Prinsendam, going aboard to tender?

billroddy

It's different, I'll say that!

The Prinsendam has a wide staircase that you descend inside the ship. That takes you down to the tender dock itself. After that, it's about the same as transferring from any of the other ships.

When I transferred, the ship and the tender were bobbing significantly, and in opposing directions. I was so terrified that I gave up and decided not to go. After the others had all boarded I decided to give it one more try, and did transfer without incident.

I don't recall any problems coming back.

In other words, it can be as easy, or as difficult, as any ship. But you don't have to descend that steep set of metal stairs on the outside of the ship.

Your message will help me decide on the Prinsendam.

Bill

QUOTE=RuthC;33225295]It's different, I'll say that!

The Prinsendam has a wide staircase that you descend inside the ship. That takes you down to the tender dock itself. After that, it's about the same as transferring from any of the other ships.

When I transferred, the ship and the tender were bobbing significantly, and in opposing directions. I was so terrified that I gave up and decided not to go. After the others had all boarded I decided to give it one more try, and did transfer without incident.

In other words, it can be as easy, or as difficult, as any ship. But you don't have to descend that steep set of metal stairs on the outside of the ship.

It's different, I'll say that!

Doesn't the Prinsendam have an elevator to go down to the tender gangway instead of using the stairs?

Doesn't the Prinsendam have an elevator to go down to the tender gangway instead of using the stairs?

You mean like on the Vista/Signature ships? Not that I know of, but I wasn't looking for one then, either. I do expect it's closer to the S-/R-ships in that design, though---go to a low deck on the ship, then descend by stairs to the level of the tender.

There is an elevator to the low deck, of course. Then there are doors which open to reveal several steps. There aren't as many steps as on outside straicases, but there are some.

I'm going by memory KK (and it can fail:eek:) but if I recall correctly, I saw people going into an elevator - it was either at the bottom level (which I think it was) or at the very next and there weren't many stairs:)

Since I never use elevators I'm not as observant as I should be about these things, but on my cruise we exited to the dock from the hatch used for tendering several of the times where we were docked. My recollection is there were at most 3 or 4 steps on a wide stairway and there may even have been a (steep) ramp to the side of the steps. The deck used for tendering is mostly a crew deck definitely served by an elevator. From the bottom of the stairs/elevator you go forward along about a 30-food corridor and then right or left to the hatches.

Roy

My recollection is there were at most 3 or 4 steps on a wide stairway

Was it that few? My sense ('cause my memory can't be trusted on this) was that it was more like 6-7. I do remember that it wasn't many, but if you can't do stairs at all, even one is too many. If a ramp, even a steep one, was added to the side (and yes, there is plenty of width for that), that would help at least some of us.

Archived