Mayan Tour Choice

In Dec.we did BELIZE LAMANAI MAYAN RUINS EXPERIENCE through ISLAND MARKETING LTD (CAYMAN)-Belize Cruise Excursions. (Caps are due to copying and pasting). Really enjoyed it. It was an all day excursion. We had a one hr bus ride, than a one hr boat ride, lunch, than the ruins. They were awesome. I have also done the ruins in Coz. Much, much smaller site, but basically right at port and left time for other things to do.

In Dec.we did BELIZE LAMANAI MAYAN RUINS EXPERIENCE through ISLAND MARKETING LTD (CAYMAN)-Belize Cruise Excursions. (Caps are due to copying and pasting). Really enjoyed it. It was an all day excursion. We had a one hr bus ride, than a one hr boat ride, lunch, than the ruins. They were awesome. I have also done the ruins in Coz. Much, much smaller site, but basically right at port and left time for other things to do.

We were looking at this tour. We seem to think it looks the best too. Were you back in plenty of time? If Carnival offered it, we would def book....but bit bit scared re missing the ship esp in Belize.

As I understand it, you can visit some of the Mayan sites from Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya.

Question: Which one is the "best" in terms of actually ruins, ease of travel, length of excursion, and of course the overall co$t?

Thanks!

Going from my memory of last years research, in Cozumel there is Coba which is one of the larger sites and Tulum which is unique because it is a cliffside site. Problem is you have to take 45 minute ferry from Cozumel to mainland then ride in bus to site. Tulum is closer than Coba. But both eat up whole day.

Belize I did Altun Ha which is smaller than the other Belize sites but closer so you have 1/2 your day left. Even though I say small - it was large to me. 2 plazas, 3 or 4 temples and multiple other structures. It was my first site and I was very satisfied (although I have nothing to compare to.)

Doing Choccoben in Costa Maya this year with Native Choice. Only 1 hour each way so I'll have part of day left.

So if you don't mind traveling most of the day - definately do the larger sites. If you're looking for a first time experience, stay close and enjoy the beach or shopping for rest of day.

Belize I did Altun Ha which is smaller than the other Belize sites but closer so you have 1/2 your day left. Even though I say small - it was large to me. 2 plazas, 3 or 4 temples and multiple other structures. It was my first site and I was very satisfied (although I have nothing to compare to.)

This sounds like the best all around option, particularly for July. Are there private tours available or CCL?

Most of the Mayan ruin sites all require a bit of down time traveling there and back. What tipped the scale for me last year to Altun Ha was in Belize you are allowed to climb to the top of the ruins as long as it isn't raining.

This year I'm going to Tulum. Went there (I think) almost 20 years ago. Going back again becuase it seemed the easiest to walk for my in-laws who are cruising with me (and DH).

There is a site in Belize that starts with an "X" looks neat but is a long, long day and if you have any fear of heights it probably isn't for you.

Archived