Windstar Cruise vs Seadream/SeaBourn

OrlEngr

Hi ...

We need a little help ... Trying to decide on our next cruise and would like to do something more "special" than previous cruises. We have been on the other major lines (HAL, Princess, RCCL, CCL) and looking for more luxurious cruise. We just got back from HAL and Virgin Islands and would like to go back and explore more completely.

I like the idea of a sail boat ... but can somebody help me compare/contrast these lines to help us decide what is best for us. We are in our (LATE) 30's but don't necessarily need a wild party constantly. Good food is a plus but doesn't have to be gourmet.

We would like to determine which would provide the best experience. I'm also posting at other CC pages to get their opinion ... but please tell me what you like about Windstar line.

I can't speak for SeaDream and Seabourn but I can say that the Windsurf is a fabulous vacation. If you like to keep things simple but have quality and good service then this is the type of cruise for you. I went with my husband in Dec of 2004 and it was great! The type of passengers on board are really easy going and they don't need all the bells and whistles to keep them happy. It is not a party hardy ship but it sure is relaxing and romantic. It's so nice to dine whenever you want and with whoever you want. All in all it is by far one of the best cruises I've ever taken. I've been on all of the major lines and they are nice with loads of activities and bells and whistles and flashy lights but you can't compare to the Windsurf. That is just my opinion, it certainly isn't a ship for everyone but if you are a laid back person that enjoys quality but not super fancy accomodations then this can be a ship for you.

We are also in our late 30's and took the WindSurf in December. We thoroughly enjoyed the "country club casual" dress code as it made packing simple. The ship was extremely clean. The ages ranged from a few couples younger than ourselves to 2-3 couples in their late 60's-70's, but mostly in the 45-55 age range. There were no (zero) children or teenagers on our cruise (that may be likely on any of the three in early-mid December). Wine/liquor is not included on Windstar as it is on Sea Dream and Seabourn so that should be factored in when comparing prices. From the prices I've seen, if you don't drink or you don't drink that much then Windstar is less expensive. The service and food on the WindSurf was excellent. Finally, gliding across the Caribbean under sail (with the motor shut off) is something that has to be experienced to be believed. Total peace.:o

• 2 months later...

We have taken the Seabourn and loved it. The service is wonderful, and NEVER, EVER having to think about the cost for drink, or tips was even more wonderful. It makes it like a special party. The passenger mix was for sure much older on our trip, which was partly due the fact it was a two week cruise.

We have thought about the Windstar, but hate having to deal with drink tabs. Not so much the actual money, but just dealing with it. We have done all inclusive often and might even pay MORE than the per drink charge would be, but that is not the point. No hassle is worth LOTS of money.

so - any comparison comments?

Hi. We did the Virgins Islands cruise with SeaDream a couple of years ago. The food was perfect, the service outstanding, drinks included, just wonderful all around. The crowd was mostly 50's and 60's (older than us), and a fun, well-travelled group. It was very relaxed, with little to no night-life. We're trying WindStar for the first time later this summer. So after that I will be able to compare.

Gary, I can see where it would be nice to not have the signing ritual at the end of dinner or getting up from the lounge. We thought about doing the signature cruise that was the week before our Istanbul-Athens trip to get that. We are relatively light drinkers; for me that is especially true on a cruise because I keep it light to avoid motion sickness and to minimize jet lag effects. The wine with dinner would cover most of my drinking on a cruise.

However, when I found it would be about $500 pp cheaper to take the non-signature sailing, the convenience factor wasn't enough to overcome the price difference. Sea Dream was running more than $1000 pp more than our Wind Star price.

On my Wind Surf cruise, they had a table in the reception area in the morning where you could arrange for your bottle of wine ahead of time and get a 10% discount. That was very convenient and agreeable. They didn't have it on our Wind Star Istanbul Athens.

(No longer) New Cruiser,

:o

I hope you post a review soon of your Greek Isles cruise (if you have already, please let me know where to find it). I'm especially interested in the ports of call and your view of the difference (if any) between Windstar's large and smaller ships.

johnny

Archived