Taking food off for lunch?

debrycruise

Great shot, NoobCruise.

Dad was stationed at Castle AFB and that's where I grew up. The issue with the Mediterranean Fruit Fly goes back decades--I remember them spraying all the time.

omg lol I live in Merced and my MIL lives in Atwater lol I grew up in Mariposa lol

I've driven to California. Yes, there is an AG inspection station on every major route. Though the one time I drove, I was heading from Lake Tahoe, and the station was closed, but I was fully prepared to stop. I would assume that the major interstates would always be running. Think of it as a toll booth.

In the state of Florida, every semi truck entering and leaving the state by interstate is checked to prevent the spread of disease. I find it hard to believe that if you enter California, you will have to go through a agricultural inspection if you are just driving a passenger car, but I have never driven to California so I do not know.

Actually every truck and trailer--semi, U-Haul, all of them are required to stop at the ag check point upon entering the state. Not doing so will get you a very expensive ticket and possibly points on your license. California is even stricter--yes every vehicle is checked. (I wish we'd do that in Florida as well--obviously a certain poster proves that some people are ignorant and selfish and are unable to self-police.) Texas also has ag check points, although they aren't always open.

Every passenger arriving in Hawaii from a plane or ship is screened, as is all luggage.

There is nothing like that on the east coast, I know California is very liberal when it comes to environmental laws. Do they do an inspection if you are getting off a domestic flight?

Yes, all checked luggage is "sniffed" by APHIS dogs. I've also seen the dogs working the baggage carousel areas sniffing passengers and carry on's.

Coming into Florida there are ag stops for all commercial vehicles, and I've twice also seen them require all vehicles to enter the stop--including passengers cars and motorcycles. I've also gone through a portable APHIS checkpoints on I-87 just south of 73 in New York State (I've always suspected they were looking for something very specific that was maybe missed at the border because it was dead winter and an hour south of Canada) and on I-95 in Virginia just south of Emporia coming in from NC.

Great shot, NoobCruise.

Dad was stationed at Castle AFB and that's where I grew up. The issue with the Mediterranean Fruit Fly goes back decades--I remember them spraying all the time.

They don't spray as much anymore, now they counter the med fly with sterile male Med flies so they can't reproduce. They have a short life cycle, so it's a pretty effective solution without coating the area with chemicals.

The glassy winged sharp shooter is the real danger right now. Not only does it eat the crops but it also infects them with various bacteria that will damage them.

Better advice would have been to suggest don't eat it within sight of the customs agents who were 30ft away, but they didn't say anything to us except "hope you enjoyed your visit"

Better yet they should have alerted the customs agents to your blatant disregard of the law.

My point is yes the cruiseline will tell you not to bring food off the ship but the "law" isn't very well enforced in all places. Just like bringing alcohol onboard ships that ban passengers from doing so it still happens because the enforcement isn't there at all times.

IMO its ok concealed or not as long as you throw away the trash properly.

Just because the law isn't always enforced, it doesn't mean it's OK to do some you know is illegal. You were that close to the ship, why not just eat on board? Haw selfish can people be?

Actually every truck and trailer--semi, U-Haul, all of them are required to stop at the ag check point upon entering the state. Not doing so will get you a very expensive ticket and possibly points on your license. California is even stricter--yes every vehicle is checked. (I wish we'd do that in Florida as well--obviously a certain poster proves that some people are ignorant and selfish and are unable to self-police.) Texas also has ag check points, although they aren't always open.

Every passenger arriving in Hawaii from a plane or ship is screened, as is all luggage.

What are they looking for? just invasive insects and foreign plants? Seems kind of a hassle to stop every time you enter the state.

What are they looking for? just invasive insects and foreign plants? Seems kind of a hassle to stop every time you enter the state.

There is nothing "just" about insects and plants being brought into the local envrionment. Yes, it's a hassle but not nearly the hassle sufferd by the local economy decimated by the destruction of its agriculture.

There is nothing "just" about insects and plants being brought into the local envrionment. Yes, it's a hassle but not nearly the hassle sufferd by the local economy decimated by the destruction of its agriculture.

I guess the ten minutes it would probably take to stop your car and let them search is better than the millions of dollars they would have to pay to stop an invasion by a foreign invasive species.

The best food I had on my cruise was lunch in port. Sure it was a little pricey, but isn't everything with a vacation?

I was thinking this the entire time I was reading this thread. :)

My mom is required to have food with her medication during the day so we called and asked the cruise line where we could and couldn't take off pre-pacakged bars. So far all the ports on our cruise (Alaska) are fine.

All I read on these boards is that ports have TONS of stores and eateries...why not just stop. I mean you spend thousands on a vacation and ruin it with a $3.00 sandwich?? :confused:

And non-indigenous species of animals including birds. California agriculture is almost a $40 BILLION dollar a year industry.

I look at each stop as an opportunity to try something new, including the food. If there is some reason my budget doesn't allow a splurge, I can always head back to the ship for lunch, then head back out again.

Putting the agricultural concerns of a community and the livelihood of people in danger by sneaking a sandwich or snack off the ship is so morally beyond the pale, I really have no words.

NoobCruise: No more spraying? That tells you how long it's been since I lived in the state. And yes, I lived in Merced just north of Loughborough (mad props, Pizza Villa! :D).

We have agricultural inspections here in Texas too because the among other crops the citrus, cotton, rice and onions grown here could be impacted by an invader. That cute little beagle with the green jacket at the airports and ports is the Agricultural inspection dog trained to sniff out food of any kind. He loves his job, especially the rewards he gets when some idiot has to disregard all instructions regarding the importation of fruit or vegetables into the state.

I look at each stop as an opportunity to try something new, including the food. If there is some reason my budget doesn't allow a splurge, I can always head back to the ship for lunch, then head back out again.

Putting the agricultural concerns of a community and the livelihood of people in danger by sneaking a sandwich or snack off the ship is so morally beyond the pale, I really have no words.

NoobCruise: No more spraying? That tells you how long it's been since I lived in the state. And yes, I lived in Merced just north of Loughborough (mad props, Pizza Villa! :D).

You lived just a few blocks from me lol I drive past Pizza Villa every time I go to the mall

And non-indigenous species of animals including birds. California agriculture is almost a $40 BILLION dollar a year industry.

it's really not a big deal to go through the inspection. It's like a toll booth and you roll down your window. The inspector asks you if you have any fruit, veg, plants, animals etc. If you don't, he just waves you through. If you do, he asks you what you have, where you're coming from, and where you got it (grocery store or picked off a farm). If you're coming from a place known to have pests that we don't want here, then you have to give it to them. If you're coming from somewhere that's not a problem - like we bought fruit at the Safeway in Reno, you can keep it and off you go.

They don't search the vehicle like a drug search or inspect the food for bugs lol

I generally don't buy food on shore. My reasons for this are that while the local food might be entertaining, if I'm not familiar with the country, I'm going to be hesitant about food safety regulations.

Plus, I paid for all the food that I can eat on the ship. I'll just schedule myself to eat on the ship. In the Caribbean, I couldn't spend more than a few hours off ship anyways.

I generally don't buy food on shore. My reasons for this are that while the local food might be entertaining, if I'm not familiar with the country, I'm going to be hesitant about food safety regulations.

Plus, I paid for all the food that I can eat on the ship. I'll just schedule myself to eat on the ship. In the Caribbean, I couldn't spend more than a few hours off ship anyways.

A lot also depends on which port you are in. The restaurants near the pier are not likely to serve questionable food, as doing so could seriously hurt their reputation. Now if you are in the middle of the jungle somewhere, and happen to run across a thatched hut selling food, I would be more hesitant there for sure.

Another perspective is that you have paid to experience foods from other countries. The amount of money the ship budgets for your lunch is about $2 a day. You are really not missing out on much by missing a couple cruise ship lunches.

Can't answer for the east coast.. but here in California we have agricultural stops for vehicles entering the state. No fruits or vegetables.:mad:

(So I am presuming the same is true for trying to bring fruit off a ship in San Francisco, San Diego or Los Angeles (San Pedro).

Fruit born pests can ruin a large part of our huge agricultural industry.

In the state of Florida, every semi truck entering and leaving the state by interstate is checked to prevent the spread of disease. I find it hard to believe that if you enter California, you will have to go through a agricultural inspection if you are just driving a passenger car, but I have never driven to California so I do not know.

I agree with you, I find it shocking that some people can be so self-centered thinking that they can get away with it. They have no idea what an invasive species or infection can do to the local environment. The food on shore probably taste better/fresher than what is available on board anyway.

Yep, we're serious here about keeping our crops safe. If you drive across the border into California, you have to stop at a check point.

I remember the major Med Fly spraying here in Los Angeles County in the 80s. It's a major deal, costing much money and also is not pleasant for the residents (you have to cover any cars kept outside, etc.). But not eradicating the pests will cost so much more.

Absolutely correct...thank you.

We are in the world's agricultural epicenter...a bug can literally destroy thousands of acres of oranges, plums, peaches, almonds,...not to mention the vineyards. It affects not only the local economy, but perhaps the whole world.

NO...please kindly don't take food off the ship.

Absolutely correct...thank you.

We are in the world's agricultural epicenter...a bug can literally destroy thousands of acres of oranges, plums, peaches, almonds,...not to mention the vineyards. It affects not only the local economy, but perhaps the whole world.

NO...please kindly don't take food off the ship.

nice avatar :) go dogs!

Thanks to all who are posting NOT to take food ashore. I can't believe that people think it's ok to do this - gives me a tiny inkling why tourists from the US are not well-liked in many places abroad.

That said, if you can afford the cruise, you can afford to eat onshore. You're on vacation after all, and as one person said, it's a great opportunity to try some of the local food.

And, if you're too cheap to buy lunch onshore, then try not spending $40 for a beverage card for everyone in your family - that will pay for a few meals!

Archived