Groups and Sharks, and Rays...Oh My!!

I posted this in another section that dosesn't seem to have much traffic so I thought I woluld give it another try here in the main section....

From reading the various snorkeling threads it seems that in Belize one must contend with either groups, sharks, rays, and even old-fashioned life vests.

Is there any tour that doesn't include any or all of the above; particularly sharks and rays?

Thanks!

We did cavetubing in belize so I couldn't help you. The company we used cavetubing dot bz also does other tours. If you contact one of the tour operators, maybe they could direct you to some nicer, less crowded places.

Good luck!

Shawn

Thanks....I think.

Just to clarify, of the posts I've read and comments concerning "groups" it sounds as though people are kind of corralled and herded together into a tight group and bumping into one another. Groups "crowds" are fine and to be expected, however what I've read sounds a bit like kindergarten snorkeling.

If you're planning to do some kind of snorkeling thing, you always have a chance of seeing a shark or a ray, although we've done it many times and never saw a shark, and only a few small rays while snorkeling. (Grand Cayman is the place where you can take a trip to Stingray City and see many rays, but they're used to people).

We've used Coral Breeze tours...they were very good...you may want to check what they have to offer these days. I think Carnival does a beach break to Bannister Island which we liked when we did it with Coral Breeze. It's a big beach...you don't feel crowded there.

We did the shark/ray alley snorkel trip when we were in Belize. What a rush to see several sharks around the boat and the snorkel master tells you to jump in the water. Our guide even grabbed a 5 foot shark and passed it off to my wife to hug.

Archived