Cruising on Weight Watchers...

birdie16

Anyone cruised and actually stayed on their Weight Watcher diet? I usually try to lose about 5 pounds before the cruise to make room for all the food I will eat but this year I am thinking I would like to try and actually eat right on the cruise...and not gain. Anyone actually have success not gaining and still enjoy the cruise?

Many fight the same battle. Opt for the veggies and skip the bread, or take the bread and ship the taters. Many will gain for the week, but when you hit the home base again, it comes off easily once back in the 'normal' routine.

Cruising is a necessary evil. :)

I know what you all mean. I just started LA Weight Loss and I am doing really good so I don't want to gain it back. I plan on visiting the work out facility. Last time we cruised RCCL, I did this and it was so beautiful to look out over the water while I worked out. :)

Hello neighbor :D

I've been on WW for 3 years, made goal in August 2002. To "prep" for our vacations, I too get 5-6 pounds below goal, so I have some breathing room. Last cruise I gained 10 pounds :eek: (was worth it - by the way). I only had about 5 pounds to lose once the vacation was over. I just don't have any willpower while on vacation, but we do avoid the elevator and walk a lot on the ship and in the ports.

Are you doing Core? I think you would do better on core while on vacation, easier to handle.

Good luck to you :D

###

No...not Core, counting points. I think I will check out Core though...maybe that will work. We never take the elevators and I work out each day either by walking on the track or working out in the gym. It just always seems like meal time on a ship! Maybe that's what I like about cruising! LOL!!!

I am also on WW (been sucessful w/points, haven't tried core). Would really appreciate hearing how you make out. My cruise isn't until 6/17. I need to do better this year. Before the week was over on last year's cruise my shorts were too tight!!! I am out on exercise...had emergency surgery on my spine 3 months ago and can't even walk distances yet. Let us know if you are sucessful and give us some hints!! GOOD LUCK!!:)

My meeting leader has! He's discussed a few times(including tonight) strategis for vacationing and being on program. I've decided that I will allow myself to enjoy the cruise experience, and not worry about staying on plan, and get back to it as soon as I get home. It may not work for everyone... but it's how I'm going to try it. heck, maybe because the pressure will be off and there are so many active things I want to do on our cruise, maybe I'll come out even :D

I have already decided that I am not going to stay on my points plan during my vacation. I am doing good with my points and I will get back on track when I get home from my trip. I went to Disneyworld in 2001 and when I weighed in I had actually lost 1.5 pounds. I guess it was all of the walking! Have fun and enjoy your trip!!

I am also on Weight Watchers and find it impossible to stay with it while on vacation but the minute I get home I am back at it. I always gain 5 pounds or so but it comes off in the next week or 2 after I get home. Who can resist the chocolate buffet? I did lose 6 pounds on vacation one year in Mexico but I also got Montezumas revenge ..lol...

I'm doing core - and I figure that I'll do what I can. It's only one week out of my life, and if I gain weight, I'll gain weight. Then as soon as I get back home in a controlled environment, I'll be able to take it back off again.

That being said -- when I'm in the right "mindset", I find my cheating is much less than it would be if I weren't on any kind of program at all :)

Its impossible to do points since you run out by lunchtime. I did lose weight on the last ship. My suggestion is the shipshape menu as much as possible and only three meals. Don't snack unless its healthy. You will feel way better too!! Also, I did go to the gym almost everyday. My main rule is unless its your first cruise then I give you permision to pig out. However, if its your 15th you have done it all so no need to over eat. The same food will be back for your next cruise.

Another WWer here.....I am doing Points.

I've been on WW since 2002, making Lifetime in 2003. It's forever a battle to keep that weight off, but when it comes to vacation I enjoy my vacation. I know, it's not supposed to be about the food.....but in some cases it can be! I plan on exercising in the gym everyday on my cruise... I enjoy working out. Eating, I am NOT going to obsess about it. If I want something I'm going to have it...maybe if it's reeeeally bad, a smaller portion of it. I've learned not to be a glutton on WW and I can be just as happy with a smaller portion than a larger one. When I get back home....it's right back to counting those points.

I learned this lesson last year.....

I went to Florida for the week with the same plan as I have for my cruise. I did great! Even lost 2 pounds! Well..........taking a week off of journaling felt a little "liberating" to me AND I lost weight! Well, I didn't journal when I came home.........and each day that I didn't journal it became harder and harder to get back into it. That was mid-September....I just started journaling again this February. Nearly 20# later....... :rolleyes:

BE CAREFUL! When you get home get right back to it! ;)

I don't stick w/ WW when I am on a cruise, but I think that if you are able to resist temptation you should be able to stay OP during a cruise. Stick with a veggie omelet w/out cheese + fruit for breakfast, go with salads at lunch (even if they're swimming in dressing, at least the veggies are 0 points), and get the "spa" entree and sugar free dessert at dinner. Combine that with no alcohol and (at least if you work at a desk during the week) increased activity, and even if you're not strictly within points you shouldn't gain.

I seem to lose 2 lbs while on my cruises. I take the stairs every time I need to get to someplace (except on formal night-I take the elevator on the way to pictures and if I can handle it, I take the stairs after dinner). You'd be suprised how much exercise that is in a day (and a week!). Just going from deck 1 to the promenade area could wear you out. This has worked for me every time and by the end of the year, I will have been on 9 cruises in 5 years. I have been on WW most of my life and made goal in 2002 (finally!). I think the trick is to go to the buffet, take a small spoon of the things you really crave (i.e. mashed potatoes, macaroni, any high point stuff) and load up on the veggies and little to no point foods. This way, you are not sacraficing anything AND are eating right. I also suggest that you eat all the not so good stuff first (because veggies never look good next to pasta to me!!!) and "reward" yourself with the tastefuls of the good stuff. You will be full from the veggies and low point foods, and may not want what is left on your plate (the high point foods). Either way, the more veggies you consume, the less room there is for other stuff-no matter how hard you try.

I also suggest that you take one day (maybe the last day) and just eat whatever you want. By the end of the cruise, I take my last day to pig out on Ranger cookies (they are my favorite while on RCCL) and french fries. I don't eat too many (even though I used the word pig out) because I am tired from all the stair walking and from all the veggie eating from alll week.

Lastly, if you are a cookie fan like I am, take one or two with you and if you really crave more, make yourself take the stairs to get them. If you really want them, no number of stairs will stop you AND you may work off a bite of the cookie on the way to get it!!

Have a great trip and taste it all!!!! (I think there is a book out about moderation and its by a French woman-something like French women don't get fat. It talks about tasting everyting to trick yourself into thinking that you ate whatever it is you wanted while eating in moderation. Something about taking 3 bites and moving on.)

Good luck!

I have never been strong enough to resist all the goodies, but I had a friend who did lose by doing pretty much what WendyinOC recommended. She walked every morning, and stuck to the ship shape choices for the most part. I think I picked up what she left behind. :o She had a good story to share at weigh in, and I think I took a pass that week.

Good luck! It can be done.

I'm on WW too, and am leaving this Friday!! I plan on ordering (which is my favorite anyway), egg white omelettes with lots of onion and mushroom for breakfast. I don't think the meals are going to get to me (I love any kind of fish), but those pina coladas are sure gonna eat (or should I say drink??) up those points in a hurry!! Good thing too is that I've saved all my flex points....I leave on Friday, and will have my 35 points for Friday and Saturday, then Sunday is the start of my week, so I can use all my next week's points on Sunday, and Monday when we return I'll get right back on program....I'm just 1.5 pounds away from 10%, and don't want to totally blow it!

Michele

Thanks everyone...it really feels good knowing there are so many of us WW'er's on the ship! I like the idea about tasting everything and eating lots of veggies. On formal night I usually have two orders of escargot...this time I am going to try and only have one. I forgot about the flex points too, I will have those, won't I? I am not going to count points...going to take a vacation from that.

Stairs...stairs...everywhere there will be stairs! LOL!!!

I am a WW lifetime member that's "been there, done that" so many times I can hardly count anymore. I am now back on program and vary my weeks between Core and Flex depending on what activities are going on that week. I leave on a cruise on 5/14/05 on the Empress and have made a personal decision that I will make the best choices I can when I can, but I will not deprive myself of the special treats that will be available for us.

I might add that this is a celebratory cruise for my finally earning my Masters Degree, and personally, I plan to toast my accomplishment on a daily basis as often as is necessary!:D I also plan on having a "date" with both Ben AND Jerry at least once. I figured that I will most likely eat many of the same foods for my meals (eg: oatmeal is a breakfast fave for me!), try to get lots of fruits and veggies and water and let the chips fall where they may.

The last cruise I took, my DH and I found we were so much more active, that the extra calories we consumed were somewhat accounted for by activity.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Glad to see this thread.

Been on WW since 10/04, we sailed 2/05.

Didn't even try to count points, just kept them in the back of my mind. Turned down potato's for breakfast and made sure to add a salad to lunch and dinner each day. Just constantly kept remembering why I am doing WW, and it seemed to help.

One more thing, I took the stairs 9 out of 10 times, while my husband took the elevator. I beat him to where we were going most of the time.

Only gained 1.4lbs on our cruise, I was shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :)

While I'm not in WW or any other program, I have lost 76lbs in the last year and a half, by spending time in the gym and making better choices with regard to what I eat. During our cruise last September, I spent at least an hour each day in the gym and then (for the most part) ate what I wanted, passing on seconds and obvious bad choices. I still enjoyed myself, had a few glasses of wine, and in the end I came home weighing the same as when I left. Whatever you choose, as long as you keep the mindset that by choosing to become healthy you are making a life-long committment and not simply on a temporary diet until you hit your target.

Good luck and congrats!

I am a WW leader and I just returned from a 10 Panama Canal cruise on Brillance of the Seas. I advise members to be sensible. Although I am a Core person, I think that when in an eating situation such as a cruise then you need to be sensible about choices and try to balance the day. For example, I always eat in the dining room in the evening and when I order from the menu I pick the diet friendly choice if it is something I think I will enjoy, if not, then I request grilled fish or chicken with potato and vegetable, and ifI have dessert then I do the same. At breakfast I try to stay with what I usually have at home, as example, on a few mornings I ordered and egg white omelet and specify that it not be made with oil, fruit and a bread choice. On some mornings I had yogurt, fruit and cereal. Hot cereal was another option as well. Lunches were at the buffet and I tried to stay with salads and fruit or soup and salad. I have to admit that after 5 days of the buffet luches I decided not to go to the buffet but rather order a salad from the Seaview cafe. I just thought that the choices were far too many and the temptation was something I did not want to deal with at the buffet. This plan of action always works for me. I drink water with lemon and tried to be active. The focus of a vacation should be rest, relaxation and having a good time. I always try to think beyond the vacation, what do I want to see on the scale when I return. I have been a LTM and staff member of WW for the last 21 years and I truly believe that you can do anything you want to do, all you have to do is think of how to achieve it. It is all part of the plan. We are learning to live life and loose weight. I have been on 3 cruises and this game plan always worked for me.

Archived