The other 3 trips after that one we have always rented a car. It is much cheaper to rent one in Anchorage. We have always needed a mini-van. This last fall I found one from Alamo Car Rental for 1/3 of what I have paid before so I snapped it up quick and I have even called since to verify. All the other car rental places wanted 1300 - 1500.00 for the time period I wanted.

It is much cheaper to rent the car in Anchorage round trip then returning it in Seward. We have done that also.

To get the train ride in you could take it from Anchorage to Seward or Whittier to catch your ship. Those are beautiful trips on the train.

Think also if you rent a car in Anchorage you can stop in Talkeetna for a couple hours on your way back from Denali. Nice place to stop and have lunch and if it is a clear day, it is a very scenic spot to see Mt. McKinley from the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge and from a few turnouts also. We have gotten to see Mt. McKinley 3 out of 4 times we have been there. So we have been very fortunate.

You will have lots of fun planning this trip. I have found the planning and expectation is as much fun or more than the actual trip.

This time we are doing 8 nights pre-cruise on our own just around the Kenai Peninsula and doing a couple independent boat tours (26 Glaciers tour out of Whittier and Kenai Fjords tour with Major Marine out of Seward).

Besides the tour saver book that a previous poster mentioned you can get the Northern Lights coupon book at http://www.alaska-discounts.com. It is a little more reasonable than the tour-saver book. Spend time researching the books online and see which one suits your needs and excursions and then purchase it when it comes out in the fall. You can get a general idea from looking at what is offered in this year's books.

I don't remember reading how much time you are taking for your trip.

surprisingly ....

www.princesslodges.com

http://www.toursaver.com/

you've already decided on the Princess Lodge this early in your research?

Thank you! I haven't decided on anything yet! I'm gathering any and all information that I can! I don't have the time or desire to invest a ton of effort into this, so I'm looking for any concrete suggestions that I can get!

Just like any other hotel, do it online or call. Any of the Princess lodges. You do not have to be on a Princess cruise or cruisetour, anyone can stay there. http://www.princesslodges.com/

We had a buy one night, get one free coupon, and are staying at Denali Wilderness Lodge for 2 nights. There are also lots of other lodging options in Alaska & the areas you want to go, as many of the experienced folks on here will tell you about. Also, "google" Toursaver coupon book alaska. You can see all the coupons available. The book costs money, but was nothing compared to what we've saved.

I'm sure others will chime in as well... and am doubly sure that they are way more experienced than I. I have learned alot here on CC, and through others' experiences. Keep researching & reading. :D

Thank you! That is very helpful! I will definitely buy the Toursaver book! Great tip!

I am piping in about the rental car idea. It is much quicker to drive the Denali (renting your car in Anchorage) than going on the train. You also have the independence of staying at one of the nice B&B's in Healy. We have only stayed at the Denali Lakeview Inn but we loved it and especially the location being right on Otto Lake. It is only 6 - 8 miles from Glitter Gulch where the Princess Lodge is. http://www.denalilakeviewinn.com

Our first time to Alaska in June, 2001, I felt like you did and we took the train from Anchorage to Denali. It took all day. We did not enjoy staying at the Princess Lodge. There was an older section and they put us downstairs and we heard ALOT of noise. After they moved us, it was better. The walls were very thin. We were very confined to walking around the immediate area with no car. We took a pre-arranged bus to Talkeetna and then on to Seward.

The other 3 trips after that one we have always rented a car. It is much cheaper to rent one in Anchorage. We have always needed a mini-van. This last fall I found one from Alamo Car Rental for 1/3 of what I have paid before so I snapped it up quick and I have even called since to verify. All the other car rental places wanted 1300 - 1500.00 for the time period I wanted.

It is much cheaper to rent the car in Anchorage round trip then returning it in Seward. We have done that also.

To get the train ride in you could take it from Anchorage to Seward or Whittier to catch your ship. Those are beautiful trips on the train.

Think also if you rent a car in Anchorage you can stop in Talkeetna for a couple hours on your way back from Denali. Nice place to stop and have lunch and if it is a clear day, it is a very scenic spot to see Mt. McKinley from the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge and from a few turnouts also. We have gotten to see Mt. McKinley 3 out of 4 times we have been there. So we have been very fortunate.

You will have lots of fun planning this trip. I have found the planning and expectation is as much fun or more than the actual trip.

This time we are doing 8 nights pre-cruise on our own just around the Kenai Peninsula and doing a couple independent boat tours (26 Glaciers tour out of Whittier and Kenai Fjords tour with Major Marine out of Seward).

Besides the tour saver book that a previous poster mentioned you can get the Northern Lights coupon book at http://www.alaska-discounts.com. It is a little more reasonable than the tour-saver book. Spend time researching the books online and see which one suits your needs and excursions and then purchase it when it comes out in the fall. You can get a general idea from looking at what is offered in this year's books.

I don't remember reading how much time you are taking for your trip.

Wow! Thank you so much! What a thorough and helpful response! I really appreciate it! I will buy the Northern Lights coupon book also! I will check out Denali Lakeview Inn! We are looking at 3 nights post-cruise. We might possibly be able to do 4 nights post-cruise.

So sorry, I just noticed that you are taking the Radiance of the Seas Northbound ending in Seward. Being you will disembark in the morning, have you considered taking one of the Kenai Fjords tours. They are really great either with http://www.kenaifjordstours.com or http://www.majormarine.com

After your boat tour of the Kenai Fjords you could take the 6:00 pm train to Anchorage which is very scenic and you get your train ride, spend the night in Anchorage and then rent a car and drive to Denali depending on how many days you are taking for your trip.

We took the northbound trip on the Radiance in 2009 and really enjoyed it. Hope you thought about the location of your cabin. On the northbound sailing it is nice to have a cabin on the starboard side if you are having a window or balcony room then you are on the "land" side of the ship. There was so much beautiful scenery just to be seen out of our window especially after sailing out of Hubbard glacier. If you are on the port side you will just see open ocean.

Also, be sure and be up on deck or at least looking out of your window/balcony when sailing out of Skagway. The waterway is so beautiful when sailing away.

Just another thought........

So sorry, I just noticed that you are taking the Radiance of the Seas Northbound ending in Seward. Being you will disembark in the morning, have you considered taking one of the Kenai Fjords tours. They are really great either with http://www.kenaifjordstours.com or http://www.majormarine.com

After your boat tour of the Kenai Fjords you could take the 6:00 pm train to Anchorage which is very scenic and you get your train ride, spend the night in Anchorage and then rent a car and drive to Denali depending on how many days you are taking for your trip.

We took the northbound trip on the Radiance in 2009 and really enjoyed it. Hope you thought about the location of your cabin. On the northbound sailing it is nice to have a cabin on the starboard side if you are having a window or balcony room then you are on the "land" side of the ship. There was so much beautiful scenery just to be seen out of our window especially after sailing out of Hubbard glacier. If you are on the port side you will just see open ocean.

Also, be sure and be up on deck or at least looking out of your window/balcony when sailing out of Skagway. The waterway is so beautiful when sailing away.

Just another thought........

Hmm . . . I was worried about this! We have 9256. For the obvious reasons. I hoped that we'd be able to see across to the starboard side as well. Perhaps not. Should we change cabins? Should we give up that fabulous balcony? What do you think?

Being it is an aft corner balcony, I would think you would be able to see very well out the back and be able to look towards the starboard side. I had that exact room only one time on the Serenade of the Seas. Other than that I do not have any experience with aft balconies or corner aft balconies. You can't see down the port side as much as I thought I would be able to from that little edge of the balcony. I didn't have a specific reason to look starboard on that cruise (it was a southern Caribbean cruise) so didn't take note of it. I got that room because it was popular and it popped up for sale so I grabbed it. I enjoyed it but not as much as I expected.

Those aft corner balconies are so coveted I would not trade it in. You will enjoy it, I'm sure.

Maybe someone else who has more experience with it will chime in on here. For now I would definitely keep that coveted room.

Being it is an aft corner balcony, I would think you would be able to see very well out the back and be able to look towards the starboard side. I had that exact room only one time on the Serenade of the Seas. Other than that I do not have any experience with aft balconies or corner aft balconies. You can't see down the port side as much as I thought I would be able to from that little edge of the balcony. I didn't have a specific reason to look starboard on that cruise (it was a southern Caribbean cruise) so didn't take note of it. I got that room because it was popular and it popped up for sale so I grabbed it. I enjoyed it but not as much as I expected.

Those aft corner balconies are so coveted I would not trade it in. You will enjoy it, I'm sure.

Maybe someone else who has more experience with it will chime in on here. For now I would definitely keep that coveted room.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking. That we'd be able to see both port and starboard from that balcony. Why didn't you enjoy it as much as you expected?!

So sorry I can't remember. It has been a number of years ago. Didn't see the big deal of the aft balcony that people made of it I think. Also thought I could see down the port side better. It is a really nice size room though also.

I would still keep it if I were you though. It is such a coveted room.

So sorry I can't remember. It has been a number of years ago. Didn't see the big deal of the aft balcony that people made of it I think. Also thought I could see down the port side better. It is a really nice size room though also.

I would still keep it if I were you though. It is such a coveted room.

Absolutely!

Just read your signature. You really have cruised the Caribbean a lot. Are you from Florida?

Which area do you like best?

No. We're from Maryland. We like the Southern the best. Followed by the Western. The Eastern is our least favorite.

Archived