Hotels in NOLA

momof5k

I'm hoping someone who has cruised out of NO before, or a local can provide me with some guidance. (We're sailing on RCL Navigator in Nov. - Julia Street #2)

I've been looking at NO hotels in relation to the port.

(Specifically looking for ones in walking distance.)

I have read some comments in a thread about how traffic by the port can get bad and if you are taking a cab you'll want to leave plenty of time for boarding as you may be sitting in traffic for a while. But also not to get there too early because the terminal is small and there is supposedly not enough room to those waiting to board.

I've also read other comments about how you can't really walk to the port.

We are flying into MSY and will not have a car but I was going to book Embassy Suites as it is 2 blocks from the whale lot (saw this lot recommended to those driving.) So it looks as though I can walk 2 blocks, entering the port terminal via the whale lot. Or possibly Hilton NO Riverside if I can walk through the Riverwalk mall to the terminal.

So, if we really can't walk to the port then my hotel search area gets much larger, and I'd be looking closer to/or in the french quarter as we are flying in the day before.

Also, I've never been to NO before should I avoid Bourbon street altogether since I'll have a couple 13yr olds with me? I'd like to at least walk down the street and look around a bit in the early evening.

Walking to the port is difficult to do. It may look like on maps you can do this, but with traffice, it is difficult. Traffic is crazy, and the port is small. I would take a taxie. There is a special lane of cabs, and they can get to the front faster than a regular car. Be ready to wait and do not let it ruin your trip.

Lydia,

I would look at the Sheraton on Canal or the Drury Inn. These are both great hotels, and in safe areas. Remember you get what you pay for, and some cheaper hotels in New Orleans are not in the best part of town. Avoid mid-city hotels.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

What about La Quinta by the airport? We are thinking of staying in an (cheap)airport hotel our first night, then moving on to the French Quarter.

La Quinta has good reviews on a travel site. I'm just wondering how safe it would be to walk to the Mcdonalds, which looks to be a block and a half away, in daylight hours?

Hi all,

What about La Quinta by the airport? We are thinking of staying in an (cheap)airport hotel our first night, then moving on to the French Quarter.

La Quinta has good reviews on a travel site. I'm just wondering how safe it would be to walk to the Mcdonalds, which looks to be a block and a half away, in daylight hours?

I just found the La Quinta Inn West Bank, would this be a better choice? It looks like there is a mall right there. Safe to walk to?

Sorry for the delay in responses, we were on our cruise. I need address, as there are several in both locations. Some are ok, some are not. I would recommend the Holiday Inn Express in Harvey. It has a good place to eat like a block away. Safe to walk there.

Thanks for your response.

We are really looking at the La Quinta in Kenner on Williams. I actually made a reservation there a couple days ago and the rate is pretty good.

So I think we will stay here but just need to know if it would be safe to walk to the McDonald's.

Just booked last night on PL the Hyatt Regency New Orleans 4 * (downtown area) for $68 after several bids. Does anyone know anything about this hotel? We had hoped to get lucky & get something in the French Quarter area.

Now can anyone offer suggestions or advice regarding must see places to see & eat & transportation to airport since this is our first time in New Orleans. We'll be coming in on the Navigator TA sailing on Nov 17 and flying out on Nov 19.

Thanks

We wil be cruising out of NOLA next October (2013) and will be driving from Atlanta. We will be getting there a few days early to see the town and need a good place to stay. We will have my parents with us and my mother uses a wheelchair (but can also walk soem too). We plan to drive to the port (leaving on the 20th on Carnival Conquest) since it is easier for us with her wheelchair and when we split the parking between 2 couples it is not so expensive. We do want the free breakfast and we would prefer to leave the van and use the streetcar or walk when we are tourists in NO. What hotels would you recommend? We would prefer something under $100/night to keep costs down. We had looked at the Quality Inn in Gretna. Any ideas.

I would recommend walking the Riverwalk attached to your hotel. I would also recommend the Gumbo Shop for lunch or dinner. Great New Orleans style food. Drago's is in the hotel, this is a great place to eat. We eat at Drago's when ever we can. The owner of this place gave over 100,000 free meals to Red Cross workers following Katrina. When the news media made a story on him he got mad. He said he did it to help, not for them to do a news story. True Katrina hero!

You will like the hotel, it is a great place to stay,

I would recommend walking the Riverwalk attached to your hotel. I would also recommend the Gumbo Shop for lunch or dinner. Great New Orleans style food. Drago's is in the hotel, this is a great place to eat. We eat at Drago's when ever we can. The owner of this place gave over 100,000 free meals to Red Cross workers following Katrina. When the news media made a story on him he got mad. He said he did it to help, not for them to do a news story. True Katrina hero!

You will like the hotel, it is a great place to stay,

Are you referring to the hotel we got on Priceline - Hyatt Regency? What about transportation from the cruise port to the hotel, and from the hotel to the airport?

Thanks for any information you could share with us C Richard.

Lynn

I am looking at the La Quinta on the West Bank for Jan 2013. $99.00 a night and free parking during the 7 day cruise. Any thoughts? I see a bunch of restaurants located .01 mile from the hotel, I wonder if they are any good. I just called the hotel and they told me it is 17.00 for a taxi to the port. That sounds high to basically just go across the bridge.

BTW we have been to NOLA twice before for cruises. In 2009 we stayed at the Drury with free parking. The free parking is gone now. In 2011 we stayed at the Quality Inn on St. Charles, they had free parking then and it is no longer available.

Check out Hampton Inn on St. Charles Ave. in the Garden Dist.(504-899-9990 ask for cruise pkg) $129 + free parking + breakfest. Street cars run right in front of hotel (all day ride $3). No Shuttle to port but not to far. What I'm doing is drive over & drop off bags and drive back to park while the wife gets ready. Then taking the street car back to port.

Check out Hampton Inn on St. Charles Ave. in the Garden Dist.(504-899-9990 ask for cruise pkg) $129 + free parking + breakfest. Street cars run right in front of hotel (all day ride $3). No Shuttle to port but not to far. What I'm doing is drive over & drop off bags and drive back to park while the wife gets ready. Then taking the street car back to port.

I don't think the street cars will take you to the port terminal.

The luggage will not really fit on the streetcars along the river, these are smaller than the regular ones. The cab fare from Gretna is about normal for New Orleans. There are good places to eat walking distance to the hotel. I live in Gretna. What kind of food do you like and I will be happy to make suggestions.

The cab fare from Gretna is about normal for New Orleans. There are good places to eat walking distance to the hotel. I live in Gretna. What kind of food do you like and I will be happy to make suggestions.

Steak house like Outback or similar with drinks available. Thank you.

Tony's Mandina's is just around the cornor. Easy walk. They have steaks and italian along with some seafood. Drinks here are great!

The Outback is about a 5 minute drive from the hotel. Take the Expressway to the Barataria Exit and turn left onto Barataria. It is down on the left. I would recommend Tony's it is really good.

There is also a china buffet that is excellent. It is called Chopsticks. It is in Academy's shopping center right near the hotel. There is a Wendy's there also. All three of these are walking distance. If you need any other help, let me know.

Tony's Mandina's is just around the cornor. Easy walk. They have steaks and italian along with some seafood. Drinks here are great!

The Outback is about a 5 minute drive from the hotel. Take the Expressway to the Barataria Exit and turn left onto Barataria. It is down on the left. I would recommend Tony's it is really good.

There is also a china buffet that is excellent. It is called Chopsticks. It is in Academy's shopping center right near the hotel. There is a Wendy's there also. All three of these are walking distance. If you need any other help, let me know.

Thank you for the info.

Just stumbled upon this board. Looking for a hotel and found a rea.sonable price at the Astor Crowne. Anyone have a idea about this place as well as it's location. Would like to spend a couple days there and then cruise out on 9-23.

Been a long tme since I was in NOLA and can not remember much, so hoping for a recommendation.

We are going out of NOLA in April 2013, and just booked

Holiday Inn Express NEW ORLEANS EAST On BULLARD AVE.

Has any one ever stayed there? :) :D

This is NOT a safe area of town. Avoid New Orleans East at all costs! I am a local, cannot pay me to go out there.

Archived