Why do people care?

It doesn't affect me.

The dressiest I'm ever going to get up would be pants that aren't blue jeans, brown shoes, a shirt with more than three buttons, maybe a tie if you're lucky. If that's going to give you the vapors, get your inhaler ready.

That said, I typically skip "formal night" because while I simply don't care, I know that others do, and I have no wish to stand out. Plenty of other things to do. But, let's face it... getting worked up over the fact that someone else isn't dressed "appropriately" is very much a First World problem. Let it go. You'll live longer and be happier when you stop giving other people control over your life.

What I have noticed is that people seem to think of the MDR as a "formal" environment, but it's really not. It's crowded, noisy, the food is mediocre and it feels more like a family restaurant than a place you would dress up for if you were at home...on some nights the waiters sing and dance and people stand on chairs waving their dirty napkins around over their heads....Seriously, does that sound "formal"?

We really enjoy dining in the MDR, but we don't confuse it for anything more than what it is, a pleasant dining room that serves thousands of people, tens of thousands of meals each day. Maybe around the turn of the 20th century shipboard dining was more formal, but that's been gone for a long, long time.

What other people wear doesn't affect my cruise in any way, shape or form, and it never will.

Vie been reading a few threads on this board and one argument seems to crop up a lot. Whether people should follow the dress code on RCI ships. I for one quite like formal night, it's a good opportunity to wear my smart dinner jacket and get some pictures. It doesn't happen to bother me though what everyone else seems to be wearing. I think it's good to have a formal night so all the likeminded people can dress up on the same night but why does it really matter what other people wear

Does it bother anyone that much?

Big Keith

As long as your not wearing your birthday suit, doesn't matter to me.

But maybe our society would be more unique if we did not judge people on what clothing they wore. I've seen a lot of jackasses dressed very nicely.

Very well said!

There are too many busy bodies who should mind their own business.

My wife and I enjoy dressing up for formal night, we always have. What others choose to do is up to them. Although I don't care for some woman wearing a sequined dinner dress with braided armpit hair, it does not effect us in the least.

I think a persons dress is up to their desires.. I cannot dictate to other guests any more than I can dictate to my adult children. We do what we desire.

What I have noticed is that people seem to think of the MDR as a "formal" environment, but it's really not. It's crowded, noisy, the food is mediocre and it feels more like a family restaurant than a place you would dress up for if you were at home...on some nights the waiters sing and dance and people stand on chairs waving their dirty napkins around over their heads....Seriously, does that sound "formal"?

You know something, you've really made me re-think this. No, of course it doesn't sound formal. You're quite right. What is formal? I mean, really? There is another thread currently running about children, young little children, dining in specialty restaurants. Is that conducive to a formal atmosphere?

Gosh. I just don't know anymore. *sigh*

Vie been reading a few threads on this board and one argument seems to crop up a lot. Whether people should follow the dress code on RCI ships. I for one quite like formal night, it's a good opportunity to wear my smart dinner jacket and get some pictures. It doesn't happen to bother me though what everyone else seems to be wearing. I think it's good to have a formal night so all the likeminded people can dress up on the same night but why does it really matter what other people wear

Big Keith

Because dressing nice for dinner has always been a part of cruising, that you don't get when you go to Disney World, the beach, Hawaii, etc. And having a dress code so those around you are similarly dressed is also a part of the experience. It is one of the things that has always made cruising something special, compared to other vacations, and one of the things you pay for when choosing a cruise.

I would like nothing more than to see the nicer Cruise Lines (and I still consider RCCL one of the nicer ones) go back to denying entrance to the MDR for anyone not properly dressed according to the nights code. At least now people have an alternate choice. When I first started cruising, the MDR was the ONLY choice, and yes, they would deny entrance to people not properly dressed.

While I don't exactly bust out the full length sequin gown, we do get dressed up for formal night. Seeing others dressed less dressy than I am certainly doesn't ruin my evening. Honestly I don't even think twice about it.

For lots of people, the cruise is something that they had to scrape and save up for, and maybe buying expensive formal clothing just isn't an option when they are only going to wear it that one time.

Then maybe they should spend their scrapings on one of the lines that advertises to the "I'll do what I want, it's my vacation" crowd.

If someone comes to the MDR on formal night dressed in t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, yes I care... I care that the dining room staff doesn't throw the bum out!

I would love to scan the picture of a lady that sat with us at the captains table on formal evening, wearing a pink t-shirt.

Maybe her luggage was lost. We also had a lady who we knew, that had come aboard for a transatlantic......and her luggage was left at the pier. My DW loaned her a gown for formal night, and the ship had given her an allowance for clothing, but she was without till we hit the Azores.

I'm not on the clothing police committee, never have been, nor want to be.

Everyone lives by their own code of conduct, and what is right for me, may not be right for you. If I want to dine in the MDR on formal night, I'll be in a suit, at least, but if I want to dress casually.....you will find me in the Windjammer....but that is just me.

I must be getting old, as I was brought up under a different set of conduct rules, than many are used to today.;)

Rick

Haven't had time to read all of this thread, but I would wear more formal dress if the luggage allowance would allow it. Saying that I now trying to buy lighter garments that I can wear on formal night and feel dressed up. Hubby does the jacket and tie and not the tux.

What bothers me more than dining with people not in formal wear is an empty table. Not sure why people book a dining time and leave others to sit at a table by themselves.

I don't care what other people wear, but like you find it amusing how it bothers so many other people. The clothing police is out on all shiplines :D

Big Keith

If I want to dine in the MDR on formal night, I'll be in a suit, at least, but if I want to dress casually.....you will find me in the Windjammer....but that is just me.

I must be getting old, as I was brought up under a different set of conduct rules, than many are used to today.;)

Rick

In a nutshell.

Big Keith

I think it is the same reason that the average person doesn't want to build a $750,000 house in the middle of a trailer park. People like you insist it doesn't matter what the neighbors' houses look like. Well, I think it matters a lot.

There have always been dress codes. Personally, I would prefer a formal night dress code of "coat and tie" rather than "tux or suit." Big difference. Few restaurants in America require more than sports coat and tie. But the rule is the rule, and I'm willing to abide by it and I don't want people who don't obey the rule to be admitted into the dining venue.

What bothers me more than dining with people not in formal wear is an empty table. Not sure why people book a dining time and leave others to sit at a table by themselves.

That is another can of worms. :eek: Personally when we know we won't dine often in the MDR we book MTD.

I would love to scan the picture of a lady that sat with us at the captains table on formal evening, wearing a pink t-shirt.

Maybe her luggage was lost. We also had a lady who we knew, that had come aboard for a transatlantic......and her luggage was left at the pier. My DW loaned her a gown for formal night, and the ship had given her an allowance for clothing, but she was without till we hit the Azores.

I'm not on the clothing police committee, never have been, nor want to be.

Everyone lives by their own code of conduct, and what is right for me, may not be right for you. If I want to dine in the MDR on formal night, I'll be in a suit, at least, but if I want to dress casually.....you will find me in the Windjammer....but that is just me.

Rick

Agree Rick. I believe in showing a little respect for our fellow guests. Unfortunately many today do not and we see it more and more in today's society.

Have you really seen this on formal night? I sure haven't.

The flip flops would have made me laugh, though. That's a brave guy.

Yes I have seen it on formal night - cannot remember which ship -but there were two guys in front of us in t shirts, swim trunks and flip flops trying to get into the dining room on formal night. They were *politely* turned away. I figure they were just trying to see if they could get away with it.

I don't want people who don't obey the rule to be admitted into the dining venue.

It has been said a thousand times and I will say it again. It is NOT a rule! Its merely a suggestion! And very unenforced suggestion at that!

I dont want to sound rude but if it bothers you so much, Royal Caribbean may not be the cruise line for you. Have you considered Cunard where Im sure there IS a dress code RULE that IS enforced?

And before Im jumped on already. I ABIDE by the dress "suggestion" on every cruise I go on. I just simply do not care if others do or not!

That is all. :)

We really enjoy dining in the MDR, but we don't confuse it for anything more than what it is, a pleasant dining room that serves thousands of people, tens of thousands of meals each day. Maybe around the turn of the 20th century shipboard dining was more formal, but that's been gone for a long, long time.

What other people wear doesn't affect my cruise in any way, shape or form, and it never will.

And that is a good part of why we no longer step foot in there.

I would like nothing more than to see the nicer Cruise Lines (and I still consider RCCL one of the nicer ones) go back to denying entrance to the MDR for anyone not properly dressed according to the nights code. At least now people have an alternate choice. When I first started cruising, the MDR was the ONLY choice, and yes, they would deny entrance to people not properly dressed.

So if someone decides that he/she would like to get dressed up on casual night should that person be kicked out of the MDR? What about those folks who don't much care for Caribbean night? Don't the folks who don't participate ruin the atmosphere for those who enjoy those "theme" nights?

Haven't had time to read all of this thread, but I would wear more formal dress if the luggage allowance would allow it. Saying that I now trying to buy lighter garments that I can wear on formal night and feel dressed up. Hubby does the jacket and tie and not the tux.

That is the new world of having specialty restaurants on the ships. It leaves empty spaces in the MDR

Bravo for this comment. I LIKE formal night, but the hubbie does not. So, we be the odd couple, once again, but LUV cruising. We also travel very light, one overhead roll-on luggage each. This simplies life so. No waiting around for luggage, perhaps ones that will not show at all. Makes it super easy to make those mad-dash thru airports if flight delay happens.

So due to very limited space, DH just packs a black vest, tie and long-sleeve shirt, black jeans and black nice-looking tennis shoes. Looks fantastic from the waist up, yet functional for what we like to do. I throw on a sparkly top, black shirt, flats, bling. Good 'nuff. We buy very little of the usually great photos due to cost. I find it histerical to see a guy in a kilt, guy with an ascot, or even the guy in a powder blue polyester 80s suit (probably the best he had--and only one too).

I LOVE walking around on formal night looking at all the lovely dresses and people groups getting photos taken, wonder what made 3 or 4 generations cruise together, middle age+ couples lovingly gazing into each other's eyes for a pic. Little kids all dressed up. Yeah give me more!!!! I walk around (pre-dinner just to gauck) w/o DH bc he thinks that is all so silly and has a lot of noise pollution about it, so poo-poo to him.

If we do eat in the main dining room on formal night, what others don't wear doesn't bother me unless it is a chesty woman with a plunging V-neck (like where do you look?). Ha.

So looking forward to our upcoming RCI Grandeur T-day 2012 repo 3-day cruise. All sea days. Thanks for this comment. Made my day!!!

I dont own a suit. I do have a couple pairs of slacks and a bunch of nice button up shirts. I dont even know how to tie a tie. I think ties are the most idiotic piece of clothing someone could wear. Not only are they uncomfortable but they are dangerous. I wear jeans and a polo shirt to work every day. When I go to fancy restaurants I will wear some black slacks and a nice shirt but I NEVER wear a tie. And its too hot in Texas for jackets most of the time.

When I go out with my girl friend to a club or somewhere that dressing up is required I mostly wear a nice pair of dark jeans and a dress shirt untucked with a pair of cowboy boots or dress shoes depending on the place we are going. I also do not like tucking in my shirt. Why push clothing into another piece of clothing? Its not logical thinking to do this.

So totally AGREE with you!! I have never met a pair of blue jeans or blue skirt I didn't love. I just like the sparkly/color and smg different, too.

Archived