Room service

blum74

No, but a tip is traditional.

Perhaps, but those who deliver your room service order do receive a portion of the gratuity billed to your onboard account daily. If you wish to give more, you may certainly do so.

Lew

Perhaps, but those who deliver your room service order do receive a portion of the gratuity billed to your onboard account daily. If you wish to give more, you may certainly do so.

Lew

Not true!

Only if you order an item that has an additional cost such as canned soda, pizza, beer, wine etc.
This is a little confusing. There's no service charge for delivering soda, wine, etc. to your cabin but you will be charged the price of a can, bottle, etc. Pizza is free but there's a $3 service charge.

Tipping for room service as per the pool gets a bit tricky to figure out, because there are a lot of different permutations. Some of the room service staff also fill other roles either as primary or secondary jobs (to make a little more money). For example, one dancer on the Island also worked room service 1-2 days a week for a few hours.

Depending on what that other role is may affect how they are apportioned, as they could be beverage or dish staff or even MDR/Buffet staff.

The other thing to consider about tipping is room service is one of the tougher customer facing jobs on ship. In some cases they have to travel quite a distance, possibly from multiple locations, across multiple decks of a sometimes not too steady ship while carrying or rolling a cart with hot foods and/or liquids. With that in mind, pooled or not, if budget allows they definitely deserve something...

Lew

Not true!

Yes, true.

Yes, true.

From the Princess Cruise Answer Place:

"To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per passenger in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet."

Which one is the room service staff?

Room Service staff are considered wait staff in terms of the staff org chart, so I suppose that would apply here (the Room Service supervisor answers to the Food and Beverage Manager and laterally to the MD if I recall correctly)

From the Princess Cruise Answer Place:

"To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per passenger in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet."

Which one is the room service staff?

No. It's been in effect for at least a couple of years, probably longer.

I never noticed this as on option on the menu previously. Do you simply request at time of ordering? What types do they offer? And is this for a slice of pizza or whole one? AWESOME NEWS! Saves the trip up to the pizzeria for the middle of the night cravings.

Thank you for sharing this. Do you know if they have breakfast food for room service?

That's what I was wondering. My FH is planning to gorge himself on bacon on this trip (I never make it at home so it's a treat for him) and I'm sure if he knew he could get it delivered to the room, he would order piles of it.

That's what I was wondering. My FH is planning to gorge himself on bacon on this trip (I never make it at home so it's a treat for him) and I'm sure if he knew he could get it delivered to the room, he would order piles of it.

They offer a continental breakfast via room service. Choice of breads, fruit, milk / juice / coffee / tea, cereal. You order on a separate menu card that's delivered to your stateroom the night before. I believe suite passengers have the added benefit of more breakfast options (eggs, etc) but I've yet to experience that yet! Others can probably shed light on it.

In my experience, Room Service on Princess is just great! Food items are not always limited to the Room Service menu. If you want something (relatively simple) that's not on the Room Service menu, those folks are happy to prepare it and serve it at no charge. For example, I've gotten grilled cheese, a steak, soup, ice cream or pie or something sweet just for the asking. I asked for guacamole and chips once and was politely referred to the Room Service Menu where it's available for a charge. I typically tip $3 to $5 to the person delivering whatever I've ordered. Invariably, they appreciate it, smile broadly and invite me to call again "...if there's anything else [they] can do!"

In my experience, Room Service on Princess is just great! Food items are not always limited to the Room Service menu. If you want something (relatively simple) that's not on the Room Service menu, those folks are happy to prepare it and serve it at no charge. For example, I've gotten grilled cheese, a steak, soup, ice cream or pie or something sweet just for the asking. I asked for guacamole and chips once and was politely referred to the Room Service Menu where it's available for a charge. I typically tip $3 to $5 to the person delivering whatever I've ordered. Invariably, they appreciate it, smile broadly and invite me to call again "...if there's anything else [they] can do!"

Yes, I've heard that too from other CCers I've met on the cruises but never tried it myself.

Archived