Port or Starboard cabin on Dream?

gmros

I read on a previous post that one passenger stated the starboard side was the better of the two. They said it was a great view of Nassau and Castaway Cay and that you could see the entire beach area if you were on the starboard side. I will on the ship in May and have a room on that side of the ship so I guess I will find out.

Not necessarily. As for Nassau, the ship always backs into the pier, so the port side faces town or possibly the side of another ship, depending on who docks at the pier that is closest to shore. The starboard side faces the ocean and a narrow spit of land, although there is a good view of Atlantis. Again, if another ship is docked on that side, your view is mostly the side of that ship.

At Castaway Cay, the ship USUALLY backs in, so the starboard side faces the beaches. However, the ships occasionally dock bow first, so the port side is overlooking the beaches. They usually only do that when they need to do some maintenance work - cleaning, painting, etc. - on the starboard side, which is up against the pier in this case.

yes, both times we were in nassau, we faced other ships.

one time our room was on the starboard side, the other time we were on the port side.

in CC, i think we backed in both times, so when we were on the port side we faced the pier.

But i have to say i enjoyed that view as i watched the captain joystick his way in. He was standing out on this overhang thing (this was on the wonder) and toggling a little joystick as he backed us in.

i found that very interesting (ok so i'm a nerd)

and i enjoyed watching the entire docking process (ropes etc).

yes, i already admitted to being a nerd.

So really, both sides can be nice.

on our upcoming cruise, i've taken a starboard room so that we'll have a view of the beaches on CC, but if we end up going forward into CC, i'll enjoy that as well. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A vote for starboard side here.

We've been on 17 DCL cruises (18th coming up next month) and each time we've backed into Castaway Cay. While possible and it does happen, I think the likelihood of going in straightforward is remote for any cruise.

In Nassau, another ship may be alongside starboard but that's interesting in itself to see. You can still see some of the harbor to your right as well. Again, in our experience, another ship alongside the harbor has often left first leaving the beautiful view.

RIPPLES: Will you be on the same cruise in May? We're May 13.

Archived