DIY Stockholm -- Stockholm Card & Transit Cards

We are planning DIY days in Stockholm in late June -- our ship will be there for about 30 hours -- 9:00 am Tuesday to 2:00 pm Wednesday. Our must-dos are the Vasa Museum, Skansen, City Hall and Nobel Museum. We are investigating both the Stockholm Card and the 1- and 3-day transit cards for Stockholm. Any opinions as to which approach would be most economical? easiest? most flexible? I had read somewhere that the 3-day transit card included admission to Skansen but can no longer find that information anywhere (at least not in English!)

Previous cruisers' experiences would be very helpful to hear about. We want to make the most of each day but also like to stop and smell the roses as we tour. We are seniors so that may make some difference in costs -- I know it does for the transit cards.

Thanks in advance.

Linda in Portland, OR

Do you know where in Stockholm your ship is docking? That might make an impact on your decision. To determine the true value of the Stockholm Card to you, one really must just add up the total admissions it gives you at all the sites you wish to visit and then see if it makes financial sense to buy the card. It looks like it currently gives free admission to 80 sites. Add up the ones you'll visit. The other main advantage of the Stockholm Card is that they can mail it to you in advance of your trip. This way you have it when you get off the ship and can immediately use it for city bus transit. This is very helpful if you're docked in Frihamnen for example. You won't need to get local currency to get on the bus -- you can do that later from an ATM. So it's part convenience and part discount value. I'm not familiar with the transit pass to do a compare for you. But according to the SL website, it's clearly less expensive, but I can't see that it admits you to any venues.

Archived