Villa Herencia

Cruisin KLS

Just returned today from our cruise. Stayed one night precruise. Will write a longer review on the Tripadvisor site. Hotel is charming and very rustic. Employees are friendly and pleasant. Location is terrific. Rooms are tiny no storage spaces. H5 is a king with sofa. We were disappointed in the condition, dirt in every corner and crevice around wall base, needs a good scrubbing, old is no excuse for lack of cleanliness. Our shower was missing tiles on the floor. Furniture on rooftop terrace is worn and broken. We were fairly early to breakfast and had to request tea, cups and plates.They ran out of yogurt and juice.

Although there are positives, we see no comparison at all with El Convento.

Your assessment of the room is not very positive. At the recommendation of the girl at the VH, we booked the same H5 for later this year for 4 nights. We are 3 in our group, with adult daughter with us. Now I have two concerns, one, will the sofa in the room be adequate for additional bed? Two, our flight arrives at 10:30 pm, by the time we get to VH, will there be someone to open the door for us. I still have time to cancel and book another place. Any suggestions?

our flight arrives at 10:30 pm, by the time we get to VH, will there be someone to open the door for us. I still have time to cancel and book another place. Any suggestions?

I actually arrive after 11pm - i asked whether there will be someone there & the lady said that they are there until 11pm each night but let them know closer to the date & they will ensure that someone is there on our arrival.

Re the cancelling... i would suggest to decide what is important to you during your stay in OSJ & then see what boxes VH ticks.

Your assessment of the room is not very positive. At the recommendation of the girl at the VH, we booked the same H5 for later this year for 4 nights. We are 3 in our group, with adult daughter with us. Now I have two concerns, one, will the sofa in the room be adequate for additional bed? Two, our flight arrives at 10:30 pm, by the time we get to VH, will there be someone to open the door for us. I still have time to cancel and book another place. Any suggestions?

IMHO it will be very tight. Did they tell you if the sofa opens, or is iit to be used as a day bed with the pillows removed? If it opens, it will open right to the base of the armoire, and will be up against the wall on one side with no room to walk around it. I'm not sure where you would place your luggage to access contents unless you use duffle-type bags, or close and open them on the beds when you need to get something. Let me check through my photos later today and see if i have something to help you visualize the space. Did you consider the two-bedroom suite upstairs?

We checked in early on a Saturday but they did tell us the hotel would be staffed 24 hours that day.

sippican - I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a great experience.

Our room was the first one on the left past the office.

It was pretty big, with one step up to the bathroom, which was also large (the shower was so big there were two shower heads) Our room was much larger than our friends who traveled with us.

I've stayed at El Convento before and agree it is nicer, but I loved the older charm of VH and the small quaint feel of it. In fact, all the rooms were occupied by people on our cruise and we became friends before we even boarded.

I am getting ready to book one of the downstairs rooms at Villa Herencia, which I believe are H2, H3 and H4? Was wondering if you could tell me which room you booked as I would like to request it. Thank you!

Beth

I am getting ready to book one of the downstairs rooms at Villa Herencia, which I believe are H2, H3 and H4? Was wondering if you could tell me which room you booked as I would like to request it. Thank you!

Beth

I can't remember right now, but will work at it...

It is the room featured in the pictures on their website under Standard Queen.

the first room on the left - downstairs.

I tried to call them just now to ask the room # but did not get an answer.

I promise when I find out I will come back and post. - Check out the pictures on their website.

Everyone we dealt with at Villa Herencia was wonderful! Our room H8 was fantastic. Plenty of space and super clean - I am ultra picky!

Everyone has different standards and I was really looking forward to the small boutique hotel with eclectic style and walking around OSJ. Villa Herencia did not fail to deliver!

DH and I did discuss things in length after we booked but before we stayed there. It is not a Marriott. We have stayed at the Marriott before and the Intercontinental. Both were great resorts. Different feel from the small B&B that the Villa is. Just be aware of what you are getting before you stay there. It is not a resort. No safe in the room. No ice machine. No elevator.

As long as you are educated before hand I am sure you will be pleased. And if you are not satisfied with something, speak up. They will rectify the issues. I called numerous times before we left with questions and everything was answered for me. Would not hesitate to stay there again. Only reason we are not in January 2014 is that they were booked. We are staying at The Casablanca, their sister hotel.

-Kristi

I can't remember right now, but will work at it...

It is the room featured in the pictures on their website under Standard Queen.

the first room on the left - downstairs.

I tried to call them just now to ask the room # but did not get an answer.

I promise when I find out I will come back and post. - Check out the pictures on their website.

Don't go to too much trouble (which you've already apparently done, thank you :D) ... I will get on the phone with them tomorrow and ask. Thank you so much for the information ... it definitely looks like a perfect fit for my husband and I!

IMHO it will be very tight. Did they tell you if the sofa opens, or is iit to be used as a day bed with the pillows removed? If it opens, it will open right to the base of the armoire, and will be up against the wall on one side with no room to walk around it. I'm not sure where you would place your luggage to access contents unless you use duffle-type bags, or close and open them on the beds when you need to get something. Let me check through my photos later today and see if i have something to help you visualize the space. Did you consider the two-bedroom suite upstairs?

We checked in early on a Saturday but they did tell us the hotel would be staffed 24 hours that day.

I called VH today, lady on the phone did say that the sofa does open up to make a bed. We will have to deal with the limited space in the room, some how. There are not many choices for hotels in OSJ, at a reasonable price. The reviews are very good for VH and the location is perfect. If you do find some photographs of the room, please do post them.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my concerns.

I actually arrive after 11pm - i asked whether there will be someone there & the lady said that they are there until 11pm each night but let them know closer to the date & they will ensure that someone is there on our arrival.

Re the cancelling... i would suggest to decide what is important to you during your stay in OSJ & then see what boxes VH ticks.

We had a nightmare trip down to San Juan in October. We were to arrive around 1:45PM to see the sights, experience OSJ etc. Flights delayed, not held, re-routing through different cities. Not a fun way to start vacation. I called Villa Herencia probably around 3:00PM to let them know we wouldn't be there until around 11:00PM. I knew about the front door being closed. We ended up being stuck at the airport in San Juan until around midnight due to our luggage not making it through because of all of the changes we had to make. They were wonderful and waited for us until 12:30AM when we finally arrived. We had the H9, upstairs suite. We loved the room and will definitely go back to VH again when we revisit OSJ. We had the suite and it's still a small space. If you want to spread out and need a 1,000 sq. ft. room this is not the place. If you want charm, history and the true feel of OSJ, this is the place for you.

I'm so excited, we just booked Villa Herencia for two nights before our April '14 cruise. It's nice to read so many honest, and candid reviews. It is not the type of place we would normally stay, we more resort type people, so I am excited to try something new. I really wanted to stay in OSJ and the price was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
We are considering this hotel for a precruise stay and our only concern is where to keep our valuables while we are out wandering since there is no safe in the room. Wondering how others have handled this.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I have a Pacsafe purse and DH has a money belt. The only item of value we left was my iPad (which I rarely lock up anyway).

Although there is a lock on the front entryway door to the the hotel, it was frequently not locked, or shut tightly.

We are considering this hotel for a precruise stay and our only concern is where to keep our valuables while we are out wandering since there is no safe in the room. Wondering how others have handled this.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I carried a back pack one night with camera and passport, cell phones and ipod. The next day, locked everything in one suitcase except the passports.

Every day we were there the front door was locked and shut tight. Felt very safe but you can not be too trusting.

Archived