Villa Herencia

Cruisin KLS

• 6 months later...

Yeah...I found this hotel on Trip Advisor. Looking forward to your feedback. If you can let me know which rooms are UPSTAIRS, I'd appreciate it. Trip Advisor said the upstairs rooms were nicer, but it's impossible to tell location of rooms on the hotel website. Thanks!!

We are flying in to OSJ 24 hrs prior to our Dec 2012 cruise and this is the spot we picked. The reviews look great and it just seems funky/cool/romantic all rolled into one. We'll report back in December!

GREAT!! I look forward to hearing about your experience!!

We stayed here in Jan of this year and loved it. There is a terrace on the roof with pretty views. Everything is authentic: original tile floors, ceiling beams, etc. We stayed in the room with the four poster bed with mosquito netting that you can see on the website. It was beautiful, but was right next to the lobby, so not much privacy, if that's important to you. (You can hear voices through the doors.)

There are other rooms that open to the courtyard that are VERY SMALL. I mean smaller than the smallest cruise ship cabin. The door was open in one, and the bed went almost to the door, and took up the whole room. The couple staying there said it was comical, how small it was. There are bigger rooms upstairs, I believe, but I didn't get a chance to peek in one of those.;) We loved it and will stay there again next time we're lucky enough to be in San Juan!

We stayed here in Jan of this year and loved it. There is a terrace on the roof with pretty views. Everything is authentic: original tile floors, ceiling beams, etc. We stayed in the room with the four poster bed with mosquito netting that you can see on the website. It was beautiful, but was right next to the lobby, so not much privacy, if that's important to you. (You can hear voices through the doors.)

There are other rooms that open to the courtyard that are VERY SMALL. I mean smaller than the smallest cruise ship cabin. The door was open in one, and the bed went almost to the door, and took up the whole room. The couple staying there said it was comical, how small it was. There are bigger rooms upstairs, I believe, but I didn't get a chance to peek in one of those.;) We loved it and will stay there again next time we're lucky enough to be in San Juan!

Can you tell me about the closures on the door and windows? DH is concerned since the pictures look like the just have shutters. Thanks for the information.

Kristi

Stayed here last year in April -- we loved it! We had one of those ultra-small rooms off the courtyard, with a tree actually growing in the doorway. :) But the bathroom was large and roomy and it was clean, comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. The place is charming and breakfast with the other guests around the big dining room table was fun. A block away is a large church -- the doors were open Saturday night and there was standing room only, as Easter was the following day. We sat in the little park outside and listened to the music and chanting. Location is fabulous -- close to shopping & sights in San Juan. We would love to stay here again, but I'm afraid the secret is out, so they are full for our next San Juan visit. Enjoy!

Stayed here last year in April -- we loved it! We had one of those ultra-small rooms off the courtyard, with a tree actually growing in the doorway. :) But the bathroom was large and roomy and it was clean, comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. The place is charming and breakfast with the other guests around the big dining room table was fun. A block away is a large church -- the doors were open Saturday night and there was standing room only, as Easter was the following day. We sat in the little park outside and listened to the music and chanting. Location is fabulous -- close to shopping & sights in San Juan. We would love to stay here again, but I'm afraid the secret is out, so they are full for our next San Juan visit. Enjoy!

What was your room number? Is it true that the rooms on the second floor are larger than those on the ground floor?

• 1 month later...

The wife and I stayed here the night before our cruise last week. I hate to sound like a teenager but OMG, it was incredible. Everything was exactly as described. We were in H2 (the room near the lobby) and weren't really bothered by the noise from the courtyard. The room was totally old world (almost time machine like) while the bathroom was old world meets new world with contemporary fixtures (glass bowl table top sink, eco friendly toilet). We loved returning to the hotel to see other tourists looking through the window into the breakfast area (zebra skinned chairs can draw attention) saying "This was the place I was telling you about". You are issued a key to the front door of the hotel upon check-in and it is generally locked at all times which only adds to the private, intimate feel of the experience. I would be VERY hard pressed to stay anywhere else on our next visit. Just crazy romantic about sums it up. One last tip. When wandering around, use the Convento next door as your landmark until you are familiar with the streets, it is huge, yellow and right next door. Hope all of that helps :D

The wife and I stayed here the night before our cruise last week. I hate to sound like a teenager but OMG, it was incredible. Everything was exactly as described. We were in H2 (the room near the lobby) and weren't really bothered by the noise from the courtyard. The room was totally old world (almost time machine like) while the bathroom was old world meets new world with contemporary fixtures (glass bowl table top sink, eco friendly toilet). We loved returning to the hotel to see other tourists looking through the window into the breakfast area (zebra skinned chairs can draw attention) saying "This was the place I was telling you about". You are issued a key to the front door of the hotel upon check-in and it is generally locked at all times which only adds to the private, intimate feel of the experience. I would be VERY hard pressed to stay anywhere else on our next visit. Just crazy romantic about sums it up. One last tip. When wandering around, use the Convento next door as your landmark until you are familiar with the streets, it is huge, yellow and right next door. Hope all of that helps :D

So glad you came back and posted about your stay!! I plan to book this hotel for my March 2014 cruise. Yes, I know that's a LONG way away, but I'm one of those anal planners!! So glad you enjoyed the stay and thanks for the tips!!

So glad you came back and posted about your stay!! I plan to book this hotel for my March 2014 cruise. Yes, I know that's a LONG way away, but I'm one of those anal planners!! So glad you enjoyed the stay and thanks for the tips!!

Oh my! What a beautiful place! I am also cruising (early) April 2014 & wanting to stay on OSJ for a few nights prior. This may look like the place!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you UBR_G33K for posting your review. Just booked Villa Herencia for 2 days after my cruise in November.

Do the room numbers have any bearing on how close they are to the "lobby"? I know there are at least two upstairs (suites?) From the interior photos it appears they are all directly off the small courtyard. Do any have exterior windows?

Do the room numbers have any bearing on how close they are to the "lobby"? I know there are at least two upstairs (suites?) From the interior photos it appears they are all directly off the small courtyard. Do any have exterior windows?

We stayed here in October. It was everything everyone else said it was. Quaint, romantic, unique. We were in the upstairs suite (H5 I think). The outdoor bathtubs are just outside of our room. A fantastic experience and really helpful staff.

Some photos from our stay.

It was night when we arrived here.

ry3D400_zps46763980.jpg

Separate sitting area.

ry3D481_zps4320daec.jpg

Second small bedroom

ry3D483_zps9661dc1a.jpg

This is what our room opened up to.

ry3D484_zps8c133a17.jpg

From the lobby heading towards the rooms

ry3D486_zps4041bcc7.jpg

I'd love to go back and spend more time. OSJ was crazy on Saturday night. The streets were packed with locals and tourists alike. If were were staying for an extended period of time we'd probably stay at one of the hotels closer to a beach, but for a weekend pre or post cruise this was a great place.

We stayed one night pre cruise in November. The property was nice but our room was very, very small - hard to turn around in small. We were off the courtyard on the first floor. The bathroom was three steps up from the bed - not a big deal but we were a little worried about tripping on the stairs during the middle of the night. The location is great. I would probably only stay there again if we upgraded to a larger room and then at that point, we could probably stay at El Convento which is my opinion is much nicer.

We stayed one night pre cruise in November. The property was nice but our room was very, very small - hard to turn around in small. We were off the courtyard on the first floor. The bathroom was three steps up from the bed - not a big deal but we were a little worried about tripping on the stairs during the middle of the night. The location is great. I would probably only stay there again if we upgraded to a larger room and then at that point, we could probably stay at El Convento which is my opinion is much nicer.

Can you tell me if you were in a queen or king room? W are booked in a king room and just looking for a comparison to your review.

Thanks!

Kristi

Will be booking a queen-sized room. I know some are downstairs and some are upstairs. Trip Adviser recommends booking on the second floor, but the inn's website doesn't specify the floor, only the room numbers. Anyone who has visited here know which rooms are up versus down?

Will be booking a queen-sized room. I know some are downstairs and some are upstairs. Trip Adviser recommends booking on the second floor, but the inn's website doesn't specify the floor, only the room numbers. Anyone who has visited here know which rooms are up versus down?

Not sure, but my understanding is there are two rooms upstairs. At least one is the 2-bedroom suite. We booked a king room, at the time there were two listed as available: H5 and H7. One of the Tripadvisor reviews said H7 was next to the lobby. We booked H5. The place looks so small that probably all of the downstairs rooms are next to the lobby, lol! :D

Can anyone remember the booking policy ? The website states that there is a deposit payable at the time of booking, do you then settle the full amount upon check out?

Just checked my confirmation. I did not pay a deposit; it shows the full amount as payable at checkin. I booked directly on their website.

I'm also keen on this information.

You mentioned you wanted to book for March 2014 - how far in advance are you planning to book?

Archived