Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

The Green and Red buses are different from the tram, isn't it?

Yes, the ho-ho buses are run by private companies while the tram is a normal part of the public transport net.

How and where do I buy the tram tickets, does it need to be done in advance, can I pay by credit card?

You can buy a ticket from the tram driver, 3 euro, cash only, 20 euro bills or smaller accepted.

Or you can buy a tram ticket (not accepted on buses or subway) from a ticket machine or a kiosk for 2.20 euro, or buy a one day ticket (tram, bus, subway) for 8 euro. Don't know exactly what credit cards are accepted.

Sales points.

https://www.hsl.fi/en/tickets-and-fares/sales-points

you can buy a tram ticket from a ticket machine. Don't know exactly what credit cards are accepted.

I checked out a ticket machine. You need to have a credit card with a chip.

So if you really don't want to use cash and don't have a chip card, I recommend you visit the public transport (HSL) info point. Don't know exactly where the shuttle bus will stop in downtown but it should not be more than 2 or 3 blocks away. Go to the railway station, enter the covered escalator entrance in the southwest street corner in front of the railway station (not the one next to the station building but the one closer to the street corner) The HSL info point is immediately at the bottom of the escalator on the right side next to the flower shop.

Escalator entrance looks like this:

https://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.170635,24.940204&spn=0.002532,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.170471,24.940278&panoid=p4R5hqp5nLMxaMkPfN2bfA&cbp=12,11.47,,0,8.89

Edited by Ultima Thule

I checked out a ticket machine. You need to have a credit card with a chip.

So if you really don't want to use cash and don't have a chip card, I recommend you visit the public transport (HSL) info point. Don't know exactly where the shuttle bus will stop in downtown but it should not be more than 2 or 3 blocks away. Go to the railway station, enter the covered escalator entrance in the southwest street corner in front of the railway station (not the one next to the station building but the one closer to the street corner) The HSL info point is immediately at the bottom of the escalator on the right side next to the flower shop.

Escalator entrance looks like this:

https://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.170635,24.940204&spn=0.002532,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.170471,24.940278&panoid=p4R5hqp5nLMxaMkPfN2bfA&cbp=12,11.47,,0,8.89

Thanks a lot Ultima, we should have cash to buy the tram tickets, wasn't sure how expensive they would be. I think the Celebrity shuttle brings you somewhere near Market Square, so we should be good, thanks again:)

• 1 month later...

Well good thing I bumped into this thread because I thought I had a plan using Rick Steves but I see routes are different now.

So we will arrive on Sunday May 10 to LHC / Hernesaari. We think we want to do public transportation. Please help us plan - we mainly want to get into town, visit the Rock Church (since it is Sunday, will that affect being able to enter?), then go over to the Market for nibbles (again, Sunday - will stalls be open?) then back to the port.

From port to town bus 14? buy ticket on bus? switch to bus / tram? Is there still the bus #2 / #3 looping around to take us to the market? and then we need to get back to the port - where do we find bus #14 again?

We don't mind walking if the weather is nice but I'm pretty vague on the distances involved here. I would much appreciate your input / tweaking of our plans. THANKS!

Well good thing I bumped into this thread because I thought I had a plan using Rick Steves but I see routes are different now.

So we will arrive on Sunday May 10 to LHC / Hernesaari. We think we want to do public transportation. Please help us plan - we mainly want to get into town, visit the Rock Church (since it is Sunday, will that affect being able to enter?), then go over to the Market for nibbles (again, Sunday - will stalls be open?) then back to the port.

From port to town bus 14? buy ticket on bus? switch to bus / tram? Is there still the bus #2 / #3 looping around to take us to the market? and then we need to get back to the port - where do we find bus #14 again?

We don't mind walking if the weather is nice but I'm pretty vague on the distances involved here. I would much appreciate your input / tweaking of our plans. THANKS!

We also have a very similar plan for Helsinki, we get there on May 30 and want to take Celebrity's shuttle into town, though now am wondering if the #14 bus mightn't be cheaper and serve the same purpose:D Will the 6 euros one day ticket be good for both bus and tram, if so that should be ideal.

We also want to see the Sibellius monument, will the #2 tram take us there also? If the weather is good we may take the Suomenlinna ferry, will see how it goes. Thanks Ultima:)

BTW suec, understand its quite a long walk from the docks to Market Square, so the bus or shuttle would be best.

So we will arrive on Sunday May 10 to LHC / Hernesaari. We mainly want to get into town, visit the Rock Church (since it is Sunday, will that affect being able to enter?), Then go over to the Market for nibbles (again, Sunday - will stalls be open?)

First, May 10th is Mothers Day so be prepared that the departments stores and other major stores will be closed.

Rock church is open according to activities. (listen to the bulletin tel. +358 (0)9 2340 5940.)

Market will be open. (The Sunday stalls will be a bit different from those on working days).

Generally speaking bus 14 will go from the harbour into town and then north through the west side of the city, that's three blocks (0.3 miles) from what could be considered the city center and 0.6 miles from the market. The bus however will pass quite close to the rock church. The way from the quay to the rock church is about 2 miles. The name of the bus stop near the Rock Church is "Kauppakorkeakoulut". From the bus stop walk half a block back and then a long block uphill to reach the Rock Church.

http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?x=2554247&y=6674106.5&mapview=map&zoom=3&line=1014++1,1014++2

From the Rock Church you could either walk through the town center to the market (1,1 miles) or take the #2 tram.

http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1002%20%201,1002%20%202

Getting back to the #14 bus, there are several options . Note that the bus takes a slightly different route back towards the harbour (light blue on the map). You could either take the #2 tram back to the Rock Church or continue in the other direction. The tram will change its number to #3.

You could then get of the tram at stop "Eiraan sairaala" and the bus stop will be across the corner near the church. https://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.157992,24.940204&spn=0.002533,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.158004,24.940467&panoid=K5RfK5VnwhppOhi5E0jtIQ&cbp=12,299.18,,0,-6.61

Tram 3 route:

http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?x=2552299.2145499&y=6672194.3581995&mapview=map&zoom=6&line=1003++1,1003++2

Or then you like to walk a bit you could take a trip from the market along the Esplanade and Boulevard to the corner Boulevard/Albert Street where you'll find a bus stop (0.75 miles).

Single tickets now costs 3 Euro from the driver. A one day ticket costs 8 Euro.

Hope that helped a bit.

We also have a very similar plan for Helsinki, we get there on May 30 and want to take Celebrity's shuttle into town, though now am wondering if the #14 bus mightn't be cheaper and serve the same purpose:D Will the 6 euros one day ticket be good for both bus and tram, if so that should be ideal.

We also want to see the Sibellius monument, will the #2 tram take us there also? If the weather is good we may take the Suomenlinna ferry, will see how it goes.

BTW suec, understand its quite a long walk from the docks to Market Square, so the bus or shuttle would be best.

You will dock at quay LMA on the other side of the bay so bus 14 is not an option in this case. It is 2 miles to the market so I think a shuttle bus would be best here. Tram 9 is an option but that one is often filled to capacity from the nearby ferries.

The Sibelius monument is reachable from tram 2, 0.4 miles walk from stop "Töölön Halli". Bus 24 from town center will pass near the monument but its quite a long interval between the buses.

Edited by Ultima Thule

• 1 month later...

We are arriving in Helsinki on June 17 on the Disney Magic, docking at Hernesaari, I believe. I don't know if they will have a shuttle or not. We are only in port from noon until 1745. Do you think that's enough time to get to Suomenlinna and back using public transportation? Between reading the old info in the Rick Steves' book and the new info on here, my head is spinning. I think we need to get to market square to catch the ferry to the island and it doesn't seem like anything goes directly there from the port.

Is there still a TI branch at the port itself like Rick says?

Hello Ultima Thule,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions about Helsinki. :)

We are scheduled to dock (Regal Princess) at the West Harbor on June 1st from 7:00 to 4:00 and here is our plan:

- Visit Seurasaari Open-Air Museum

- Market Square

- If time permits take a ride on Tram 2/3 to see the city

I google the transportations and would like to confirm if they are correct or if you will suggest a better route for our journey.

1. West Harbour to Open Air Museum:

From West Harbour walk towards to Saukonpaasi and take Tram 8 towards Arabia, then get off at Perhonkatu. Take Bus 24 at Valnamoisenkatu towards Seurasaari -> then a 10 mins walk to the open air museum.

2. Open Air Museum to Market Square

About 20 mins walk from Seurasaari to Meilahdentie, take tram 4 towards Katajanokka, get off at Ritarihuone -> then a 5 mins walk to Market Square

3. Market Square to West Harbour

Take bus 20 from Erottaja towards Lauttasaari, get off from Lansisatamankatu and walk about 10 mins to West Harbour

Many Many Many thanks,

Helena :)

I apologize if this question has already been answered...is the tram/bus ticket valid for a period of time (ie 1 or 2 hours from the purchase time), or just valid for the specific trip? For example, can I buy a tram ticket and travel, get off and sight see, then get back on using the same ticket within a specific time period?

Thanks!

You seem to have done a lot of research. The routes should work.

1. West Harbour to Open Air Museum:

From West Harbour walk towards to Saukonpaasi and take Tram 8 towards Arabia, then get off at Perhonkatu. Take Bus 24 at Valnamoisenkatu towards Seurasaari -> then a 10 mins walk to the open air museum.

Note that the section from the quay to Saukonpaasi is very much under developement. So be prepared its just a tarmac road across an open field.

2. Open Air Museum to Market Square

About 20 mins walk from Seurasaari to Meilahdentie, take tram 4 towards Katajanokka, get off at Ritarihuone -> then a 5 mins walk to Market Square

Should be ok even if I don't think I have ever walked that particular route myself. Another option would be to take bus 24 back towards downtown, get off at Kajanuksenkatu and then walk a few blocks to the tram 4 stop on Mannerheim road but perhaps that will not fit with your timetable as it is 20 minutes between the buses?

3. Market Square to West Harbour

Take bus 20 from Erottaja towards Lauttasaari, get off from Lansisatamankatu and walk about 10 mins to West Harbour

Personally I should walk to the railway station instead and take tram 9 to the harbour, thus avoiding the route I mention in point 1.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Personally I should walk to the railway station instead and take tram 9 to the harbour, thus avoiding the route I mention in point 1.

Thank you for getting back to us so quickly. :) I'll definitely look into alternate option recommended.

Cheers,

Helena

I apologize if this question has already been answered...is the tram/bus ticket valid for a period of time (ie 1 or 2 hours from the purchase time), or just valid for the specific trip? For example, can I buy a tram ticket and travel, get off and sight see, then get back on using the same ticket within a specific time period?

Thanks!

Tickets purchased from ticket machines and on board are valid from the moment of purchase. The expiry time is printed on the ticket.

You can transfer from one vehicle to another within the validity of your ticket. You must get on a bus, tram or train before the expiry time of your ticket, but you can complete your journey even after your ticket has expired.

Helsinki internal single tickets are valid for 60 minutes. On some bus routes such as eastern Metro feeder services and northeastern feeder services, single tickets purchased from drivers are valid for 20 minutes longer.

https://www.hsl.fi/en/tickets-and-fares/single-ticket

We are arriving in Helsinki on June 17 on the Disney Magic, docking at Hernesaari, I believe. I don't know if they will have a shuttle or not. We are only in port from noon until 1745. Do you think that's enough time to get to Suomenlinna and back using public transportation? Between reading the old info in the Rick Steves' book and the new info on here, my head is spinning. I think we need to get to market square to catch the ferry to the island and it doesn't seem like anything goes directly there from the port.

Yes, West Harbour (Hernesaari) quay LHC and there is no public transport that goes straight to the market anymore.

If you want to take public transport its best to take bus 14, getting off at "Tehtaanpuisto" and changing there to tram 3 to the market, exiting at tram stop "Kauppatori". Tram will change number to #2 during the way - good to know if you want to take the same route back. But beware that there might be queues to the ferry in June-July it the weather is good.

Is there still a TI branch at the port itself like Rick says?

Not sure if I understand the question correctly but if it is about the huge computer etc. store in West Harbour then it not on the Hernesaari side but on the other side of the bay.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Hi everyone!

If you have any questions about Helsinki (and/or Finland), I'll be more than happy to help!

Lived here for 11 years so I consider myself an expert :D

I saw that any fees are in Euros. Do the merchants take USD or am I better off exchanging USD for Euros before we get to Helsinki and if so do you have any suggestions on how much we might need? We will do our own walking tour.

Thank you.

Tickets purchased from ticket machines and on board are valid from the moment of purchase. The expiry time is printed on the ticket.

You can transfer from one vehicle to another within the validity of your ticket. You must get on a bus, tram or train before the expiry time of your ticket, but you can complete your journey even after your ticket has expired.

Helsinki internal single tickets are valid for 60 minutes. On some bus routes such as eastern Metro feeder services and northeastern feeder services, single tickets purchased from drivers are valid for 20 minutes longer.

https://www.hsl.fi/en/tickets-and-fares/single-ticket

Thanks so much, exactly the info I was hoping for!:)

Hi

We are due to dock in Helsinki in a couple of weeks. There seems to be conflicting information in different threads on CC and on some websites regarding tickets and transport facilities in Helsinki.

We are docking at LMA in the West harbour and plan on taking the tram to Temppeliaukio, another to Market square, then the ferry to Suomenlinna.

So, if possible, can someone confirm if the plan below is correct and answer a few queries:

Take tram #9 from the port (Can you buy a day ticket at the port, and is it coins only?)

Change to tram #2 at Simonkatu (which is the best stop for Temppeliaukio ?)

(Does this travel in both directions?)

Take tram #2 from Temppeliaukio to Kauppatori

Also, what is the price of a day ticket and how often do the trams run on these lines?

Thanks for any help :)

Take tram #9 from the port (Can you buy a day ticket at the port, and is it coins only?)

If I remember correctly there should be two ticket machines outside the ferry terminal, next to the tram stop. One is for credit cards with chip, the other ones for notes and coins.

Day tickets cost 8 Euro.

While bus drivers should sell one day tickets I cannot guarantee that you can get them from the tram driver but he will sell single tickets for 3 Euro (only coins and notes of 20 Euro or less accepted).

Change to tram #2 at Simonkatu (which is the best stop for Temppeliaukio ?)

The #2 and 9 trams goes in both directions and the interval should be about 10 minutes for both. There are usually digital boards at the stops showing time in minutes to the next tram.

There are three possibilities here.

1) Getting off at Simonkatu. In this case you should go to the opposite platform and take tram 2 from there. (Note that you will travel 270 meters of the route in both directions i.e. twice, this way). It is then two stops to "Kauppakorkeakoulut" where you get off. Then circle the block either by continuing forward and turning right twice or going the opposite direction and turning left. Walking distance is some 300 meter either way.

2) Get off tram 9 one stop earlier at "Kampintori", walk up to the corner. Turn left and then a bit forward to the tram 2 stop on the right side of the street. Walking distance is 150 meters and then you'll be using tram 2 for just one stop.

3) As in the second case go 150 meters to the tram stop but you'll be able to see the church at the end of the street so rather than messing with trams just continue walking for another 500 meter. The last 200 meter will be uphill walking regardless if you use tram or not.

Take tram #2 from Temppeliaukio to Kauppatori

Be sure to take tram 2 in the opposite direction from the one that took you to the chuch. It's then seven stops (some 2.3 km) to the Market. Exit at stop "Kauppatori". The ferry to the fortress starts at the other end of the Market, 200 meter from the tram stop.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Not sure if I understand the question correctly but if it is about the huge computer etc. store in West Harbour then it not on the Hernesaari side but on the other side of the bay.

Actually, I was wondering whether there is a tourist information branch in the cruise port terminal at Hernesaari. Rick Steves seems to imply that there is one, but i could not find information about it.

And you mentioned that there could be lines for the ferry...that's something I hadn't thought of and hadn't read about! Are these large ferries with a big capacity? Or small boats?

This is making me nervous! I never like to cut it close for time when I'm on a cruise. But I would really like to see the fort.

Also, do you know of any good iPhone Helsinki transportation apps? We have found these types of apps to be lifesavers in cities like Paris and London.

Edited by llqool

Actually, I was wondering whether there is a tourist information branch in the cruise port terminal at Hernesaari. Rick Steves seems to imply that there is one, but i could not find information about it.

The Hernesaari quays as I understand it really don't have much of a terminal. According to http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/international_cruise there are souvenirs, toilets, internet and phone and guide services on the quay.

And you mentioned that there could be lines for the ferry...that's something I hadn't thought of and hadn't read about! Are these large ferries with a big capacity? Or small boats?

The ferries have quite decent capacity and normally it should be no problem. Its just some beautiful days when everyone decide it's time for a picnic that it might become long queues.

Here is the timetable

http://aikataulut.reittiopas.fi/linjat/en/hLautta_Kauppatori.html

And the ferries:

http://www.suomenlinnanliikenne.fi/en/Equipment

So don't worry too much.

Also, do you know of any good iPhone Helsinki transportation apps? We have found these types of apps to be lifesavers in cities like Paris and London.

I don't use that stuff myself so I cannot say whats good and not and it seems most services are just in Finnish so far, but have a look at this page:

https://www.hsl.fi/en/timetables-and-routes/mobile-apps

Edited by Ultima Thule

If I remember correctly there should be two ticket machines outside the ferry terminal, next to the tram stop. One is for credit cards with chip, the other ones for notes and coins.

Day tickets cost 8 Euro.

While bus drivers should sell one day tickets I cannot guarantee that you can get them from the tram driver but he will sell single tickets for 3 Euro (only coins and notes of 20 Euro or less accepted).

The #2 and 9 trams goes in both directions and the interval should be about 10 minutes for both. There are usually digital boards at the stops showing time in minutes to the next tram.

There are three possibilities here.

1) Getting off at Simonkatu. In this case you should go to the opposite platform and take tram 2 from there. (Note that you will travel 270 meters of the route in both directions i.e. twice, this way). It is then two stops to "Kauppakorkeakoulut" where you get off. Then circle the block either by continuing forward and turning right twice or going the opposite direction and turning left. Walking distance is some 300 meter either way.

2) Get off tram 9 one stop earlier at "Kampintori", walk up to the corner. Turn left and then a bit forward to the tram 2 stop on the right side of the street. Walking distance is 150 meters and then you'll be using tram 2 for just one stop.

3) As in the second case go 150 meters to the tram stop but you'll be able to see the church at the end of the street so rather than messing with trams just continue walking for another 500 meter. The last 200 meter will be uphill walking regardless if you use tram or not.

Be sure to take tram 2 in the opposite direction from the one that took you to the chuch. It's then seven stops (some 2.3 km) to the Market. Exit at stop "Kauppatori". The ferry to the fortress starts at the other end of the Market, 200 meter from the tram stop.

Perfect, Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Thanks for all of the great information I have read here.

I am interested in doing a cycling tour while in port and found a company on Trip Advisor called HELtours. They only have four reviews however so I am not sure whether they are just a new company or if anyone who lives in Helsinki has heard of them.

Many thanks.

• 2 months later...

We are a party of 7 traveling in July 2016 and quite honestly...aren't very adventurous regarding public transportation. We usually book a private tour for our group. I was looking at this company:

http://www.kontikifinland.com/helsinkidaytrips

and was wondering if anyone would have any experience with them. The RIB boats look like a lot of fun for the kids and adults! I'm sure we would like to see the fortress as well as spend a tiny bit of time in the market. I'm not sure what else to do with the kids that would be fun and exciting for them, yet something that would let us see the sights or enjoy the culture. The kids are 16, 13 and 8.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, including advice about that specific touring company. Thanks!