How guaranteed is a guarantee?

DelaPair

Hi everyone --

We'll be on the Silhouette for the Oct. 11 Adriatic sailing. I was wondering guarantee cabins be changed by Celebrity after being assigned? I thought I heard that somewhere. If that were to happen, it might actually be a good thing as I'm a little concerned about being so far forward on the Silhouette (7119).

I don't get seasick very often at all, but then again I am usually mid-ship. Does location still make a big difference with the new, huge ships? And will the Med and Adriatic likely be rough in October?

I appreciate any suggestions/responses. Thanks!

Chris

Hi

Once you have been allocated a cabin you can move to a cabin of your choice,

if any are available,just call your TA or X if you booked directly with them.

I rang Celebrity yesterday to do that and was told no, I would have to go back in the gty pool. I asked to change to a cabin same cat just slightly up the corridor and was told I could if I paid the full rate. Don't get me wrong I am very pleased with the cat I have been given (booked a gty inside and got a 08 oceanview) but its under Quasar and there are about eight cabins still available in that corridor just a little further up under the shops instead.

I was told it wasn't a manual thing it was done by computer. I told him I had read on cruise critic that it was something that could be done and he said "forums are just full of wrong information and mis-advice" !!

I rang Celebrity yesterday to do that and was told no, I would have to go back in the gty pool. I asked to change to a cabin same cat just slightly up the corridor and was told I could if I paid the full rate. Don't get me wrong I am very pleased with the cat I have been given (booked a gty inside and got a 08 oceanview) but its under Quasar and there are about eight cabins still available in that corridor just a little further up under the shops instead.

I was told it wasn't a manual thing it was done by computer. I told him I had read on cruise critic that it was something that could be done and he said "forums are just full of wrong information and mis-advice" !!

I called about 2 weeks ago because I was not loving the cabin I was assigned (AQ gty) He very nicely offered me another cabin (that I loved) and it was done in less than 10 minutes.

He is wrong,

I just did the same thing for our Eclipse cruise ,

My TA who is a major uk on line agent told me it couldn't be done. But it can,once you have your cabin allocated you can move to any vacant cabin in that category call captains club they will sort it for you.

This is done all the time,the only way you will need to pay a surcharge is if you upgrade to a higher cabin category,then you will need to pay any price difference. If you are still being told no ask to speak to a supervisor.

Good luck

Thanks I'll try calling Captains club tomorrow instead of just the standard UK call centre.

I'm really pleased with the upgrade to OV but worried about the noise from Quasar, we usually have a balcony cabin but this was such a good deal we couldn't resist! :)

We had Aq guarantees and had a linked booking. We were given 1552 and 1551. One cabin is port and the other starboard. Fortunately, they were both A-1's so we were able to switch cabins to other available A-1's. The A-2's that were left were on the same side of the ship but really foward.

"Linked" refers to dinner reservations and not cabin location.

Yes, a guarantee can be reassigned again. I've read about this happening from time to time.

If you want to be sure of a specific location or want to avoid an area or want to be near your companions then you should book an assigned cabin and not a guarantee.

Guarantees offer a discount in exchange for accepting ANY cabin in ANY location with the only guarantee being the minimum category. If these terms don't work for you then book an assigned cabin.

Thank you so much for suggesting I ring again. I got moved to the same cat cabin but just up the corridor with no problem at all :)

LSimon I'm not sure if you are referring to me? I am well aware of what a gty cabin is and only booked this cruise in that cabin because of price (we normally choose our balcony cabins) I was delighted when we were allocated a OV but from reading the posts on here I believed it was possible to make a slight amendment to the location of cabin whilst keeping in the same cat.

After an initial problem it does appear that the advice is correct. Celebrity told me its no problem to do this because you are getting exactly the same cat as you were assigned so it's not an upgrade :)

within the same category, i.e. 2A to 2A, etc.

Thank you. I didn't realize that the cruiser could change the cabin after it was assigned. :confused: That would seem to contradict the whole point of the guarantee, i.e. cheaper cabin for no choice (except class) in cabin selection.

My question had to do with whether Celebrity could change the cabin closer to the cruise; thanks to those who responded to that and my question about the Med.

Now that there's a possibility of ME changing the cabin assignment (always learning something new on CC!), I might think about it. I will probably just happily accept what we have gotten, though. I don't know for sure that it would bother me to be so far forward, otherwise I wouldn't have done gty. Usually, I'm only in bad shape when the whole ship is rolling, but I thought there's always the chance that cabin location might make a difference. I wondered, though, with the modern stabilizers and all, whether people still had issues. Thanks again!:)

Well, I do believe that his statement is often true.

OP apologies for hijacking your thread!

I've sailed the med and Adriatic in October with no problems, I am sure your cabin will be great but at least you know you can request a change if you feel you want to. :)

I'm so glad you posted as it led to me ringing them again! As ever cruise critic comes trumps :D

OP apologies for hijacking your thread!

I've sailed the med and Adriatic in October with no problems, I am sure your cabin will be great but at least you know you can request a change if you feel you want to. :)

I'm so glad you posted as it led to me ringing them again! As ever cruise critic comes trumps :D

No problem, Debbie! It makes sense to me to discuss very similar topics on the same thread. And thank you for sharing your experience!

....LSimon I'm not sure if you are referring to me? I am well aware of what a gty cabin is and only booked this cruise in that cabin because of price (we normally choose our balcony cabins) I was delighted when we were allocated a OV but from reading the posts on here I believed it was possible to make a slight amendment to the location of cabin whilst keeping in the same cat.....

I was not addressing the comment to anyone in particular. It is more for the benefit of any new cruisers looking at this thread for information. While many people are often able to change their guarantee cabin assignments there are times when this doesn't happen. I'd hate for someone to get the impression that this can always be done because that is not always the case. There are times when a guarantee assignment is not in an ideal location and can not be changed and anyone booking a guarantee cabin needs to be aware of that.

I was not addressing the comment to anyone in particular. It is more for the benefit of any new cruisers looking at this thread for information. While many people are often able to change their guarantee cabin assignments there are times when this doesn't happen. I'd hate for someone to get the impression that this can always be done because that is not always the case. There are times when a guarantee assignment is not in an ideal location and can not be changed and anyone booking a guarantee cabin needs to be aware of that.

Yes you are right because I think it depends on who you speak to at Celebrity. You should not book a gty expecting it to be changed (even within the same cat) For the price I paid I was expecting a cupboard under the stairs! so am delighted with what I have :)

If you pick any available cabin, then why do a gty? Am I missing something here?

If one is not too particular, but still want an option of where you are, then everyone should do a gty. Yes?

I've been able to move a guy cabin within the same category but sometimes you just can't. There are times when cabins are assigned when there are no other available cabins to choose from or none that are any better than what has been assigned. You have to be able to accept any cabin that has been assigned but occasionally you do have an opportunity to change.

If you pick any available cabin, then why do a gty? Am I missing something here?

If one is not too particular, but still want an option of where you are, then everyone should do a gty. Yes?

You ARE missing something. If you book a balcony guarantee, for example, you could be assigned anything from a 2D (obstructed) upwards. But once you are assigned a cabin, maybe a 1C, for example, you can pick any other available 1C--but not a 1B, or a 2A, or ANY other category.

If you are not too particular, and any balcony is okay, then book a guarantee. If you HAVE to be midships, or aft, or starboard, then you better book what you want and will be happy with.

I have booked three guarantees; changed a forward 2B for an aft 2B, then upgraded to CC on board; changed to an FV when prices dropped; and upgraded from a 2D to a CC when prices dropped. So it's a good starting point/bottom line, and leaves you lots of upside options.

Just reading this thread with interest as we have a GTY for the first time. There has been mention of upgrading when onboard. Please can you tell me how this works?

Many thanks

Well, it doesn't appear to work very often, but occasionally on ships that are not full, you can pay for a upgrade on board. You can check with Guest Relations when you board. We spent one night in our original cabin then moved the next day. You should have seen the looks on people's faces when we were wheeling our luggage down the corridors, up the elevator, etc!!

Archived