Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

Post trip feedback:

Silja departs at 5 and Viking at 5:30 (last check-in 4:30 for Silja and 5:15 for Viking)

My plane landed at 3:25. Was at 615 bus stop at 3:55 (in spite of stupid long walk on outer perimeter of airport terminal). Was at Railway station at 4:30. Could have mad Viking but played it safe and instead took Europa to Talinn . Was at their checkin (using tram 9) at 4:50 and had to wait until 5:15 when they start boarding.

Next day, going from West harbor to Viking terminal was pain (took almost an hour with no convenient transfer point between tram 9 and tram 4/4T)

Walking from tram 4 was bit inconvenient with luggage. Should have waited 7 more minutes for tram 4T. Thought of switching to tram 2 and then to 4T to avoid rolling bags for quarter mile or so but trams were crowded and hence avoided double transfer.

Thanks for all the info. It was very helpful.

(BTW, tram 2/3 are not doing figure 8 loop as there is construction going on near Olympia harbor)

Good to hear it worked out!

An hour from West Terminal to Katajanokka Terminal sounds bad. It should go in under 40 minutes even with the transfer between 9 and 4/4T not being the easiest as you will have to walk about 300 m no matter between which two stops around their intersection you decide to transfer. I am also sorry that I had the wrong distance from the Vyökatu stop on 4 to the Viking terminal. That one is also about 300 m not 150. I still think that if your luggage has wheels or you have fairly little of it, it is faster to take the 4 than wait for the 4T. Also probably less people heading for the ship and hence more space.

Good to hear it worked out!

An hour from West Terminal to Katajanokka Terminal sounds bad. It should go in under 40 minutes even with the transfer between 9 and 4/4T not being the easiest as you will have to walk about 300 m no matter between which two stops around their intersection you decide to transfer. I am also sorry that I had the wrong distance from the Vyökatu stop on 4 to the Viking terminal. That one is also about 300 m not 150. I still think that if your luggage has wheels or you have fairly little of it, it is faster to take the 4 than wait for the 4T. Also probably less people heading for the ship and hence more space.

Did notice one thing:

All European luggage have very sturdy wheels compared to what we typically buy here in US (we can of course buy more expensive bags with sturdier wheels but seems that Euopean luggage is meant for rolling while US luggage is more for occasional roll on smooth airport flooring)

Anyway, Finland is the last place you should think about buying anything. Cant believe I paid USD 15 for a Helsinki coffee mug!!

BTW, want to make sure that I do not convey any negative vibes.

Contrary to stereotypes I was told, I found Finn people extremely nice, polite and very helpful 100% of the time. It was easier for younger generation to converse in English but they all did their best effort to help.

Helsinki is compact, well served by public transport (from tourist point of view) and prefect as cruise stop of 6-8 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

The tram route diversions around the Olympia Terminal have been extended until June 15th as the road work is taking longer than expected. The diversion routes and timetables can still be found in the original document: https://www.hsl.fi/en/traffic-bulletins/2014/tram-routes-1-2-and-3-diverted-5-may-1-june-4705. The article containing the info about the delay: https://www.hsl.fi/en/news/2014/allow-extra-time-if-traveling-olympia-terminal-4759

Edited by Jonza

BTW, want to make sure that I do not convey any negative vibes.

Contrary to stereotypes I was told, I found Finn people extremely nice, polite and very helpful 100% of the time. It was easier for younger generation to converse in English but they all did their best effort to help.

Helsinki is compact, well served by public transport (from tourist point of view) and prefect as cruise stop of 6-8 hours.

Not sure about stereotypes of Finns, but the one who plays goalie for the Boston Bruins (Tuukka Rask) and the Finnish Olympic team speaks English with hardly an accent, is bright, and seems like a fun guy. Looking forward to our day in Helsinki and have contracted a local to do a private tram tour for six in our group and he has been nothing but helpful.

I will be in Helisinki July 17, 2014 Pacific Coast 08-13 stop West Harbour

given the short time available, could you recommend a route and the bus or tram to take, the type of ticket, etc.

we will be 4 adults and 2 children aged 6 and 9 years

thanks

I will be in Helisinki July 17, 2014 Pacific Coast 08-13 stop West Harbour

given the short time available, could you recommend a route and the bus or tram to take, the type of ticket, etc.

we will be 4 adults and 2 children aged 6 and 9 years

thanks

To recommend a route would need some info on what you want to see and do. Costa Pacifica is scheduled to dock at berth LMA. The closest public transport options to LMA are tram 9 at the West Terminal and 8 at Saukonpaasi. Both are about a 600 meter walk from the LMA berth. The walking route to the tram 9 stop is marked on the ground by a green line. The route to the line 8 stop is also fairly easy. Both walks are very uninteresting as the area is a huge construction zone of a former freight harbor being turned into a part of the city.

Tram 9 takes you downtown to Central Railway Station, which is about 600 meters from the main tourist area around Senate Square and Market Square. You could also transfer to tram 2 which will take you right into the area.

Tram 8 would take you directly to the Rock Church closest stop being about 400 meters from the church. Tram 2 runs from the Rock Church to the Market Square.

In addition to public transport hop-on hop-off buses do run to the ship. Also there may be a cruise line provided shuttle.

Ticket prices as well as more route information can be found at the transport authority website: https://www.hsl.fi/en/tickets-and-fares Children under the age of 7 travel for free on public transport.

To recommend a route would need some info on what you want to see and do. Costa Pacifica is scheduled to dock at berth LMA. The closest public transport options to LMA are tram 9 at the West Terminal and 8 at Saukonpaasi. Both are about a 600 meter walk from the LMA berth. The walking route to the tram 9 stop is marked on the ground by a green line. The route to the line 8 stop is also fairly easy. Both walks are very uninteresting as the area is a huge construction zone of a former freight harbor being turned into a part of the city.

Tram 9 takes you downtown to Central Railway Station, which is about 600 meters from the main tourist area around Senate Square and Market Square. You could also transfer to tram 2 which will take you right into the area.

Tram 8 would take you directly to the Rock Church closest stop being about 400 meters from the church. Tram 2 runs from the Rock Church to the Market Square.

In addition to public transport hop-on hop-off buses do run to the ship. Also there may be a cruise line provided shuttle.

Ticket prices as well as more route information can be found at the transport authority website: https://www.hsl.fi/en/tickets-and-fares Children under the age of 7 travel for free on public transport.

I have no idea on what to see in Helsinki

you could advise me what to do and how to do it on time to stop 08-13

please

Hi everyone!

If you have any questions about Helsinki (and/or Finland), I'll be more than happy to help!

Lived here for 11 years so I consider myself an expert :D

Is the Design Area in a specific section of Helsinki? How would we get there from the port(West Harbor)>

Thank you

Carole

Does the Helsinki City Hall offer tours of the building and chambers? When we were in Glasgow, Scotland we took in a free tour of their City Hall. very beautiful building and very informative. Thanks,

Kevin

please

Check out what others have done and pick what interests you. Depending on weather you would like to try to hit as many spots as possible or just relax and stroll around the perfect plan would be completely different. You want to get to the area aroundMarket Square, Esplanade, and Senate Square. You might also do the Church of the Rock and/or Suomenlinna sea fortress (ferry from Market Square).

Is the Design Area in a specific section of Helsinki? How would we get there from the port(West Harbor)>

Thank you

Carole

There is the Desing District which is a marketing collaboration between many stores and other establishments featuring Finnish design. The Eclipse will be at berth LMA which is on the Jätkäsaari side of the West Harbor. Tram #9 will you get to the northern edge of the area. You can find more info and the map of the Desing District here: http://www.designdistrict.fi/map and all public transport info at https://www.hsl.fi/en

Does the Helsinki City Hall offer tours of the building and chambers? When we were in Glasgow, Scotland we took in a free tour of their City Hall. very beautiful building and very informative. Thanks,

Kevin

Not any that I could find. The lobby and some other areas are open to the public and there is also a free gallery inside.

My family will be arriving in Helsinki Saturday 6/21 at 7am on the NCL Star at West Terminal berth LMA. I would like some advice for transit options for the following activities.

- How to get from the Terminal to Rock Church.

- Confirm best way to get from Rock Church to Market Square is tram 2.

- Confirm that ferry to Suemellina fortress takes off from Market Square. (5 Eu ticket. Or is this covered in the all day transit ticket?)

- How to get from Market Square back to West Terminal.

- How to get from the Terminal to Rock Church.

If you plan to use local transport then its tram 9. Exit at stop "Kamppi". Go up to the corner and turn left. You'll be able to see the church on the hill at the end of the street (Fredrik street), 650 yards away. A bit further on the way on right side of the street is a stop for tram "2" and still a bit further on a stop for buses 14, 18 or 39. One can use them, getting off at the next stop, to get marginally closer to the church if the tram and bus happen to pass by but in my mind its not worth waiting for them.

- Confirm best way to get from Rock Church to Market Square is tram 2.

Correct. Downhill from the church along Fredrik street, then turn to the right at Arkadia street and the tram stop is at the end of the block , opposite side of the street.

- Confirm that ferry to Suomenlinna fortress takes off from Market Square. (5 Eu ticket. Or is this covered in the all day transit ticket?)

Yes, ferry is at the east side of the Market Square (the side closest to the red cathedral) and it is included in a one day local transport ticket. There are also boats going from the west side of the Market Square but you need separate tickets for those.

- How to get from Market Square back to West Terminal.

Tram 9 again. I recommend going through downtown to the railway station (1000 yards walk or take tram 2) and take tram 9 from there (The platform closer to the railway station).

Edited by Ultima Thule

If you plan to use local transport then its tram 9. Exit at stop "Kamppi". Go up to the corner and turn left. You'll be able to see the church on the hill at the end of the street (Fredrik street), 650 yards away. A bit further on the way on right side of the street is a stop for tram "2" and still a bit further on a stop for buses 14, 18 or 39. One can use them, getting off at the next stop, to get marginally closer to the church if the tram and bus happen to pass by but in my mind its not worth waiting for them.

Correct. Downhill from the church along Fredrik street, then turn to the right at Arkadia street and the tram stop is at the end of the block , opposite side of the street.

Yes, ferry is at the east side of the Market Square (the side closest to the red cathedral) and it is included in a one day local transport ticket. There are also boats going from the west side of the Market Square but you need separate tickets for those.

Tram 9 again. I recommend going through downtown to the railway station (1000 yards walk or take tram 2) and take tram 9 from there (The platform closer to the railway station).

Additional note: 6/21 is Midsummer Day. Nearly all stores will be closed and many attractions have limited opening hours.

Public transit schedules are not out yet, but last year all lines started running Sunday service at 11am. Tram #9 and the Suomenlinna ferry did run all day last year and based on the journey planner are expected to do so also this year.

And one correction: the tram #9 stop for Church of the Rock is named "Kampintori". Line 9 does not have a stop named Kamppi.

Edited by Jonza

Check out what others have done and pick what interests you. Depending on weather you would like to try to hit as many spots as possible or just relax and stroll around the perfect plan would be completely different. You want to get to the area aroundMarket Square, Esplanade, and Senate Square. You might also do the Church of the Rock and/or Suomenlinna sea fortress (ferry from Market Square).

There is the Desing District which is a marketing collaboration between many stores and other establishments featuring Finnish design. The Eclipse will be at berth LMA which is on the Jätkäsaari side of the West Harbor. Tram #9 will you get to the northern edge of the area. You can find more info and the map of the Desing District here: http://www.designdistrict.fi/map and all public transport info at https://www.hsl.fi/en

Not any that I could find. The lobby and some other areas are open to the public and there is also a free gallery inside.

Thanks for checking. I appreciate you taking the time to answer our many questions.

Kevin

Very odd question here. We are heading to the Baltics in July 2015 with our then 9 and 11 year old sons. My youngest is obsessed with going to Finland, but in particular with Finnish hockey. Obviously I don't expect any games to be on in July, but are there any arenas that are nearby to some of the sites that might be open? Also, anywhere you could recommend to purchase kid size Finnish hockey jerseys?

Thanks!

please

If you read thru this thread, you will have many, many ideas of what to see in Helsinki. Not to sound different, but Helsinki sights aren't the 'old European' as some of the other cities. We found Helsinki to be almost a more modern city than some of your other stops. Not that that is a bad thing.

You need to get to Market Square to start your visit to Helsinki. Spend some time browsing among the many vendors there, chatting with them and discovering many things about Finland you probably didn't know. From there most of the main attractions are a short walk in several directions. Senate Square and the Helsinki Lutheran Church are one way, back to Market square and visit the Upensky Cathedral a few blocks in a different direction. Take the ferry to the Suomenlinna sea fortress is a block or two off Market Square. Even take a stroll thru the Esplanade, again off Market square. The main sight that is not in the vicinity of Market square is the Church in the Rock. For that you need a tram. Market square is also a great place to have some lunch, with amazing foo0d prepared on these huge grills and very reasonable. (Try the reindeer).

Everything starts at Market Square. A great place to buy local wares or souvenirs

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1150.jpg

Market square is also a great place to eat, with food prepared on huge grills

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1147.jpg

A short video of the Church in the Rock

http://s834.photobucket.com/user/Giantfan13/media/baltics/europemaster1163.mp4.html

We took the ferry to the Fortress, but it really wasn't our thing, so took the next ferry back. very enjoyable ride and great views of Helsinki from the water

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1121.jpg

Helsinki Lutheran Church in Senate square

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1062.jpg

Upensky Cathedral, again a short walk from Market Square

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1135.jpg

Cheers

Len

Very odd question here. We are heading to the Baltics in July 2015 with our then 9 and 11 year old sons. My youngest is obsessed with going to Finland, but in particular with Finnish hockey. Obviously I don't expect any games to be on in July, but are there any arenas that are nearby to some of the sites that might be open? Also, anywhere you could recommend to purchase kid size Finnish hockey jerseys?

Thanks!

There are no games is July. Three national level teams play in the Helsinki area. Jokerit and HIFK in Helsinki and Blues in Espoo. Next season Jokerit will be playing in KHL instead of the national league.

The HIFK arena Old Helsinki Ice Hall is closest to downtown. Trams 2 and 7 travel by it. The nearest stop is Kansaneläkelaitos. There is a fan store open 10am-4pm Mon-Fri.

Jokerit plays at Hartwall Arena a little further north. Hartwall arena is reached by taking any commuter train from the central station to the next stop (Pasila) and walking about 800 meters. The arena service center sells team merchandize 10am-4pm on weekdays.

Some Jokerit and HIFK merchandize are also sold at Stockmann department store at the corner of the Esplanade and Mannerheimintie. The Blues arena is probably too far away in Espoo and only served by bus.

We will be on a ship excursion that will allow us to remain downtown and take a shuttle back to the ship. Is market square near downtown?

Depends on what's called downtown. The classic one around the cathedral is just one block away from the market, the commercial center is about 600 yards away.

Take a look at this map. You'll dock at #4. The shuttle will probably start from whats called main shopping area on the map.

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/international_cruise