The Good Ole Days

Catrin

I was inspired by a photo I just saw that mentioned the Funnel Deck on the Carnival Ships....

Thinking of things that have gone away over the years, and thinking it would be fun to reminisce....

So..

to start

Funnel Deck - Tops Optional

Four Piece Caribbean Band

Midnight Buffet - Every NIGHT!!

Men's Lingerie Contest - what a HOOT!

Pillow Fight Contest

Beer Drinking Contest

The little tool that wipes the crumbs from the table between courses.

Bread Baskets on the Table

What else??

:)

Catrin

Why would they get rid of that? Or why did they?

Only contest I would have a chance in.

That was in 1992 on our Honeymoon.

I believe they got rid of those contests to create more of a family image instead of a party one!!

I am sure there are a few unauthorized contests each cruise however!!

Catrin

My first cruise on Carnival

Sommelier in Dining room, complete with the tasting "cup" on a chain around his neck

Smoking all over the ship

Waiter gave you a "picture" of the ship (color print)

Got a ship pin for the cruise

FIVE piece Steel Band ...they were great :)

LOTS more dancers it seemed, and big orchestra

Carnival used to offer Beef Wellington

Fun Times was the "Capers" (I like that name better, easier to "google")

!!!!!!!!

My first cruises : (other lines, some now out of biz)

Bon Voyage : friends could drive up to the Port/s (Miami) and help you carry on your luggage, bring on booze, go to your cabin, have a drink with you, wak around the ship and then TOOOT "all ashore who's going ashore"

Very little security ....and yes, bring on the booze

Bon Voyage Party on deck - big to do, whistles, streamers

Skeet shooting on the deck

Baked Alaska waiter's parade with candles on the cake, some balancing on their head

Big fuss about the "Horse Races" (went on thru the cruise)

NO dinner buffet at all..fixed seating period

Smaller ship meant you saw the same people over and over, more of a sense of "US"....YAYYYYY :"WE" are the Cruisers on the Emerald Sky YAY!!

Every cruise seemed to have it's own "characters" that you saw over and over, the "stars" of the cruise. They were the ones in the talent show, marriage show, horse race "leader", and so on LOL

"Smoking or Non Smoking" in Dining room (Admiral, Dolphin etc)

NO stabilizers : which meant that the first night everyone was rocking and rolling as the ship would race to the islands...then they went only a short distance ...Nassau to "Private Island" to Freeport....so not bad..then back across the Atlantic and rock and roll

Princess :

Head waiter made Caesar salad tableside, complete with anchovies

Head waiter made a different pasta tableside (over a flame) every night

Head waiter made bananas foster one night and cherries jubilee "flambe"

VERY Dressy....my ex wore a black tux first formal night , then a white dinner jacket 2nd night...I wore gown first night and sequin "Dallas" type dress with big shoulders 2nd night....eek

(wonder we did not all burn up LOL)

St Croix was a port to visit...they built a new pier, had steel bands, peeps on stilts...but bad incidents (stabbing on beach) and anti-American politics made most cruiselines drop St Croix

The bad part : harder to find your luggage after the cruise !!

Port of Miami is sooo much nicer NOW...it used to be like a huge warehouse/s

and they would dump all the luggage together

1. Adequate staffing of the MDR.

Other cruise lines still offer the crumb-wiper and bread baskets too!

Im fairly certain they used the "crumb sweeper" on my last cruise on Destiny January 2011. I was embarrassed that I had accumulated so many crumbs... and likely blamed it on my BF. ;)

No such thing as Your Time Dining - you ate breakfast, lunch and dinner at your assigned table in the dining room.

Just an FYI - in January on the Liberty with YTD, they brought the bread basket to the table and left it every night.

You used dabbers at Bingo and played several games at the sessions.

Sommelier in Dining room, complete with the tasting "cup" on a chain around his neck

!!!!!!!!

Bon Voyage : friends could drive up to the Port/s (Miami) and help you carry on your luggage, bring on booze, go to your cabin, have a drink with you, wak around the ship and then TOOOT "all ashore who's going ashore"

Baked Alaska waiter's parade with candles on the cake, some balancing on their head

Smaller ship meant you saw the same people over and over, more of a sense of "US"....YAYYYYY :"WE" are the Cruisers on the Emerald Sky YAY!!

Every cruise seemed to have it's own "characters" that you saw over and over, the "stars" of the cruise. They were the ones in the talent show, marriage show, horse race "leader", and so on LOL

NO stabilizers : which meant that the first night everyone was rocking and rolling as the ship would race to the islands...then they went only a short distance ...Nassau to "Private Island" to Freeport....so not bad..then back across the Atlantic and rock and roll

Princess :

VERY Dressy....my ex wore a black tux first formal night , then a white dinner jacket 2nd night...I wore gown first night and sequin "Dallas" type dress with big shoulders 2nd night....eek

St Croix was a port to visit...they built a new pier, had steel bands, peeps on stilts...but bad incidents (stabbing on beach) and anti-American politics made most cruiselines drop St Croix

I wished we cruised at this time it sounded awesome

Thought of a few more!!

FLAMING Cherries Jubilee and Baked Alaska... along with a Parade to boot!

Getting "FREE" birthday and anniversary cakes throughout the cruise.... hearing Happy Birtdsday to youz on each cruise over and over again.

Coquille St. Jaques... our favorite dish of pasta, potatoes, scallops omg heaven.

Welcome Aboard Party with free rum drinks!

Captains Welcome Party with Free Drinks

Thought of a few more!!

Getting "FREE" birthday and anniversary cakes throughout the cruise.... hearing Happy Birtdsday to youz on each cruise over and over again.

Coquille St. Jaques... our favorite dish of pasta, potatoes, scallops omg heaven.

LOL my first cruise we had a birthday .It was great

I miss the "old" style of cruising....much more glamorous and elegant. The Grand "Midnight Buffet", everyone dressed up every night, and formal night meant black tie. no dirty dishes/glasses lining the hallway...or vacuums and linen carts for that matter, no chair hogs, well behaved children (and parents).

Cruising was just that....cruising. Now it's a floating theme park. Thank goodness for the new serenity area.

Thought of a few more!!

Will always remember the "Hoppy Burstday" and "Hoppy Onnibersary" in the MDR.

Much better for singles/solos

many ships had "solo" cabins (small)

most cruiselines...Princess, Carnival included offered "single shares"...

based on sex (same sex LOL) and "smoking or non smoking"...

you could ask for a double share, triple share or if really cheap and ready to party...a quad

Many had "dancing" gentlemen to dance with single women

They also had more "last minute" cruises for locals...you could go to a travel agent and ask what was "available' and...cheap

I booked my first cruise and sailed 3 days later, no checking this line and that line or comparing LOL>> price is right, let's go

Before internet, cruiselines had big thick glossy catalogs about their cruises

Cruiselines with more than one or two ships had a brochure for each ship

Travel agents had videos of all the ships....they would "lend" them to you to take home to watch...your choice of "format">> yeah they had Betamax and/or VHS. Or you could go in a little room at the travel agent office and watch on their tv

If you booked ahead, you got a really nice document folder in the mail, complete with nice luggage tags....if you booked last minute you got all sorts of paperwork in the agents office LOL

The "gambling ferries" did everything and anything to get people on board...if we had nothing better to do on a weekend we would jump on and rock and rock

At one point Discovery was giving "free cruise" certs when you ate at certain restaurants...you just paid "port fees" to go to Freeport...$14 then later $20

!!!!!!!!

Princess :

You've hit a HOME RUN, Esty . . . . just exactly as I remember most of it. What days those were. What incredible memories. Thank you. :)

Archived