Why do people care?

So apparently, it's the material that something is made of that changes it from work clothing to formal wear! Hmmmm, so black eel skin baseball caps and flip flops would be OK?? :p

I've seen plenty of people dressed up in cowboy boots. When they are black leather or eel skin or whatever, they are just as nice as dress shoes. Heck some lawyers and judges even wear them in court.

It has been proven that the food in MDR tastes the same on formal night regardless of whether other people dress up to your liking or not.

I dress up on formal nights, but really don't care if others do or not. This last cruise on Splendor I made sure my kids were dressed up too - actually they were more formal than I was.

(interestingly the Maitre D made an announcement on the night before the formal night that anybody wearing t-shirts, shorts, caps, or sandals would not be allowed in - and this was on Carnival who in my previous experience was more lax about it)

Western boots are not work clothing. Coming from Nevada, I would have thought that you know the difference between work boots and dress boots. Guess not.:(

I don't know if a black eel skin baseball cap would/could be considered formal, but I do know that I would never wear western boots that had a Dodgers or Nascar logo on them.;)

You see, I think this kind of statement is part of the problem. You consider shorts, men's undershirts, baseball caps, etc. as "extremes". But who is to define what is "extreme"?

Let me get this straight... you don't believe that a man entering the MDR on Formal Night in his undershirt is extreme???

I won't even dare to go where your logic leads when applying the undershirt example to a woman.

To quote the United States Supreme Court ruling on obscenity..."I can't define it, but I know it when I see it!"

(interestingly the Maitre D made an announcement on the night before the formal night that anybody wearing t-shirts, shorts, caps, or sandals would not be allowed in - and this was on Carnival who in my previous experience was more lax about it)

Thats my kind of Maitre'D...now only if Royal would hire him!:D

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what you wear (or what they are made of), it's not going to affect my cruise. My point is what I mentioned in an earlier post....people can't agree on what is "formal" wear. And someone who wears boots on formal night shouldn't be too upset with people who make different choices. It's the old saying about people in glass houses throwing stones and all that.

As for living in Nevada and knowing about cowboy boots....just to be clear, I live in the suburbs of a huge city of nearly 2 million people...I am city girl, through and through, so boots are just boots to me. :) And just because judges and lawyers wear them doesn't make them formal wear.

And another thing, I wear nice clothes to the dining room, and probably what I wear on a casual night isn't much different from what I see most people wearing on formal night. I enjoy wearing nice clothes and looking nice, and I jazz it up some on formal nights but I still don't care what others wear.

---

As for living in Nevada and knowing about cowboy boots....just to be clear, I live in the suburbs of a huge city of nearly 2 million people...I am city girl, through and through, so boots are just boots to me. :) And just because judges and lawyers wear them doesn't make them formal wear.

---

What I am saying is that they can be formal wear. Im not talking about the cowboy boots you would see somebody riding or working with. I am talking about the shiny black boots that the other poster mentioned. I travel frequently for business and have to attend formal events across the country. In Los Angeles, Manhattan, Vegas, ESPECIALLY Dallas, Atlanta, I have been to functions where a few people wear cowboy boots with suits. It does not look at all garish. I actually prefer that look to some 'trendy' Italian shoe designs that are out there.

My guess is that you've been around people wearing them, yes even in big city Vegas, and you just didn't notice because they really don't stand out at all.

What did stand out at a nice restaurant in Long Beach, CA a couple weeks ago - a guy was wearing spurs on his boots along with a suit. That look didn't really work.

EDIT: Look at this pic of George W. Bush and Rick Perry (not that I am saying they are fashion icons). Look at GW's right foot. You would not be able to tell he is wearing cowboy boots. He even has the presidential seal on the front of the boots.

6928926080_c8bdc69eed.jpg

Let me get this straight... you don't believe that a man entering the MDR on Formal Night in his undershirt is extreme???

I won't even dare to go where your logic leads when applying the undershirt example to a woman.

To quote the United States Supreme Court ruling on obscenity..."I can't define it, but I know it when I see it!"

Yup, I have to go along with you on this one.

It's nice seeing everyone dressed up and I definitely take part in formal night....but I honestly don't care how others are dressed as long as a 900 pound man isnt in a speedo (yuck) then I'm fine with it...if you have pants and a shirt on who cares?

What I don't get is the men saying they cannot afford to buy "formal wear". My son in law just had to buy a suit for his grandfather's funeral. He works a job that does not require him to dress up. Black suit at JC Penny';s $100.00, shirt and tie at Penny's $50.00, dress shoes $40.00 at DSW. TOtal cost $190.00. Seems to me that if you can afford the cruise, cost of shore excursions, bar bill etc. etc. you can afford the $190.00.

yogimax, since it appears that you didn't actually read my post, I've reposted it here, along with your response:

You see, I think this kind of statement is part of the problem. You consider shorts, men's undershirts, baseball caps, etc. as "extremes". But who is to define what is "extreme"? There are people that think shorts are perfectly acceptable. Is their definition of "extreme" wrong?

I just think it's a slippery slope when people say, "I don't care what anyone wears as long as they don't wear _________."

Did I EVER say that I thought a man entering the MDR on Formal Night in his undershirt is not extreme?

Next time, read a post before responding to it.

Did I EVER say that I thought a man entering the MDR on Formal Night in his undershirt is not extreme?

That is EXACTLY how I understood your post. So, simple question...

Do you, time4u2go, consider a man entering the MDR on Formal Night in his undershirt to be extreme.

Yes or no?

Please all spare a thought for those of us who fly, and are subjected to weight restrictions, to catch a cruise ship out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale. After 13 hours across the Pacific and then another 5 across America we finally get on a ship and we must adhere to 23Kg (50lb) total.

As you are all aware there are baggage limits on planes now and the inclusion of suits, belts, ties, shoes and a shirt for one maybe 2 nights wear while on 2 or 3 week holiday becomes a luxury that we simply cant have, let alone afford. To take these items you may be sacrificing 3 or 4 other changes of clothes that can be washed and reused many times to remain under the 15kg (33lb) or 23Kg (50lb) limit that many airlines have.

Those travelling to Europe from this side of the world have recently been lowered to 20kg (44lb) so taking into account a case weighs between 4kg and 5kg there is not much room left for your luxuries. Many airlines now will not let you pre-purchase extra weight and, if you are over, the price can run into hundreds of dollars. The 7kg (15lb) carry on weight and size limit, while seemingly not enforced in the US as observed on a recent trip, is and was strictly enforced recently on a flight to and from the US, with many complaining and paying large sums to get their carry on on the aircraft.

Next formal night spare a thought for those people sitting at the table next to you, they may have traveled a great distance to enjoy the cruise and due to the airlines restrictions, the pair of slacks and collared shirt that they have on may be the best that they could bring and stay under the weight limit. There were 2 formal nights on my last cruise that my wife and I could not participate in due to not having, what would have been considered, suitable attire, it was a shame.

I don't see many men posting that they can't afford it. Plenty of them seem to just not like it.
I was going to make this comment but was afraid that at over 160 posts on this thread

(and so many many more on all the many many more threads on this topic), I may have missed it.

No this is not about money.

That is EXACTLY how I understood your post. So, simple question...

Do you, time4u2go, consider a man entering the MDR on Formal Night in his undershirt to be extreme.

Yes or no?

I made it a point to not state my feelings about what is extreme and what is not. If you choose to interpret it another way, I certainly can't help that.

And yes, I do feel an undershirt would be extreme. But my point is, not everyone does. And I'm not on here saying "I don't care what you wear as long as you don't wear an undershirt."

You stated that you find shorts to be extreme. I'd be willing to guess that not everyone does. And before you ask, I don't.

It makes me laugh that there are so many discussions about whether or not formal wear is required on formal nights when people can't even agree on what formal wear is!!!

Can't we all agree to mind our own business, dress as we like, to not judge books by their covers and to enjoy our cruise vacations in whatever manner that pleases us and doesn't hurt others?

By the way, this is my favorite post in the thread!

I made it a point to not state my feelings about what is extreme and what is not. If you choose to interpret it another way, I certainly can't help that.

And yes, I do feel an undershirt would be extreme. But my point is, not everyone does. And I'm not on here saying "I don't care what you wear as long as you don't wear an undershirt."

You stated that you find shorts to be extreme. I'd be willing to guess that not everyone does. And before you ask, I don't.

Just ask any gentleman from Bermuda what his opinion is on that subject. And I mean that in all seriousness.

Just ask any gentleman from Bermuda what his opinion is on that subject. And I mean that in all seriousness.

Oh I totally agree, and that was my point - that what one person considers "extreme" could be perfectly acceptable for somebody else!

DH and I both like to get dressed up, its part of the total cruise experience for us. According to people posting about recent cruises, the majority of cruisers still make some sort of effort to make formal night special, to one degree or another. That's all I ask - just show you care. It doesn't take much, and it makes it nicer for everyone.

But I've been sitting here wondering about the small percentage that show up in the MDR on formal night and obviously don't care at all. How does it not bother them that they are so blatantly under-dressed? Seriously, I can't figure out what's in their head. Its not like there's no place else to eat on board. And its not like its every night. I just find it hard to believe that they are that immune to appearances, no matter how loudly they claim "I don't care what anyone thinks, its my vacation and I'll do what I want!"

I may have to put up with that attitude, but I sure don't have to like it.

We fly transatlantic flights for about half of our cruises (and even those who fly within the US now are subject to baggage fees and limitations which are often more restrictive than international ones).

I always wonder what the heck everyone else is packing that they cannot manage. :confused: We manage to take tuxes/gowns other dressier stuff for every night, day time clothes, swimsuits, etc for two teens and two adults (one of whom is 6' 5" and wears reasonably heavy size 13 shoes) and never have an issue with weight/size. I seriously do not know what people pack that weighs so much or take so much space. It has baffled me for years.

On our cruise last week, we were walking around before dinner and we saw this immaculately dressed young couple. I assumed they were from Bermuda. She was wearing a full length gown and he was wearing a three piece suit in a grey check pattern, beautifully tailored. He was wearing Bermuda shorts with white knee length socks. They were the sharpest dressed couple we saw all night.

Curious how almost every time the formal night discussion comes up someone has to throw in Bermuda shorts. :p

Whole different animal from our normal shorts clad friends on the cruise ships. As decribed by the poster just before this - not exactly what we normally encounter in the dining room.

My point is what I mentioned in an earlier post....people can't agree on what is "formal" wear......

....And just because judges and lawyers wear them doesn't make them formal wear.

People don't have to agree on what is formal or not. RCI terms the evening formal, but also suggests a variety of choices. They obviously don't intend it to be an exclusive black tie event. They allow people to choose what they wish to wear. I consider black western boots to be very acceptable wear with a tuxedo. If you don't, that's your choice. It would be a very boring world if we all thought alike.

And someone who wears boots on formal night shouldn't be too upset with people who make different choices.

Don't ever recall saying I was upset about what anyone was wearing, just stated my opinion on what I considered extreme. To quote.... It's only a suggested dress and so people are at liberty to follow the suggestion or dress as they please. However, when the suggestion is formal and someone shows up in shorts, undershirt and a baseball cap, I'm with yogimax, that's extreme in my opinion. We all have our definitions of what is extreme, what is acceptable etc, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because you may disagree doesn't mean that either of you are wrong, it's an opinion, not a fact.

And another thing, I wear nice clothes to the dining room, and probably what I wear on a casual night isn't much different from what I see most people wearing on formal night. I enjoy wearing nice clothes and looking nice, and I jazz it up some on formal nights but I still don't care what others wear.

I'm sure you do wear nice clothes to the dining room. Why else would you wear them? In my opinion the vast majority of people wear nice clothes, but that's just my opinion.

You keep saying that you don't care what others wear, but it seems that you do have a problem with western boots.:rolleyes:

As you so appropriately stated, it's the old saying about people in glass houses throwing stones and all that.

Thank you cdamion, great photo.

Just thinking MDR dress on my last few cruises. They included cruises on RCCL, CCL, NCL and Celebrity. I'd say about 10% were in tuxes/gowns. 35% were in suits/dresses. About another 35% were in sport coats (some with dress slacks, some with jeans), women in dress pant suits and jackets.

That leaves about 20% left in some other mode of dress.

Funny thing is.....no one cared. My/our experience was just great, not worrying about how or what others were dressed.

I personally do either a suit, or more recently, a sport coat.

Dress how you like, just don't be ridiculous (c'mon....a speedo? That's just silly! No restaurant allows that).

But, hearing others reports, as well as my own observations, they days of tuxes and gowns being required in the MDR are far, far behind us.

Archived