Early Disembarkation in San Francisco

CCPirate

I was told by Princess that I could carry my own luggage and disembark early due to an 11:45 flight. I did this on RCL in Barcelona without any problems. After reading San Francisco disembarkation horror stories, I'm worried. Has anyone had experience with this? How worried do I need to be?

I was told by Princess that I could carry my own luggage and disembark early due to an 11:45 flight. I did this on RCL in Barcelona without any problems. After reading San Francisco disembarkation horror stories, I'm worried. Has anyone had experience with this? How worried do I need to be?

Our flight is at 12:20, on a Sunday, so interested in responses too.

I would be worried as we've read SF is one of the worst. Tight quarters, and slow Customs - Immigration. It is very crowded with limited space and once you get your luggage you are fighting in coming passengers and the general tourist trade along the embarcadero and fisherman's wharf

Assuming you need to be at SFO 90 minutes ahead of time that would mean you'd have to be at the airport by 10AM. If i was a betting man, I would say this is a no win situation.

The stress alone wouldnt be worth it after having a nice relaxing cruise - why put yourself through all that?

I've had it both ways, several times no problems and others long lines. Generally I think you'll be OK. It is about 30 minutes + ride down to the airport so make sure you have your transportation arranged.

Even with the total mess at disembarkation when the Star was in SF on March 19, those who did the self-disembarkation carrying their luggage were the first groups called and thus the first off of the ship.

There were four of these self-disembarkation groups. Obviously the first of the four had the least waiting to do as customs had their dogs do the sniffing. The last three of these were caught in the mess, but still off the ship before the regular disembarkation groups.

For the Star cruise that ended 3/19, the first walkoff group was scheduled for 8:30 and was called about 9 AM. Immigration processing for that group started at 7 AM. (Ship was docked before 6 AM.)

If you're on one of the Alaska sailings I think you have much less chance of a customs delay than the cruises coming from Mexico/South America. I've ended a cruise in SF at least a half dozen times and have always been off the ship by 9:30am at the latest, and much earlier with walkoff. Princess recommends no earlier than 12:15 but with a walkoff I think it should be OK, but I would be less stressed with a little bit later also.

I remember a few years ago on a coastal ending in San Francisco it was awful. Immigration in their infinite wisdom decided that ALL passengers were to assemble at 7am. Can you imagine. Over 3000 in line to clear immigration . They came on board and there were only 4 officers. It was crazy. I hope it has improved since then it was a really stressful ending to a wonderful cruise.

Melinda

Listen to people like DougH and not a lot of the others. Generally there is just one ship in port and debark is totally over by 10:00am. Walk-off's start usually at 8:15-8:30 so plenty of time for your flight. I would suggest a taxi as the buses, although they are boarding, have to wait for a full load before being dispatched to the airport. But, if you are doing "self help" you would not have bought a transfer anyway.

As Victoria BC is the last stop before San Francisco on the Alaska season, you will need to clear CBP onboard. NORMALLY this is the simple task of going to a predetermined place on the ship and showing passport (or other ID) and then the ship is cleared. The recent fiasco was caused by two ships with turns and one of them having come from several months out of the US and from South America. This meant that CBP was doing a more extended clearance. Last month the Queen Elizabeth took a long time as well, as they had a tip and then found someone with about 1 million dollars worth of drugs.

The Embarkadero is almost empty at this time of the morning as the tourists do not usually show up until later in the day. Traffic is not bad either as rush hour is over. There will also be lots of taxis on a one ship day.

There are a lot of San Francisco haters out there who find fault with everything.

Listen to people like DougH and not a lot of the others. Generally there is just one ship in port and debark is totally over by 10:00am. Walk-off's start usually at 8:15-8:30 so plenty of time for your flight. I would suggest a taxi as the buses, although they are boarding, have to wait for a full load before being dispatched to the airport. But, if you are doing "self help" you would not have bought a transfer anyway.

As Victoria BC is the last stop before San Francisco on the Alaska season, you will need to clear CBP onboard. NORMALLY this is the simple task of going to a predetermined place on the ship and showing passport (or other ID) and then the ship is cleared. The recent fiasco was caused by two ships with turns and one of them having come from several months out of the US and from South America. This meant that CBP was doing a more extended clearance. Last month the Queen Elizabeth took a long time as well, as they had a tip and then found someone with about 1 million dollars worth of drugs.

The Embarkadero is almost empty at this time of the morning as the tourists do not usually show up until later in the day. Traffic is not bad either as rush hour is over. There will also be lots of taxis on a one ship day.

There are a lot of San Francisco haters out there who find fault with everything.

Ed, what about Super Shuttle? Will they be there?

Thanks for the help. This is an Alaskan cruise with the last port of Skagway so hopefully not so many customs problems. This is my first west coast cruise but I've cruised in and out of Florida many times and usually there is no problem finding a taxi. Do you think I should arrange transportation or are taxis plentiful?

Well, I've lived here most of my life and still find the scene outside the pier can be a zoo. (Lat time, our friend was stuck in a traffic jam for 30-plus minutes trying to pick us up.) The area simply wasn't designed to process 3000+ passenger cruise ships. That being said, I would rather go through hassles and then find myself back in The City than breeze through disembarkation and end up in Fort Lauderdale or Galveston.

But that's just me.

Archived