Fixed Seating and children

ecoxwhite

We are a family of 13 travelling together on Oct. 9, 6 of which are kids ranging in age from 7-16. We have put in for early fixed seating on the STAR since we thought it would be hard to get two large tables together for the anytime dining. We had hoped that the kids would eat with us.

I saw in other posts that the children have their own eating times? Do they dine seperate from us? Can they join us in the dining room? Does the 6pm fixed seating conflict with childrens programs?

Your help is appreciatied.

Elaine

Seating is for everyone in the family. Yes, the children's programs start at seven and this is before dinner is over. Kids dinner out in Feb on the Star stared at 7:00. Our kids 6 and 9 would eat with us then just skip dessert. One of us would take them up to the children's center before dessert and return to finish up the meal.

We have been on two cruises with our grandchildren. The first time we did the traditional (fixed) seating and found it difficult to get the kids to their programs in time. Just this March we did the any-time dining and found it worked very well. There were 9 in our party. We were able to make a standing reservation in the dining room of our choice at 5:30. The lines didn't get long until after 6:00. We were always out in plenty of time to get the boys up to their program. It worked out so well that we have decided to do the any-time dining whenever we travel with the kids as it works much better time-wise.

Your kids can definitely eat at your table. They don't mind at all. IF they are well behaved and can sit thru a 2 and a half hour dinner that is the thing. I have seen people bring in DVD players for their kids to watch a movie while they were waiting thru all the courses. That is why some people decide to put their kids in the kids program during dinner. That way the adults can enjoy their meal and not worry about their kids fidgeting the entire time while they eat and are served. Dinner can easily take 2 hours and it is hard for some kids to sit that long. The parents would rather enjoy their meal and not worry about keeping their kids occupied. If you want to bring them to the meal they have kids menus and you could bring toys to the meal. It is totally us to you what you want to do. But I have sat next to families with little kids and it doesn't look like they are having an easy time of it. I didn't take my kids along until they were 8 and up and I remember even at that age it was hard to keep them still for the entire time.

The kids could eat with you every night, if you want. Typically (on a 7 day cruise) the kids program has a special dinner in the horizon court either once or twice--not every night. The kids dinner (and the evening part of the kids program) does start at 7:00.

If you use first seating traditional, it does limit the flexibility you might have with regards to dining. We have a 4 year old that will have been on about 10 cruises by next January. We've found that dinners are more relaxing without her. We select either personal choice or late traditional. For dinner, she can eat pizza, room service, or the horizon court (or join us in one of the personal choice dining rooms) before going to the kids program.

If you stay with first seating traditional, you pretty much have to dine with your kids--since there is no kids program at 6:00.

Our waiters have always been very accomodating. Typically our son, who was four years old on our last cruise, would not order all the courses that comprise the adult meal. While we were doing our app, soup and salad Timmy would have his entree. While we had our entree, Timmy had his dessert. By the time our son finished dessert it would be time for the kids program, so DH or I would take him up to the kids room, while the remaining parent ordered dessert and coffee. By the time we had him dropped off and were back to the table we could enjoy a leisurely dessert and coffee. On all of our cruises we have always been partnered with another family who had at least one child. We have never had a problem except for the couple that let their three year old son climb up on top of the dinner table during the meal. We spoke with the maitre d about them, and did not have to eat with them any more during the cruise!!

Our son really enjoys eating in the dining room. He knows what is expected of him and relishes in the attention the wait folks give him. He has always exceeded our expectations and I like the fact that he has an opportunity to learn the art of fine dining. You will have a great time!!

We are a family of 13 travelling together on Oct. 9, 6 of which are kids ranging in age from 7-16. We have put in for early fixed seating on the STAR since we thought it would be hard to get two large tables together for the anytime dining. We had hoped that the kids would eat with us.

We are a party of 9 with 4 children ages 10,11,14,16 boy,girl,girl,boy.

Our kids are looking forward to meeting yours. They love to meet new friends. Hope yours do too.

francine

Star Princess in October....is that a caribbean itinerary?

If you are from the west coast, early fixed seating is a little early for the kids to eat dinner because they are on west coast time and there is a 4-hour time difference.

No matter, have them eat something light at the table with you and at 7pm, just send them off to Kids' Club. All kids programs begins again at 7pm. Only those days with formal nights will the kids program offer supervised dinner for children in the kids' club. My children prefer to eat with us in the dining room.

Since the buffet is opened 24/7, after you pick the kids up at 10pm, just take them downstairs to the buffet area for a late-night dinner or desserts.

Just remember to bring things for the younger children to do while waiting for the food to be served in the international dining room. A surprise activity book, puzzle, or a new book can usually keep the kids occupied while the adults read the menus and wait for the food to be served.

Princess also offers a great kids' menu. Check it out. But kids can order anything on and off the menu. If you can describe it, the waiters/chefs will be happy to accommodate.

Have fun at dinner with everyone. The dining room experience on the Princess is one of major reasons we choose Princess.

That's why we like personal choice dining so much -- on nights that the kids don't want to eat in the dining room, we can let them get pizza or room service or go to the buffet before their evening activities start; then my wife and I can enjoy a more leisurely dinner on our own. On the evenings they choose to eat with us, we can all eat together early, before the crowds, and be done in time to get them to their programs.

IF they are well behaved and can sit thru a 2 and a half hour dinner that is the thing.

Dinner does not take 2 1/2 hours!

We were on RC's Navigator of the Seas with our 8 grandchildren (parents included) ranging from 18 months to 13. Dinner was no problem. If your booking numbers are all connected (i.e. you are shown as traveling in a group) you will be seated at adjacent tables.

A suggestion is to contact the dining coordinator for your ship at Princess. Verify that you will be seated at adjacent tables and request that you have the same wait staff at both tables. This will allow you to switch tables each night without confusing the wait staff. It also will making tipping easier.

Also, I believe the kids can arrive late for the kids program.

Have a great time.

so if you are eating at 6pm (first seating), you are likely done by 8pm and the kids can go to kids' club then. Our kids didn't really go to kids club after dinner because they usually follow us to one of the shows or hang out and relax in our cabin. We have younger children, so they are usually tired by 9pm.

Although dinners do not take 2.5 hours, but it does take longer than most kids are used to unless you have taken them to 3*-4* restaurants often at home. If your kids are used to Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory, or Denny's, then there is quite a bit of wait between the first dish and the last is served. But if your child do well normally when you eat out in restaurants, then he/she should be fine at Princess dinners.

I believe your youngest, the 7YO will do OK, if you explain what to expect during dinner time. Our oldest was 5, so we needed lots of activities (we brought a portable DVD player) during dinner so the kids will stay put. Our 5YO was pretty done with her meal after she had the soup and appetizers. She had to wait for the adults to finish the main course before she gets her dessert. So that's at least 1/2 hour. Reading the menu is always fun, so you can incorporate that into one of the dinner activities.

You know your child best. Prepare your yournger children so they know what to expect. If you think your child will be bored during dinner, bring something for them to do while waiting for the adults to finish dinner....in peace.

BTW, I do prefer PC dining rather than fixed seating dining.

Our waiters have always been very accomodating. Typically our son, who was four years old on our last cruise, would not order all the courses that comprise the adult meal. While we were doing our app, soup and salad Timmy would have his entree. While we had our entree, Timmy had his dessert. By the time our son finished dessert it would be time for the kids program, so DH or I would take him up to the kids room, while the remaining parent ordered dessert and coffee. By the time we had him dropped off and were back to the table we could enjoy a leisurely dessert and coffee.....

Our son really enjoys eating in the dining room. He knows what is expected of him and relishes in the attention the wait folks give him. He has always exceeded our expectations and I like the fact that he has an opportunity to learn the art of fine dining. You will have a great time!!

This is exactly what we have done - and it works great! We have also travelled with big family groups and the kids are part of the family. Even if they try some extra courses and some new things, it doesn't take them nearly as long to eat. And the staff is more than willing to bring their food when they are ready for it if you ask them. They also don't have to up to the evening children's program on the dot of 7:00 - at least they haven't on other lines we have cruised.

I saw in other posts that the children have their own eating times? Do they dine seperate from us? Can they join us in the dining room? Does the 6pm fixed seating conflict with childrens programs?

Your help is appreciatied.

Elaine

If you get fixed early enough, you won't have children. We had our dog fixed for that very reason.

Archived