Alaska in June jacket ?

blum74

I'm going to Alaska in June. What should we take for jackets?

Depending on where you will be in Alaska it can be anywhere from warm to very cool. Layering is your best bet. We took sweatshirts and wore fleece jackets over them when we needed to. On the ship, the coldest day by far was in Glacier Bay. Feels like an icebox. I would suggest gloves as well. Have a wonderful time!

As said, we each took a fleece jacket' a fleece vest and make sure you have something like a rain poncho that can be layered over the top. For us the land portion of the trip inland was warmer and Glacier Bay was the coldest. And there are great prices on fleece and jackets in the ports...leave some room in your luggage for new things...we love the outerwear we bought in Alaska!

And don't forget gloves, a knit hat and possibly ear muffs!

Layers work well as weather is so changeable. Agree with light rain jacket, fleece jacket and fleece vest along with long sleeve tshirt works. For us the day in Glacier Bay started out cool, but by afternoon we had shed all layers down to our tshirts.

As said, we each took a fleece jacket' a fleece vest and make sure you have something like a rain poncho that can be layered over the top. For us the land portion of the trip inland was warmer and Glacier Bay was the coldest. And there are great prices on fleece and jackets in the ports...leave some room in your luggage for new things...we love the outerwear we bought in Alaska!

And don't forget gloves, a knit hat and possibly ear muffs!

Yes, layers, hat, gloves, and rain gear are all essential. The rain gear can be useful on shore excursions on rainy days. It can rain like crazy in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Whittier. Having said this, it could also be nice, but be prepared.

You will be glad!

Enjoy!

IMO rain jacket is the most important it rains a lot in Alaska. It can also be beautiful when you leave the ship and rain later in the day. Surprisingly Glacier Bay was our warmest day. The sun was shining brightly off the glaciers and it actually was quite warm sitting on our balcony. Warm enough to shed the layers down to a tshirt. So you never know what it is going to be like. Just go prepared. It was one trip that I was happy I packed so much :)

WATERPROOF jacket - please notice caps! my husband had THE best jacket of our entire group! Columbia 3 in 1 Bugaboo jacket. Zip out liner , hood and it kept him dry when the rest of us were miserable! I have since bought one for me! These are great for travel anywhere! I cannot stress enough the need for layers!

And a rain shield,for your camera or be sure to wipe dry the zoom lense before you close it up. Our camera didn't survive the trip last year . . . It rained 13 of the 14 days (August) and we spent hours on the deck taking pictures and were not diligent with wiping the extension on the zoom before closing the camera - it literally burn't out! Expensive lesson.

I live in California, so I don't even own anything heavier than a fleece jacket, LL Bean that is reversible. When I cruised to Alaska, that is what I brought. I also brought a knit hat, gloves and a scarf which I wore around the glaciers. I also brought a rain poncho and wore that several times while in the ports as it often rains during the summer in Alaska. As far as other clothing, think layers with jeans, t-shirts, a sweat shirt and sturdy shoes.

When we were there at the end of May/beginning of June we wore a wide range of clothes. Short sleeves and jeans in Skagway, but coats and hats in Glacier Bay. I wore a coat from Land's End that worked really well: the outside layer was very waterproof, then there was a faux-down inner jacket that zipped out. You could wear just the waterproof layer, the inner jacket, or both together. I think it was rated to minus ten degrees fahrenheit with both layers together. To pack our coats, I used one of the air-excluding bags, which made then much smaller.

This will be our fourth trip to Alaska and third time in June. My advice is don't over do it.

You are not going to the Arctic, so no need for the parka! I would never describe the cold as being "freezing", just a little brisk is the best way to view it. As mentioned, layers are important, but don't over do it. Sweaters and sweatshirts will usually do it, as will an REI waterproof windbreaker (which easily packs into your backpack when it warms up).

June can be some of the best weather of the year. You will start the day with a sweater and be wearing shorts by the afternoon. For rain, we carry those $1 emergency rain pancho's which are easy to put in a backpack or a purse (we have never used ours). Decent shoes are important, but you do not need rain/snow boots. We usually take decent walking shoes and we are good.

When in either Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay, Princess always brings out these great wool blankets and hot drinks to help keep you warm.

If things get really weird as far as weather, they sell these great jackets for like $20 in each of the ports which make a great take home gift.

Happy Cruising:D:D

Echo a lot of what's been said already. Our Alaska cruise was first week of June 3 years ago. We experienced a hot sunny heat wave with temps in Ketchikan over 80 (unusual). The next morning it was near 40 as we arrived in Juneau, then warmed up a lot - another sunny day. Same chilly temp the next morning in Skagway, but on our excursion in the Yukon, it was over 90 that afternoon. It was dry heat, so it felt like Las Vegas. Then the day after that in Glacier Bay it was chilly when the ship approached the glaciers, but after we left the glacier area that afternoon I was comfortable in a t-shirt on the pool deck.

Bottom line - Be ready for anything from chilly upper 30s (dry or rainy) to warm and sunny. Light layers work best. But you won't need heavy thick coats - it won't be sub-freezing.

Bring a lightweight backpack (I think we picked one up at Walmart for $5 - $10) to keep your layers in as it warms up/stops raining.

We wore walking shoes that I waterproofed before the trip.

Archived