How guaranteed is a guarantee?

DelaPair

I've booked may GTY cabins. Anything can happen. I've been assigned early, waited until almost the sailing date, been assigned and kept the assignment, been assigned and was reassigned 3 times. It's a mystery what will happen. You should save money. Look at it as a surprise or adventure. If location is important, do NOT book Gty. When I have had the upgrades, the cabins were assigned late. Good luck. Be happy in any cabin. You are on a cruise. Enjoy!

There were some really good guarantee prices on our Silhouette cruise for this summer but we have 2 balcony cabins (2 teens and 2 adults in our party) and I was concerned we would not be next to one another. There are still lots of cabins left on our cruise - If we had booked guarantee would they have tried to put us together? Is there a way of linking us and requesting this when you book a guarantee. I doubt we will do this as the price has since gone up but just wondering out of interest if anyone has experience with this situation? Thanks

I rang Celebrity yesterday to do that and was told no, I would have to go back in the gty pool. I asked to change to a cabin same cat just slightly up the corridor and was told I could if I paid the full rate. Don't get me wrong I am very pleased with the cat I have been given (booked a gty inside and got a 08 oceanview) but its under Quasar and there are about eight cabins still available in that corridor just a little further up under the shops instead.

I was told it wasn't a manual thing it was done by computer. I told him I had read on cruise critic that it was something that could be done and he said "forums are just full of wrong information and mis-advice" !!

Call them back. We booked two CC guarantee cabins and I was looking in a large online travel website that shows available cabins and saw before booking that there were lots of pairs of rooms right next to each other. So I called when we got our cabin assignments, told him i was looking on said website and saw six pairs of adjoining rooms, and asked if we could please have two rooms next to each other, didn't matter where they were, so that dh and I could be in one room, kids in another, and the Celebrity rep was able to do that. So they do have some ability to make manual changes.

It does make sense with a guarantee that they would give you the least desirable cabin in the category, so maybe that is why they don't want to change your cabin, but I believe they do have some ability to do a manual room assignment if they see a compelling reason to do it.

...It does make sense with a guarantee that they would give you the least desirable cabin in the category, so maybe that is why they don't want to change your cabin, but I believe they do have some ability to do a manual room assignment if they see a compelling reason to do it.

This is raw speculation on my part but: I think you're giving them, especially customer service, more credit than they deserve here. I don't most of them have a clue as to which are the least (or most) desirable cabins in a given class. I think that many end up with the least desirable cabins in a guarantee either by chance or because that is all that is left.

Can you be guaranteed "no upgrade"?

Jack, I don't know if you can be guaranteed no upgrade, but it do know that you can request it through Captain's Club and the chances are very good that it will be honored. We had an AFT C1 on the Constellation last September, had them mark it no upgrade please, and had no problems.

ED

I have taken cruises in the med the past 3 years in October. On each cruise we had 1-2 days of rough seas, and by rough, I mean barf bags in the hallways rough lol.

There's unfortunately no way to tell how the seas will be. You will feel the motion more the higher up you go, and the more forward or aft. For this reason, I can't book GTY because I know I need to be sure of getting a midship cabin relatively low down (i've sailed as high as deck 8 so far lol).

Bring things with you, in case of feeling ill. Many swear by certain things. I use ginger pills, 550 mg each, take 2 in the AM and 2 at night. I've tried other things but this worked best for me so far.

This is raw speculation on my part but: I think you're giving them, especially customer service, more credit than they deserve here. I don't most of them have a clue as to which are the least (or most) desirable cabins in a given class. I think that many end up with the least desirable cabins in a guarantee either by chance or because that is all that is left.

You are probably right, and I'll bet that is why we were originally assigned two cabins whose numbers were sequentially one right after the other. Someone probably thought they were together when one was on the port side and one on the starboard! I wonder sometimes if the CSRs have deck plans in front of them.

Call them back. We booked two CC guarantee cabins and I was looking in a large online travel website that shows available cabins and saw before booking that there were lots of pairs of rooms right next to each other. So I called when we got our cabin assignments, told him i was looking on said website and saw six pairs of adjoining rooms, and asked if we could please have two rooms next to each other, didn't matter where they were, so that dh and I could be in one room, kids in another, and the Celebrity rep was able to do that. So they do have some ability to make manual changes.

It does make sense with a guarantee that they would give you the least desirable cabin in the category, so maybe that is why they don't want to change your cabin, but I believe they do have some ability to do a manual room assignment if they see a compelling reason to do it.

Thanks, I did ring them back (I updated the thread if you look a few posts further) and got moved a few cabins up the corridor to a same cat cabin with no problem at all. If they hadn't done this it would have been fine as I took the chance with my inside gty and go be honest would not have been on the cruise at all if I hadn't! I'm delighted with the OV cabin I have and was very surprised to be allocated one in the first place :)

Hi Debbie just a quick update I have been on to Celebrity and they would not change the cabin so unfortunately we will just go with it, she did say if it was that noisy go to guest services and they will try and sort it. Should be interesting as it is under the treadmills!!!!!! It was worth a try as at the price I have paid I am still very happy to be in Aqua class but as they say nothing ventured nothing gained.

Archived