Taking food off for lunch?

debrycruise

This thread reminds me of something I read either on John Heald's blog or his Facebook page last year during the European season. They were docked somewhere for a couple of days. On the second day, he was asked to make an announcement stating that people should not be preparing "doggy bags" on the Lido as numerous people were seen loading food into ziplock bags for the day, and ignoring the wait staff asking them to not do that.

Whether the local port stop permits it or not, the staff would prefer to feed the people eating in the Lido, not seeing people pack bags for off shore.

Because it wasn't his job to enforce the law, that's the job of a local customs agent. He was trying to give you some advice.

Better advice would have been to suggest don't eat it within sight of the customs agents who were 30ft away, but they didn't say anything to us except "hope you enjoyed your visit"

Wimpinthewater35, I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you suggesting that bringing food off the ship is okay if you can get away with it? Or that a better piece of advice would include how to conceal this food? Just wondering what point you're trying to make. :confused:

Wimpinthewater35, I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you suggesting that bringing food off the ship is okay if you can get away with it? Or that a better piece of advice would include how to conceal this food? Just wondering what point you're trying to make. :confused:

My point is yes the cruiseline will tell you not to bring food off the ship but the "law" isn't very well enforced in all places. Just like bringing alcohol onboard ships that ban passengers from doing so it still happens because the enforcement isn't there at all times.

IMO its ok concealed or not as long as you throw away the trash properly.

My point is yes the cruiseline will tell you not to bring food off the ship but the "law" isn't very well enforced in all places. Just like bringing alcohol onboard ships that ban passengers from doing so it still happens because the enforcement isn't there at all times.

So it is okay to bring ashore fruit that could have pests that might destroy the local agriculture as long as you don't litter?

You're not getting the point. it's not the trash that's a problem. It's the microscopic larvae, spores and molds that is the probem. Throwing away your half eaten apple or banana peel.. or even your baggie that held your sandwich is still a problem. Those organisms can destroy crops in a foreign country...

How selfish can you be to think it's OK to break these law, as long as you can get away with it.

Prepackaged food is fine, but do not bring anything else ashore. There is a video series on YouTube about Australian customs and they are very serious! It probably would be acceptable to bring food ashore if Boston is your first port of call, since the food on board would be from the United States and would not pose as an agricultural risk.

So it is okay to bring ashore fruit that could have pests that might destroy the local agriculture as long as you don't litter?

I don't really think the concept is so confusing. I think those who know how to read these posts understand.

Only being caught and fined/jailed will get the message across??? :(

Pretend your family are farmers and your banana from the ship caused an infestation to your family's citrus grove and they had to destroy all the trees. Does that get the point across? This is not a hypothetical situation. Careless disregard for agriculture laws have devasted some crops/regions.

Don't do it.

Buy lunch ashore or wait to eat when you return to the ship.

Most of us can miss a meal and if medical needs require you eat, stop in a grocery market, fruit stand, a convenience store, a bakery, a deli, a restaurant.......

Think of someone beside own selfish interest,

Please.

Hopefully the next time they do it they will receive a big fine.

Can't answer for the east coast.. but here in California we have agricultural stops for vehicles entering the state. No fruits or vegetables.:mad:

(So I am presuming the same is true for trying to bring fruit off a ship in San Francisco, San Diego or Los Angeles (San Pedro).

Fruit born pests can ruin a large part of our huge agricultural industry.

You worry about a little trash when the real problem is the potential damage to billions of dollars in agriculture? Wow. just freaking wow.

This story about food and customs regulations was in many major metro newspapers this weekend. I am always amazed by how many people think the rules do not apply to themselves.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/story/2012-03-27/Meet-Izzy-the-beagle-defender-of-US-agriculture/53808948/1

Thanks for posting this article. Certain posters should be required to read it twice.

Especially do not bring food off the ship in Jamaica. Pest introduction to the island's marijuana industry could be devastating:D. In all seriousness, when we went to Cozumel years ago, we were told that pre-packaged foods such as pasteurized juices and cereals were OK to take off the ship, but I have a feeling that these laws have been expanded to include "any and all" food products.

This story about food and customs regulations was in many major metro newspapers this weekend. I am always amazed by how many people think the rules do not apply to themselves.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/story/2012-03-27/Meet-Izzy-the-beagle-defender-of-US-agriculture/53808948/1

Unfortunately, MANY MANY people think the rules don't apply to them.

Do you not understand why the rules are in place???? It has nothing to do with trash. It has to do with keeping foreign insects out of the agriculture! Here in California, we have a huge ag industry. Our state has check points at every entry on our state borders. They stop every car and check for food brought in from other states and they'll confiscate fruit, veggies, flowers and plants. They do it to protect our crops. For example, we've been fighting hard to keep the meditarranean fruit fly out because it has the potential to destroy crops.

and packaged food is not always ok. Have you never found weevils in your flour or cereal? or fungus on your bread? packaged food still has the potential to do damage and although you may not be able to see it doesn't mean it's not there.

I'm positive it is illegal to bring food off the ships into California. Just because you can manage to get away with it doesn't make it ok. Trash is the least of our worries. you should check with the cruise line whether it is ok or not. They will know the laws for each port.

Oh good grief - self-centered much? Your gross inconsideration could cause serious problems - it's not about if you get caught (and I sincerely hope you do). Why do you think they tell you not to do this - certainly not that they would miss a sandwich. It's a serious issue and it's not all about you.

Can't answer for the east coast.. but here in California we have agricultural stops for vehicles entering the state. No fruits or vegetables.:mad:

(So I am presuming the same is true for trying to bring fruit off a ship in San Francisco, San Diego or Los Angeles (San Pedro).

Fruit born pests can ruin a large part of our huge agricultural industry.

In the state of Florida, every semi truck entering and leaving the state by interstate is checked to prevent the spread of disease. I find it hard to believe that if you enter California, you will have to go through a agricultural inspection if you are just driving a passenger car, but I have never driven to California so I do not know.

I don't really think the concept is so confusing. I think those who know how to read these posts understand.

Only being caught and fined/jailed will get the message across??? :(

Pretend your family are farmers and your banana from the ship caused an infestation to your family's citrus grove and they had to destroy all the trees. Does that get the point across? This is not a hypothetical situation. Careless disregard for agriculture laws have devasted some crops/regions.

Don't do it.

Buy lunch ashore or wait to eat when you return to the ship.

Most of us can miss a meal and if medical needs require you eat, stop in a grocery market, fruit stand, a convenience store, a bakery, a deli, a restaurant.......

Think of someone beside own selfish interest,

Please.

I agree with you, I find it shocking that some people can be so self-centered thinking that they can get away with it. They have no idea what an invasive species or infection can do to the local environment. The food on shore probably taste better/fresher than what is available on board anyway.

If you are going on a Baltic cruise, these rules do not apply.

But only in the Baltic!!

Here the food in ports is also very expensive (compared to just about anywhere in the world).

If there are dogs in the terminal, they are only sniffing for drugs.

One of the most fun and best lunches we ever had was at an open market at the pier in Helsinki. Fresh berries, breads, all kinds of wonderful things; oh it was wonderful. We experienced this on a land tour and when we took our cruise, we made it a point to go back.

Jman1118, the answer is YES, the state of California will put your passenger vehicle through an ag inspection. I've travelled back into the state from Oregon, Nevada and Arizona, and those guys get jumpy if you're carrying a stick of fruit flavored gum.

The reason I asked Wimpinthewater35 the question was because I was absolutely sure nobody could be that self centered, careless or dismissive of another countries rules and regs. I was hoping I misunderstood what she was trying to say, but sadly, no. I guess there will always be people who assume the rules don't apply to them and that laws are for suckers.

Really, no sandwich or piece of fruit is worth the damage something like this could bring.

Jman1118, the answer is YES, the state of California will put your passenger vehicle through an ag inspection. I've travelled back into the state from Oregon, Nevada and Arizona, and those guys get jumpy if you're carrying a stick of fruit flavored gum.

The reason I asked Wimpinthewater35 the question was because I was absolutely sure nobody could be that self centered, careless or dismissive of another countries rules and regs. I was hoping I misunderstood what she was trying to say, but sadly, no. I guess there will always be people who assume the rules don't apply to them and that laws are for suckers.

Really, no sandwich or piece of fruit is worth the damage something like this could bring.

There is nothing like that on the east coast, I know California is very liberal when it comes to environmental laws. Do they do an inspection if you are getting off a domestic flight?

In the state of Florida, every semi truck entering and leaving the state by interstate is checked to prevent the spread of disease. I find it hard to believe that if you enter California, you will have to go through a agricultural inspection if you are just driving a passenger car, but I have never driven to California so I do not know..

They stop passenger vehicles. I've lived in California my entire life and been stopped every time I've come back into the state.

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/pe/ExteriorExclusion/borders.html

statistics on the bottom of the page "In 2010, more than 27.5 million private vehicles and 7 million commercial vehicles were inspected at the BPS. From these vehicles, inspectors rejected over 82,000 lots of plant material (fruits, vegetables, plants etc.) because they were in violation of California or federal plant quarentine laws."

From the California Department of Food and Agriculture website

"The importation or smuggling into California of live plants and plant product, or unapproved, uninspected, or uncertified live or domesticated animals, whether as pets or livestock, will have serious legal and financial consequences for the person involved. These activities are prohibited as they could result in potentially damaging impacts to California's agriculture and environment."

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/pe/transport_animals_plants.html

NoobCruise is correct. The state of California is SERIOUS about this. They don't play the radio when it comes to bringing in plants, flowers, fruit, etc.

And yes, if you are flying the friendly skies, luggage (checked and carry ons) are scanned for any plant materials. The dogs positioned at the airport are usually looking for a specific type of "vegetation", but I've seen people pulled out of line by ag agents because they found something.

People think we're talking about one little bug, or mold spore, or parasite but the impact of that little insect has the potential to be devastating for farmers already hurting in this economy.

Archived