Chancanaab vs Money Bar Snorkeling

Jerseygirlinohio

Chank is a marine park - beach, snorkeling, dolphin experieince, etc. with an admisison fee. :( Good snorkeling from shore - you may need water shoes in some areas. Taxi there was not expensive, but I forget the total. Food and drinks were okay.

At the Money Bar you enter the water via steps, great snorkeling, but the water is usually slightly deeper than what you'll find at Chank and you may need to deal with currents, depending upon the tide. No beach, but they do have a sandy area for sunning and relaxing. Taxi there was only $9. Food and drinks were good.

A bunch of teens and adults - I would head to the Money Bar. Smaller kids in the group, I would head to Chank.

Good luck! :)

Good luck!

I have snorkeled at both places. If you are a good swimmer I recommend Money Bar. It sits on Dzul Ha reef and I have seen fish, eels, baby sharks, huge crabs, etc at the Money Bar and it's free to snorkel there as long as you buy a drink/food. Chankannab has an entrance fee and is a bit more "commercial" The snorkeling is good and they have several sunken statues that are beautiful to see. They also have the optional dolphin swim. There is a restaurant onsite as well. I recommend Money Bar having done both for more diverse, beautiful fish. There is a current here so it helps to be a good swimmer. You can rent snorkel gear/vests at both places if you don't have your own equipment.

Chankanaab charges an entrance fee but offers a real beach and one of the best shore snorkeling...it is a park rather than just a restaurant. Money bar is free, however snorkeling is not as good as at the park and there is no beach, great food however (a little bit pricey).

Archived