switching passangers in handicap rooms

My inlaws were going on the April 15th marnier cruise. They have a handicap room. They now can't go and are going to "sell" the room to our friends that are not handicap. Questions: how soon must they change the name, and two, will they (RCCL) switch them to a non handicap room? (I think that catagory is sold out tho)

My inlaws were going on the April 15th marnier cruise. They have a handicap room. They now can't go and are going to "sell" the room to our friends that are not handicap. Questions: how soon must they change the name, and two, will they (RCCL) switch them to a non handicap room? (I think that catagory is sold out tho)

Someone will correct me, but I don´t think they can do this, as one person from the original booking must remain in the cabin, or in other words, I don´t think you can change both persons.

I don't think they can "sell" their cabin to anyone, handicapped or regular cabin. RCCL will not let them change both names to two new people. If they have insurance and a reason they are cancelling is an insurable reason, they can get reimbursed for their cruise fare.

Someone will correct me, but I don´t think they can do this, as one person from the original booking must remain in the cabin, or in other words, I don´t think you can change both persons.

I don't think they can "sell" their cabin to anyone, handicapped or regular cabin. RCCL will not let them change both names to two new people. If they have insurance and a reason they are cancelling is an insurable reason, they can get reimbursed for their cruise fare.

You are both correct - cannot be done as 1 name must remain on the reservation or cancel completely.

You are both correct - cannot be done as 1 name must remain on the reservation or cancel completely.

You are all absolutely right. Hope the inlaws have really good insurance as that's the only way they will get their money back.

Thanks for the responces. Well, inlaws have a good reason for not going. (mil has dementia, and has gotten worse) It's not that they really want the money back....they thought they could just "gift" it to some friends of the family to enjoy. You would think it would be easy. But guess not.

Thanks for the responces. Well, inlaws have a good reason for not going. (mil has dementia, and has gotten worse) It's not that they really want the money back....they thought they could just "gift" it to some friends of the family to enjoy. You would think it would be easy. But guess not.

What they could try is to change one name now and in a couple days change the other one. Nothing to lose trying.

That would have been a nice thing for them to do.

Is the cabin double occupancy? If its a triple maybe they could leave one name on - remove one name - add the 2 they are gifting - yes it will cost a few dollars for a 3rd passenger but would still be cheaper than paying for a cruise and the cabin could be used. Just have the in law be a no show? Could that work? Id happily pay a 3rd pax rate if someone were giving me a cruise.

What if they just drop one name add a new name make the new name the "owner" then later drop the other name and add the second new person.

Nope, can't do it. One of the original passengers must remain on the booking or the booking must be cancelled.

beachchick

I would try calling them and explaining the situation and talk to a higher up there instead of just a regular customer service person.

Explain that you do have someone else to buy the cabin on the spot and that you are willing to pay the current price for that category cabin.

If there is a higher price now I suggest the the inlaws pay the difference for the cabin.

Royal Caribbean will make exceptions if you talk to them, they don't advertise this though.

Since this cruise is so close they most certainly might let it happen.

Doesn't hurt to try calling more then once either, just depends who you get on the phone when you call.You might be surprised.

Good Luck

Jimbo:)

IF AND ONLY IF it could be "gifted" its a special needs cabin and the other party would have to fill out the special needs form and prove the need. Call RCCL I am sure someone can help all the parties out.

If the in-laws can not go, the handicap cabin should go back into the handicap pool of cabins. Not given to a non-handicap person, even if they are friends of the original booking handicap person.

For a cruise that leaves in a week, the handicapped rooms will have already been released to the general public

One of the names from the original booking must remain the same as other have already stated.

Also and even more important, due to New Federal Laws that went into effect as of January 1, 2012 by the Federal Department of Transportation, the cabin switch could not be done since the other couple do not require a HC cabin and the new laws now require that at least one person in the HC room has to certify that they need the features of the HC room due to mobility and or phyical disability. As a result of this new law RCCL had to reclassify all uit's HC cabins and now requires the booking passengers to certify the need for such a cabin.

Because the cruise is a week out the cabin is able to goe into general inventory but there may also be a passengers that are currently booked it in a non Hc Cabin that are waitlisted for the HC cabin that it will be assigined to first under the new law.

One of the names from the original booking must remain the same as other have already stated.

Also and even more important, due to New Federal Laws that went into effect as of January 1, 2012 by the Federal Department of Transportation, the cabin switch could not be done since the other couple do not require a HC cabin and the new laws now require that at least one person in the HC room has to certify that they need the features of the HC room due to mobility and or phyical disability. As a result of this new law RCCL had to reclassify all uit's HC cabins and now requires the booking passengers to certify the need for such a cabin.

Because the cruise is a week out the cabin is able to goe into general inventory but there may also be a passengers that are currently booked it in a non Hc Cabin that are waitlisted for the HC cabin that it will be assigined to first under the new law.

If I was handicapped and looking for a cruise I would not book a cruise and waitlist for a handi-cap cabin if I really had to have one, I would look for a another sailing/ship.

To waitlist for a cabin is just plain crazy in this case.

Jimbo:)

Thanks again everyone. Some excellent thoughts and comments. I really think we could of swung it someway if it hadn't been a handicap room. Maybe. All in all the room was cancelled and the excited friends are no longer friends........just kidding.

Archived