The problem with visiting Brugge - by BYO

bazzaw

Although Brugge is only 20 short klms away from Zeebrugge - it seems to me that to go to Brugge by train ( as is commonly promoted) means that you can waste several hours in a short day in getting to and from. Firstly you have to get the shuttle to Blankenberge station - from which there is only one train per hour. Hence it could take up to 2.5 hours before you get to Brugge after arriving in the port of Zeebrugge. Then you have to allow plenty of time to get back to Blankenberge to pick up the last shuttle bus ( last bus being not always the wisest thing to do) -- so am wondering if Brugge is just one of these places where it is better to pay for the ship's tour.??

Barry

We were first off the ship and on to the shuttle. I expected a mass of folks to be rushing for the shuttle, thus our early arrival. That was not the case. Once the shuttle gathered a significant number of passengers, we were off and shuttling. We caught the first possible train into Brugge, had a leisurely, though damp several hours, a lunch of moules frites, and of course, a Belgian beer and were back to the train station with plenty of time to spare.

Just our take. May not work for all. Would do it again this way and hope to do similar in May 2013..........

My notes from two years ago on the QV when we docked at 8.00am:

Shuttle bus: first is 8.30am depart and last return one is 4.30pm. (20 min journey)

We got the 9.30am shuttle, 10.10am train and 2.38pm return train (we didn't risk getting the 3.38pm train back)

So that gave us 4 hours in Bruges.

The Bruges on Your Own Tour was 9.45am -16.45pm.

RESERVE A TAXI...

We shared one with others from the cruise...they have very large taxis that carry eight...so the cost per person is relatively cheap...

Arrange for them to meet you at the ship and then to meet you at a set point in town for the trip back...easy...

But there is a shortage of taxis, so make sure to reserve in advance...

My notes from two years ago on the QV:

Shuttle bus: first is 8.30am depart and last return one is 4.30pm. (20 min journey)

We got the 9.30am shuttle, 10.10am train and 2.38pm return train (we didn't risk getting the 3.38pm train back)

So that gave us 4 hours in Bruges. If you manage to get the 8.30am shuttle, it would give you 5 hours in Bruges.

Mind you, I do not keep the detailed notes that you do, but that sound similar to our time frames. My port notes are merely what my feeble mind remembers :) and the photos that I take. BTW, we were on the HAL Prinsendam at the time.

• 10 months later...

We are trying to make the same decision...are leaning toward taking ship tour...unless we can find tourguide/company. None of us have been there before so we want to see all the sights and know what we are seeing without going in circles....

Thanks for any suggestions...

Yes, shuttle then train is a pain, but not as time-consuming as you've figured.

Mebbe 10 min wait for a shuttle, ten minute ride, miss a train by 5 mins so a 55min wait, then 15 min train journey.

Total 90 minutes at worst.

Ship's bus will take about 25 - 30 minutes, so train will cost a maximum of an hour. And costs about 6 euros return.

Ship's Bruges-on-your-own drop point, by Minniewater, is about a 10-15 min walk to the centre, same as the train station, cos tour buses aren't allowed in the centre.

Return is simple enough, you can guage your time in town to arrive at the station for the return train with, say, 15 mins to spare.

And if you push your luck & aim for the last suitable train....and then miss it ? Just grab a taxi at the train station, about 50 euros.

Ditto, but way cheaper, if you miss the last shuttle at Blankenburge.

Not saying train is best, just laying out the facts for folk to make up their own minds

JB :).

RESERVE A TAXI...

We shared one with others from the cruise...they have very large taxis that carry eight...so the cost per person is relatively cheap...

Arrange for them to meet you at the ship and then to meet you at a set point in town for the trip back...easy...

But there is a shortage of taxis, so make sure to reserve in advance...

Which taxi company did you use, and did you call or email them?

BTW...Go Bruins!

Which taxi company did you use, and did you call or email them?

BTW...Go Bruins!

I don't recall...someone else in our group arranged for it...

There were several of us from the roll call doing the Segway tour so we all decided to take the taxi together (they are BIG taxi vans)...

Archived