Two people, 3 airline seats?????

heatescapee

Absolutely no "grudge" on the subject. However, I do have a long career in management, where I did NOT tolerate inappropriate behavior by an employee. Management needs to know when employees break the rules.

I would say that over my lifetime, I've probably written more positive letters than negative - spoken more often to supervisors to praise good employees than chide bad ones - and personally thanked many good employees as I encounter them in all businesses I patronize. I'm have no need for a "power trip", nor do I consider it as such. Management can take or leave my comments - with no skin off my nose either way.

Service industries need to know what kind of treatment their employees are giving. Managers in those industries crave to know the good and bad. Why do you think so many restaurants, hotels and the like literally beat you over the head to fill out a comment card??

Thank you for your response. Your explanation makes a good point.

We flew a 380 on Air France... in coach, would definitely book premium coach next trip... the 380 coach is worse than a greyhound bus... actually the old greyhound buses were more comfortable.

Just booked PE on an Air France flight on a 340, those 11 hours flights are killers today in coach.

Have found fellow passengers pay a lot of attention, we were on a flight with a friend who is a flight attendant -- she brought us some wine from first class, we were surprised to learn later another passenger complained. I could understand if we were bothering someone but we were quietly enjoying the wine. Can you imagine. Flying today on crowded aircrafts is a rough experience compared to years ago.

Air France PE is the pits. One of the worst trips of my life. If I ever fly them again (highly doubtful) I will book an extra economy seat or pony up the cash for business.

And BTW, as someone who pays good money to fly F, yes, I would have complained about you getting F amenities. It is one thing if a super elite can't get the upgrade they would normally be entitled to or perhaps someone loses a paid for F booking due to it ops (has happened to me twice this year) to give them some perks to soften the blow. But for some random Joe in economy? The FA was painfully inappropriate.

Edited by ducklite

if he had been minding his own business, as he should have been, he wouldn't even have noticed.

I am not sure how a passenger in another section would even know if they paid for the wine or not. It amazes me how much people pay attention to what others are doing, which is why I try to mind my own business particularly on flights and other public places.

I did get a nasty look one time when I was the one in first class, because I offered a couple dessert cookies to a screaming child in coach. Interestingly, when the kid shut up, the nasty look disappeared ;)

People will always be in each other's business, it is the American way. You can thank reality TV shows and 24 hour news for that.

I am not sure how a passenger in another section would even know if they paid for the wine or not. It amazes me how much people pay attention to what others are doing, which is why I try to mind my own business particularly on flights and other public places.

If some people get things they haven't paid for the fare will go up for everyone!!!! To complain is minding your own business!

It's the same thing when people smuggle alcohol onboard the ships. If some people smuggle, everyone have to pay for it with higher fares.

I did get a nasty look one time when I was the one in first class, because I offered a couple dessert cookies to a screaming child in coach. Interestingly, when the kid shut up, the nasty look disappeared ;)

People will always be in each other's business, it is the American way. You can thank reality TV shows and 24 hour news for that.

When a FA comes from the First or business carrying wine and gives it to a passenger in economy, it's pretty noticeable. The wine catered for first and business is not the same as the wine catered for economy.

If some people get things they haven't paid for the fare will go up for everyone!!!! To complain is minding your own business!

It's the same thing when people smuggle alcohol onboard the ships. If some people smuggle, everyone have to pay for it with higher fares.

The airline pays exactly the same whether I eat my cookies, throw them away, or give them to the screaming kid in coach. No cost increase to pass on.

When a FA comes from the First or business carrying wine and gives it to a passenger in economy, it's pretty noticeable. The wine catered for first and business is not the same as the wine catered for economy.

My bad.....I was under the impression the FA brought out glasses, not the entire bottle so I didn't realize it was obvious.

My bad.....I was under the impression the FA brought out glasses, not the entire bottle so I didn't realize it was obvious.

Even if it was glasses, again, the wine catered for F and J is not the same as the wine catered for economy. Economy gets single serve bottles and plastic cups. First and business get wine poured from a 750 ml bottle, usually into actual glassware. On international flights the wines for F and J are different as well. That is why each section has it's own galley and catering.

If wine is coming downstream, the FA is breaking the rules. The ONLY exception would be guest recovery--when someone is involuntarily downgraded after paying for a seat in an upper cabin, they will usually try to toss a perk at them to smooth the waters. When this happens the FA is usually pretty vocal about making sure others around know the circumstances.

It has happened to me a couple of times, earlier this year on an international flight when I got downgraded from F to business due to a crew scheduling problem and last year when they upgraded a non rev instead of me (highest FF tier) due to a mistake at the gate. I was freaking steamed and they knew it--I had already lost my F seat on previous flights due to three mechanical cancellations in a row. They brought me a couple glasses of wine and the snack basket all the way to the back--and I got a lot of FF miles for it as well. Those around me could hear the conversation where she apologized for the issues with my first class ticketing and hoped that this would make me a little more comfortable.

Like I said, my bad....I've never ordered wine in coach.

Probably a good thing, it's pretty awful. Except on Air France. I have to admit as much as I detest them otherwise, the wines they serve in economy and PE are as good as if not better than the wines served in domestic business/first on most U.S. Carriers. :)

Probably a good thing, it's pretty awful. Except on Air France. I have to admit as much as I detest them otherwise, the wines they serve in economy and PE are as good as if not better than the wines served in domestic business/first on most U.S. Carriers. :)

Somehow that doesn't surprise me.... :)

Like I said, my bad....I've never ordered wine in coach.

The fine wines served in economy on most airlines come from the wine growing regions of Nebraska or Oklahoma. September was a good vintage. :)

It never ceases to amaze me the people who get so bent out of shape about someone getting something they feel is undeserved.

Did something get taken away from you? No? Then why do you care what someone else got? FA's have plenty of discretion to provide little perks to certain passengers. Maybe they're frequent fliers; maybe they performed some little service (switching seats, for example); maybe they were pleasant to the the FA's when boarding; maybe they were dear friends. I've seen it happen, and it's never bothered me - why do you care? How sweet for that person that one flight! Makes me happy for them; maybe a little 'gee, too bad that ain't me', but in a 'timing is everything in life' bemused outlook.

Honestly.....over a little wine? It really comes across as mean and vindictive, which I'm sure isn't your intent....but that's the way it comes across.

You'll get more sympathy from me on the non-stop talking; I'll grant you that! Which is why I never travel without earplugs.

1. Politely asking for information and commiserating with the gate agent during a lengthy flight delay (as opposed to all the people yelling and demanding) got me an unrequested and completely unexpected bump to first class.

2. Putting in my ear plugs and sitting quietly, not making a scene when a baby sitting on a lap next to me screamed non-stop got me moved to the exit row (again, unrequested).

3. Switching seats as requested so an issue could be resolved got me a free drink.

We're all in this together. How wonderful when someone has something go a little special. How awful when jealousy spoils that. Or when some self-righteous person decides you're not deserving.

Oh, and, btw - any first class wine that gets opened gets finished or dumped. Which is why (I've occasionally been in first) they come around asking if you want to finish the bottle.

Edited by azevedan

I just got off a flight. I was in economy due to a last minute booking. 10D. Exit row aisle with a couple extra inches of legroom. During boarding the FA asked me to switch with a 400 pound guy to 9D. I declined as 9D is 2-3" narrower than a standard economy seat and has fixed armrests and no tray table. She got some sucker to take it. Then the very overweight passenger took 8C and the poor lady in 8B sat squished with half her seat taken by his girth. Seriously, they should have made him buy a second seat. I doubt he could have fit into a first class seat he was so big. I would not for one second have stood for him taking that much of my seat, and no amount of cheap wine was going to make me change my mind. He clearly was selfish for not buying the second seat he absolutely needed, and the FA thought she was being sly asking me to switch. I fit comfortably into a regular coach seat, but even my size 6 isn't going to fit into a 15" seat.

The fine wines served in economy on most airlines come from the wine growing regions of Nebraska or Oklahoma. September was a good vintage. :)

LOL.... you know it isn't that I've been afraid of the wine quality in coach, I just tend to fly early in the morning when flying domestic so I've never even considered it. I tend to limit business to international flights.

I just got off a flight. I was in economy due to a last minute booking. 10D. Exit row aisle with a couple extra inches of legroom. During boarding the FA asked me to switch with a 400 pound guy to 9D. I declined as 9D is 2-3" narrower than a standard economy seat and has fixed armrests and no tray table. She got some sucker to take it. Then the very overweight passenger took 8C and the poor lady in 8B sat squished with half her seat taken by his girth. Seriously, they should have made him buy a second seat. I doubt he could have fit into a first class seat he was so big. I would not for one second have stood for him taking that much of my seat, and no amount of cheap wine was going to make me change my mind. He clearly was selfish for not buying the second seat he absolutely needed, and the FA thought she was being sly asking me to switch. I fit comfortably into a regular coach seat, but even my size 6 isn't going to fit into a 15" seat.

I'd have given the lady in 8B a bottle of champagne and some gourmet chocolates for her troubles. Or moved her to first, and I doubt any passenger would have complained, including the fat guy.

LOL.... you know it isn't that I've been afraid of the wine quality in coach, I just tend to fly early in the morning when flying domestic so I've never even considered it.

I personally never start drinking before 830am !! :D

It never ceases to amaze me the people who get so bent out of shape about someone getting something they feel is undeserved.

Did something get taken away from you? No? Then why do you care what someone else got? FA's have plenty of discretion to provide little perks to certain passengers. Maybe they're frequent fliers; maybe they performed some little service (switching seats, for example); maybe they were pleasant to the the FA's when boarding; maybe they were dear friends. I've seen it happen, and it's never bothered me - why do you care? How sweet for that person that one flight! Makes me happy for them; maybe a little 'gee, too bad that ain't me', but in a 'timing is everything in life' bemused outlook.

Honestly.....over a little wine? It really comes across as mean and vindictive, which I'm sure isn't your intent....but that's the way it comes across.

You'll get more sympathy from me on the non-stop talking; I'll grant you that! Which is why I never travel without earplugs.

1. Politely asking for information and commiserating with the gate agent during a lengthy flight delay (as opposed to all the people yelling and demanding) got me an unrequested and completely unexpected bump to first class.

2. Putting in my ear plugs and sitting quietly, not making a scene when a baby sitting on a lap next to me screamed non-stop got me moved to the exit row (again, unrequested).

3. Switching seats as requested so an issue could be resolved got me a free drink.

We're all in this together. How wonderful when someone has something go a little special. How awful when jealousy spoils that. Or when some self-righteous person decides you're not deserving.

Oh, and, btw - any first class wine that gets opened gets finished or dumped. Which is why (I've occasionally been in first) they come around asking if you want to finish the bottle.

You have the right attitude. Thank you for posting.

I'd have given the lady in 8B a bottle of champagne and some gourmet chocolates for her troubles. Or moved her to first, and I doubt any passenger would have complained, including the fat guy.

First was full, otherwise I would have been there. Champagne and gourmet chocolates? HAHA. Tell doggie to pony up, let's see how far you get. Why they didn't move people,around to get this guy two,seats was beyond me, but I wasn't born yesterday and wasn't going to take the sucking seat on the Blane because of his failure to plan.

I personally never start drinking before 830am !! :D

Departure time zone or arrival time zone? ;) On overseas flights I stop paying attention to local times and eat or drink whatever I feel like. Dinner at 8am, breakfast at 8pm, it really has no meaning.

Honestly.....over a little wine? It really comes across as mean and vindictive, which I'm sure isn't your intent....but that's the way it comes across......

Absolutely. Why be so concerned about what other people are doing?

I have seen United FAs bring back wine, food, desserts, etc. to Global Service passengers in economy and all I thought was that was the way you should treat your best customers. Nothing to be jealous or feel resentful about.

It's GOOD business to give a customer who flies over 100,000 miles a year just on your airline more privileges than someone flying once a year. That's why high level frequent flyers get things like free checked bags, early boarding, free upgrades, more frequent flyer miles, better compensation when something goes wrong, etc. If you don't like it, stick with Southwest, Frontier or Spirit.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

OK. I'll admit it. I was the recipient of a bottle of wine recently. I was in First on the domestic leg of a trip home from Europe. Turns out one of my co-workers (she had her 2nd job at my hotel) was working the flight. She did absolutely nothing different for me during the flight than any other passenger. She did not park herself at my seat and chat. At the end of the flight, she hands me a Delta garbage bag with a bottle of wine in it.

On the "middle seat" and "attract more flies with honey than vinegar": I recently had to make last minute reservations for some cross-country trips. Flights 3 days out only had 2-5 seats left and all were middle. I'm claustrophobic and middle seats make me very anxious because I have to get up and walk frequently to try to make it through the flight. I kept looking for openings on the seat chart to change to, but nothing opened. At the gate, I approached the GA and politely asked if she were still upgrading elites and if they had an aisle seat open with that, if she could possibly give it to me. I even said that, although I had the Delta Comfort seat, I would be willing to take a "regular" coach aisle seat. She told me to go ahead and board and, if something opened, she would come get me. Lo and behold, she came onboard at the last minute and motioned me up - she had the middle row (a 767) bulkhead aisle seat for me. I had no success with the other 3 flights, so my row mates had to endure me getting up and walking. I always tell the FAs what I'm doing and why so they don't get upset that I end up at the back galley so frequently.

As mentioned earlier, there is a great deal of difference between giving extras to a Global Service member versus giving extras to your friends. One is giving recognition to your best customers...the other is giving to a personal relationship. The first benefits the company, the other is taking from the company for your own desires.

Let me pose a hypothetical question....you own a restaurant/bar. Would you want your bartender giving away drinks to their friends, on the basis of their friendship? Or you have a fast food franchise and the clerks give away burgers to their friends. Is that OK? If the answer is "No", then that same concept should apply in the sky. If the answer is "Yes", I can promise you that your business will not succeed and last with employees, in effect, stealing from you.

Absolutely. Why be so concerned about what other people are doing?

I have seen United FAs bring back wine, food, desserts, etc. to Global Service passengers in economy and all I thought was that was the way you should treat your best customers. Nothing to be jealous or feel resentful about.

It's GOOD business to give a customer who flies over 100,000 miles a year just on your airline more privileges than someone flying once a year. That's why high level frequent flyers get things like free checked bags, early boarding, free upgrades, more frequent flyer miles, better compensation when something goes wrong, etc. If you don't like it, stick with Southwest, Frontier or Spirit.

I agree that top tier customers should be taken care of. However I have a problem with a FA giving items to Joe Cheaptix who is their neighbor or high school drinking buddy. That type of thing impacts costs and service levels and is flat out against their written SOP.

It's GOOD business to give a customer who flies over 100,000 miles a year just on your airline .

No one is disputing that. The incident that was questioned was an FA giving extras to someone simply because that person was their buddy. Similar thing happens frequently when a gate agent tells a top tier passenger who is #1 on the upgrade list that first class has boarded full (when it hasn't) and to go ahead and board into their coach seat.... and then promptly clears a non-rev buddy into a remaining seat in F.