Australian Cruise/Land tour/Suggestions?

debshomespun

I probably should have clerified the plans at the moment, which Jeannie was answering me on. We are doing a 13 day NZ cruise then upon our return to Sydney on April 1, 2014, we will have 9 days to sight see. I didn't really want to spend all those 9 days in Sydney, but perhaps say April 2 to 5, then travel to the Blue Mountains for one day, and possibly another day or two outside Sydney. Our 2nd cruise will depart Sydney on April 10th of 2014. Our daughter who is traveling with us wants to see Queensland if she can during the 9 days we have.

During the 13 day NZ cruise we will visit, the three Sounds, Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington, Tauranga, Auckland & Bay of Islands from March 19 to April 1, 2014. We will revisit Wellington during on Transpacific April 10th, 2014.

Goinagin, with so much to see in our US and much of it I have not even seen, I would only be able to skim places to see.

We are so looking forward to visiting Australia and the Ports in NZ for the first time and realize, 9 days isn't enough time to see as much as we would like unless we had planned to travel by car and not cruise. I appreciate all the information I have received on CC since I began planning our journey.:)

Gay

Hi Gay

You will love New Zealand - they have 4 main Islands - the North Island, South Island, Stewart Island (a little one of the South and what they love to call the West Island -(Australia - laughter) The people there are great, the food is great and the scenery is MAGNIFICENT. Your cruise has the very best!

Southern Queensland is very nice but NOT near the reef - The Gold Coast - well... I would hate people to think that's Queensland (sorry Jennie) but its tacky at best. Reef access is best thru Port Douglas, Cairns (FNQ) and Airlie beach but even Brisbane with your time frame would probably require a flight and the others certainly.

I have always loved traveling in the states - it's the best budget travel in the world - when we were younger we'd hire a car - stock up at Wallmart or Kmart and head around staying in the camping cabins at KOA. The poeple we met were wonderful , always helpful and friendly - I hope you find the same DownUnder

Gerry

Hi Jennie

I was actually referring to Ozzie roads in general - the Hume is actually a good 4 lanes Sydney to Melbourne (almost - laughter) but its not what you would call scenic in world terms. I love Victoria and Melbourne is very cosmopoltian - Soveriegn Hill (you forgot to mention) is a great day out. I LOVE the races and YES for a sports fan I don't think there's a better place in the world. Sorry but best art gallery in Aust is in Canberra.

Gerry one of our best RV trips was to Zion & Bryce Canyons finishing it off at Moab and the Arches. We find RVers are so friendly and ready to help their neighbors. We never worry about leaving our 5th wheel unlocked. This has been a long awaited trip and hope we can make the most of it. I have heard from others, NZ is really the place to see. I only wish on this cruise it included Tasmania. If they hadn't switched ships and direction we wouldn't gone there. During the Transpacific we will visit Picton as well.

I was looking at doing Perth to Sydney, but they reversed it on us, and it would have meant a long flight back to Sydney plus 2 weeks between cruises, so went with the 13 day NZ on our favorite ship, the ROS.:)

Gay

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Gerry one of our best RV trips was to Zion & Bryce Canyons finishing it off at Moab and the Arches. We find RVers are so friendly and ready to help their neighbors. We never worry about leaving our 5th wheel unlocked. This has been a long awaited trip and hope we can make the most of it. I have heard from others, NZ is really the place to see. I only wish on this cruise it included Tasmania. If they hadn't switched ships and direction we wouldn't gone there. During the Transpacific we will visit Picton as well.

I was looking at doing Perth to Sydney, but they reversed it on us, and it would have meant a long flight back to Sydney plus 2 weeks between cruises, so went with the 13 day NZ on our favorite ship, the ROS.:)

Gay

Our last trip was Alaska 2012 - but previously we spent over 5 weeks in the 4 corners area - Petrified Forest, Painted desert,Hovenweep, Mesa Verde, Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, San Juan Skyway, Dead Horse, Arches, Canyonlands and even tracked down some of the ancient petroglyphs - yep - you are right so many people so friendly - we hung an Aussie flag on our cabin and many people popped in for a chat and a beer.

We were based in Cortez KOA for most - What a great place.

You guys REALLY understand about National Parks and Service - I still get a tear in my eye when I think about our very last KOA stop in Silver City (NM)

Hi Gay

Hi Jennie

Sorry but best art gallery in Aust is in Canberra.

I am sorry Gerry but I do have to disagree on this. I have visited the National Gallery in Canberra but nothing comes near our NGV here. We have two great NGV's, the one in St. Kilda Road and the Ian Potter Centre in Federation Square. Here is what I have found:

It was also established more than a century before the NGA. According to former Victorian Premier Steve Bracks, "We won't be renaming the National Gallery of Victoria. It has a great tradition. It is the biggest and best gallery in the country and it's one of the biggest and best in the world."

and here is what our NGV has to say about itself: The National Gallery of Victoria is Australia’s favourite gallery. The extensive NGV Collection is recognised amongst the world’s best, and is proudly displayed across two venues – NGV International and The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia.

We were fortunate in being given a huge sum of money back in the early 1900's called the Felton Bequest which is still buying magnificent paintings today.

I love visiting the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra to see "Blue Poles" and a couple of other great paintings but here in Melbourne we are up with the best. Perhaps you haven't been to either of our wonderful galleries in the past few years especially since our St. Kilda Road gallery was extended in 2003 and the curators were able to bring out paintings that had never seen the light of day before!

Jennie

I am sorry Gerry but I do have to disagree on this. I have visited the National Gallery in Canberra but nothing comes near our NGV here. We have two great NGV's, the one in St. Kilda Road and the Ian Potter Centre in Federation Square. Here is what I have found:

It was also established more than a century before the NGA. According to former Victorian Premier Steve Bracks, "We won't be renaming the National Gallery of Victoria. It has a great tradition. It is the biggest and best gallery in the country and it's one of the biggest and best in the world."

and here is what our NGV has to say about itself: The National Gallery of Victoria is Australia’s favourite gallery. The extensive NGV Collection is recognised amongst the world’s best, and is proudly displayed across two venues – NGV International and The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia.

We were fortunate in being given a huge sum of money back in the early 1900's called the Felton Bequest which is still buying magnificent paintings today.

I love visiting the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra to see "Blue Poles" and a couple of other great paintings but here in Melbourne we are up with the best. Perhaps you haven't been to either of our wonderful galleries in the past few years especially since our St. Kilda Road gallery was extended in 2003 and the curators were able to bring out paintings that had never seen the light of day before!

Jennie

Have to agree with Jennie on this. However, why not visit all three to judge for yourselves.

In addition, the Regional Art Galleries in Vic are a treasure trove.

Have to agree with Jennie on this. However, why not visit all three to judge for yourselves.

In addition, the Regional Art Galleries in Vic are a treasure trove.

The Ballarat one is wonderful and of course recently the Bendigo Art Gallery has been having some wonderful exhibitions. The last one were the clothes of Grace Kelly - Princess Grace of Monaco.

Jennie

The Ballarat one is wonderful and of course recently the Bendigo Art Gallery has been having some wonderful exhibitions. The last one were the clothes of Grace Kelly - Princess Grace of Monaco.

Jennie

Hi rest of the world.

Please excuse us as we continue our Melbourne/Sydney rivalry. It's a long standing thing and we all love it.

Yes we do love the rivalry, though I do love Sydney, a great place to visit regularly.

Jennie

Same with Melbourne! I notice you're booked on Ocean Princess - the BWL-

next year - we are on her this year in March - Sydney to Rome via Singapore.

It should be a great trip - watch for my review! (about early Nov - as we are away for a while)

Yes we are on the Ocean Princess in June this year and again in March next year. She is one of our favourite ships.

We were booked on her to do the Sydney to Singapore cruise last year in March but had to cancel 6 weeks before we were due to leave as my DH had a heart attack out of the blue and needed a stent. He wasn't allowed to travel for 8 weeks so we had to cancel unfortunately, so I rebooked it for next year.

Enjoy your time on her. I hope you enjoy the Ocean Princess as much as we do.

Jennie

Same with Melbourne! I notice you're booked on Ocean Princess - the BWL-

next year - we are on her this year in March - Sydney to Rome via Singapore.

It should be a great trip - watch for my review! (about early Nov - as we are away for a while)

Have you been on Ocean Princess before? We loved everything about this small ship on our cruise from Singapore to Sydney last November.

BTW Don't forget Queensland!

Yes we are on the Ocean Princess in June this year and again in March next year. She is one of our favourite ships.

We were booked on her to do the Sydney to Singapore cruise last year in March but had to cancel 6 weeks before we were due to leave as my DH had a heart attack out of the blue and needed a stent. He wasn't allowed to travel for 8 weeks so we had to cancel unfortunately, so I rebooked it for next year.

Enjoy your time on her. I hope you enjoy the Ocean Princess as much as we do.

Jennie

Love the Ocean - first cruised with her as Tahitian - Fort Lauderdale to Sydney - and again Rome to Singapore via West Africa and Cape Town - She is THE BEST PRINCESS!! I hope DH is well. We are also on the Pacific Princess for Black Sea later in the year - I noticed you have done a black sea - any Hints? Is Pacific as good as Ocean? I know they are Sister Ships in the Small category. Despite you being from Melbourne -I think we could be soul mates (laughter)

Hi Gerry,

We did the Black Sea on HAL's Prinsendam which is probably our favourite ship as it is small like the Ocean and Pacific but does have more public rooms and the mini suites are lovely with walk in wardrobes and a bathroom that is divided into 3, the same as for the suites. The ports were fine but nothing outstanding, we left from Athens and visited Istanbul where we have been before and love visiting there. We did this cruise back in 2004 and Odessa was very run down at the time. It may have changed by now. We also visited a port in Bulgaria and Yalta which was a lovely seaside town. We also went to Dubrovnik, Split and the cruise finished in Venice. Sailing into Venice has to be a highlight of any cruise.

We enjoyed the Black Sea cruise but our favourite cruise of all time was on Oceania's Nautica - sister ship to both the Pacific and Ocean Princesses, there were 8 built altogether - when we went from Hong Kong to Athens. A similar trip I presume to what you will be doing this year. We started off visiting Vietnam - 2 ports - then Thailand, then Singapore, Malaysia, India - 3 ports - where we did an excursion to Agra for 3 days/2 nights, then on to Oman, then to Luxor, again an overnight there, then to Jordan where we visited Petra then through the Suez to Port Said where we visited the Pyramids. It was a 35 day cruise with the best bunch of fellow travellers and Oceania does sell a great product.

Our next favourite was the Capetown to Dover cruise on the Ocean. Again wonderful and unusual ports and another great group of C.C. members. This was a 32 day cruise.

We have been on both the Pacific and Ocean and if you have been on one then you won't notice any difference except for the staff.

We were on our first large ship in October - the Emerald - and that finished us for good re large ships. Too many people and too crowded.

Jennie

Hi Gerry,

We did the Black Sea on HAL's Prinsendam which is probably our favourite ship as it is small like the Ocean and Pacific but does have more public rooms and the mini suites are lovely with walk in wardrobes and a bathroom that is divided into 3, the same as for the suites. The ports were fine but nothing outstanding, we left from Athens and visited Istanbul where we have been before and love visiting there. We did this cruise back in 2004 and Odessa was very run down at the time. It may have changed by now. We also visited a port in Bulgaria and Yalta which was a lovely seaside town. We also went to Dubrovnik, Split and the cruise finished in Venice. Sailing into Venice has to be a highlight of any cruise.

We enjoyed the Black Sea cruise but our favourite cruise of all time was on Oceania's Nautica - sister ship to both the Pacific and Ocean Princesses, there were 8 built altogether - when we went from Hong Kong to Athens. A similar trip I presume to what you will be doing this year. We started off visiting Vietnam - 2 ports - then Thailand, then Singapore, Malaysia, India - 3 ports - where we did an excursion to Agra for 3 days/2 nights, then on to Oman, then to Luxor, again an overnight there, then to Jordan where we visited Petra then through the Suez to Port Said where we visited the Pyramids. It was a 35 day cruise with the best bunch of fellow travellers and Oceania does sell a great product.

Our next favourite was the Capetown to Dover cruise on the Ocean. Again wonderful and unusual ports and another great group of C.C. members. This was a 32 day cruise.

We have been on both the Pacific and Ocean and if you have been on one then you won't notice any difference except for the staff.

We were on our first large ship in October - the Emerald - and that finished us for good re large ships. Too many people and too crowded.

Jennie

Not keen on big vessels either. We did Rome to Singapore via South Africa on the Ocean - otherway round from you but SAME YEAR!

We certainly have covered a lot of the same territory although we are reasonably new to cruising. Most of our travel pre 2006 were land based. Like small ships we LOVE small group tours - have a look at this site

http://www.explore.co.uk

English company that do FANTASTIC trips

Gerry,

Great link, thanks. We did a lot of our land based travel in the 90's and saw a lot of Europe.

Have you been to South American and Antarctica? That was a great trip where we not only cruised but also went to the Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands. We also did a cruise later on that year from Vancouver to Tampa via the Panama and the Amazon as far as Manaus. Both of these cruises were back in 2006 and were great. We are starting to run out of itineraries re cruising as my DH doesn't like to repeat the same trips so I am always looking for new ports.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

Gerry,

Great link, thanks. We did a lot of our land based travel in the 90's and saw a lot of Europe.

Have you been to South American and Antarctica? That was a great trip where we not only cruised but also went to the Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands. We also did a cruise later on that year from Vancouver to Tampa via the Panama and the Amazon as far as Manaus. Both of these cruises were back in 2006 and were great. We are starting to run out of itineraries re cruising as my DH doesn't like to repeat the same trips so I am always looking for new ports.

Jennie

Yes one of our first cruises was South america but did not land antarctica - had extension to Macchu Pichu - GALAPAGAS is VERY high on my 'to do' list as is Manaus

Did a great combo cruise in 2011 - Baltic and then North Atlantic (Faroe Is, Iceland, Greenland , Nova Scotia to New York -HAL

I dont mind going back to some places - having said that there are some places I could live and some would be quite happy never to see again (East London - South Africa). We are looking at a Cruise down the East Coast of Africa in the Future - does madagascar, Zanzibar,Mombasa, Maledives - Oceania Cruises - have an old flyer - will look into that later as we are fully booked for this year. There is also a HAL that does a complete circumnavigation of South America and there is lots there I would still like to see - NAZCAR lines - way on top of the list. On the Explore site we have done two cruises with them- The Greek Island one on the converted fishing boat and the Cruise on the old sailing boat thru the Croatian Islands - both were excellent - 4 crew 16 passengers = you dive overboard for a swim and because the vessels are really small you can get to really quaint villages on the tiny islands.

If you find any really different cruise I'd love to know.

Thanks

Gerry,

We too have done a cruise from Boston to Rotterdam via Greenland, Iceland, Shetland Islands and down the coast of Norway. We also did the last voyage on the Royal Princess in 2010 and went from Tahiti to Ft. Lauderdale. We were supposed to land at Easter Island but it was too rough and we were booked to fly over the NAZCA lines but the ship arrived 4 hours too late so all the flights in the afternoon were booked by tourists not on the ship!! One of the main reasons we booked that cruise was to visit Easter Island and to do the flight!

We are also hoping to book Oceania's Capetown to Singapore cruise for January 2015 in September this year when it is announced. We have friends who did it in January 2012 and friends on it for 2013. That has been on my wish list for a number of years.

Jennie

Gerry,

We too have done a cruise from Boston to Rotterdam via Greenland, Iceland, Shetland Islands and down the coast of Norway. We also did the last voyage on the Royal Princess in 2010 and went from Tahiti to Ft. Lauderdale. We were supposed to land at Easter Island but it was too rough and we were booked to fly over the NAZCA lines but the ship arrived 4 hours too late so all the flights in the afternoon were booked by tourists not on the ship!! One of the main reasons we booked that cruise was to visit Easter Island and to do the flight!

We are also hoping to book Oceania's Capetown to Singapore cruise for January 2015 in September this year when it is announced. We have friends who did it in January 2012 and friends on it for 2013. That has been on my wish list for a number of years.

Jennie

You know Aussie Gal - I'm gonna love it when we meet - the boys can have a beer and we can talk - way to go. Easter Island a great stop - the original inhabitants denuded the islands of trees and they have planted eucalyptes - it's covered in gums - one wonders where that's going to lead as they are so pervasive.

• 1 year later...
Hi there! We just returned from a trip and cruise of Australia & New Zealand. Kathy

Appreciate the earlier postings and tips on this thread. As noted in the live/blog connected below, we got off of the Solstice early last month. We super enjoyed our four days in and around Cairns, doing the Great Barrier Reef and Rainforest, plus the two later days on Kangaroo Island. WOW! Super times there. This also included flying out to Lizard Island in the middle of the reef area, going snorkeling there, etc. Check out these postings for more info/background on these various stops, travel details and options, etc. PLUS, lots of pictures. Below are just a few visual samples to get people excited about going down under. Plus, Sydney was super cool, fun and highly interesting. Love that architecture, history and design there. So much great to see in Australia!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 47,748 views for this fun posting.

The Kuranda Scenic Rail trip took us back to Cairns along a dramatic routing, plus interesting sights, dramatic waterfalls, major engineering work, many train tunnels, big bridges, etc. The rail line dates back to 1891. For our group of six, we did the upgrade to the "gold" rail seating with plenty of wine, nice food/snacks, etc., in a wonderful, old-style rail car with great service and attention by the staff The great company and nice sights (plus the flowing wine), made it very much fun on a day with on and off patches of rain.:

RailRainforestTrip4_zpsa27ab5e4.jpg

RailRainforestTrip5_zpsb5f3a226.jpg

From the Daintree Rainforest and National Park near Cairns, Australia, here are some samples of our exploring there. First, is one picture to illustrate the somewhat challenging 1.43 miles circular hike in the deep, deep of this dramatic rainforest. Lots of rocks, up and down paths, twists and turns, hard work, etc., as this picture shows. But we survived!! Even at our ages. Also in the Mossman Gorge, there was a long swinging bridge. Not Indiana Jones, but for us it was super spectacular. Second is one of my favorites as it show a member of our group looking at one of these huge trees in the middle of this rainforest and contemplating its majesty, size and history. And I told John the next morning, the picture shows his more photogenic side!:

PixRainFampPDouglas4_zpsc488581a.jpg

PixRainFampPDouglas5_zps27db0023.jpg

Here are just two views from my many pictures from amazing Kangaroo Island, 70 miles south of Adelaide in South Australia. We had a great gourmet dinner and breakfast while staying at a charming family B&B on a historic sheep ranch there. First is an overall coastal/beach view within Flinders Chase National Park. Second is one view of the many angles and perspectives for what is correctly called Remarkable Rocks.:

GBRLizIslanReef1_zpsd84266b9.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef_zps769f91a0.jpg

I am the OP, and we are finally making our definite plans! Since I started this thread, and forgot about it, I re read, and there is so much information. I thank everyone that has posted,

We will be coming to Australia mid Jan/2015. Hopefully, arriving on 1/24/15, and staying 3 nights in Sydney, pre-cruise. We will be able to experience your Australia Day (it is the day before we embark on our Celebrity cruise!). We have made our hotel reservations in Sydney, and also booked a dinner cruise on Vegabond Spirit for the fireworks during the evening on Australia Day. We thought this would be a great way to see the fireworks and experience the Harbor. We will partake in all the festivities in Sydney for Australia Day. The day we arrive (we have not yet booked our air, but looking at a late morning arrival on Sat, Jan. 24), I am thinking we will check into the hotel, then go over to the beach area for some rest and relaxation. Not sure yet what we will don on Sunday, Jan. 25. I am thinking there will be Australia day pre-festivities in Sydney. Jan. 26, is Australia day. On Tues, Jan. 27, we will board Celebrity Solstice for a 12 night cruise, ending in Auckland.

Our Celebrity cruise has a sea day, than a port day in Hobart, so we can visit Tasmania. Then on to 2 more sea days over to New Zealand, visiting Doubtful Sound, Dusky Sound, and Milford Sound. Then, on to Dunedun, Akaroa, Wellington, day at sea, Tauranga, Bay of Islands, and disembark in Auckland. Then we will spend 3 days in Auckland. We need to see what all we want to do there.

After our 3 day stay in Auckland, we will be flying down to Melbourne, and stay another 3 days. Was looking at going to Phillip Island for 1 day. I would be interested in seeing the parade of penguins.

We will then fly back to Sydney, for another 3 day visit. During this time, I would like to take a day over to see the Blue Mountains. Not sure what way we will do this yet. I think we may see about taking a train there, then doing the HOHO train. We still have 2 days to do things in and around Sydney. DH would like to do the bridge climb (I will skip this)

We will then board RC Rhapsody of the Seas for an 11 night cruise. Our itinerary is we leave on Feb. 17, and have a day in New Castle, 2 sea days, arriving in Cairns at 8:00AM, and staying overnight, leaving on day 2 at 5:00PM, a day at sea and cruising around Willis Island for 2 hours, the next day Arlie Beach, a seaday, Brisbane (I want to go to the Lone Pine Sanctuary while here), a seaday, then return to Sydney on Feb. 28. We will then fly home.

We are open for more ideas, now that we have more of a plan of dates we are there. We can make our stays on land a day or 2 different if need be. We are adventurous people, and love to see the natural wonders of the land. We love the beaches, harbors, and boating. Also thought we would stop in to see the large Casino while in Sydney. We also love trains, and I am finding out there are several types of trains in New Zealand. Thinking we may do the Taieri Gorge train, and the Tranz Alpine train, hopefully!

We have alot of planning to do! We are traveling with another couple, our friends from Miami.

Edited by debshomespun

I am the OP, and we are finally making our definite plans! We will be coming to Australia mid Jan/2015. Hopefully, arriving on 1/24/15, and staying 3 nights in Sydney, pre-cruise. We will be able to experience your Australia Day (it is the day before we embark on our Celebrity cruise!). We have made our hotel reservations in Sydney, and also booked a dinner cruise on Vegabond Spirit for the fireworks during the evening on Australia Day. We thought this would be a great way to see the fireworks and experience the Harbor. We will partake in all the festivities in Sydney for Australia Day. The day we arrive (we have not yet booked our air, but looking at a late morning arrival on Sat, Jan. 24), I am thinking we will check into the hotel, then go over to the beach area for some rest and relaxation. Not sure yet what we will don on Sunday, Jan. 25. I am thinking there will be Australia day pre-festivities in Sydney. Jan. 26, is Australia day. On Tues, Jan. 27, we will board Celebrity Solstice for a 12 night cruise, ending in Auckland. A port day in Hobart, New Zealand, visiting Doubtful Sound, Dusky Sound, and Milford Sound. Then, on to Dunedun, Akaroa, Wellington, day at sea, Tauranga, Bay of Islands, and disembark in Auckland. After our 3 day stay in Auckland, we will be flying down to Melbourne, and stay another 3 days. Was looking at going to Phillip Island for 1 day. We will then fly back to Sydney, for another 3 day visit. During this time, I would like to take a day over to see the Blue Mountains. Not sure what way we will do this yet. I think we may see about taking a train there, then doing the HOHO train. We still have 2 days to do things in and around Sydney. DH would like to do the bridge climb (I will skip this). We will then board RC Rhapsody of the Seas for an 11 night cruise. Our itinerary is we leave on Feb. 17, and have a day in New Castle, 2 sea days, arriving in Cairns at 8:00AM, and staying overnight, leaving on day 2 at 5:00PM, a day at sea and cruising around Willis Island for 2 hours, the next day Arlie Beach, a seaday, Brisbane (I want to go to the Lone Pine Sanctuary while here), a seaday, then return to Sydney on Feb. 28. We will then fly home. We are adventurous people, and love to see the natural wonders of the land. We love the beaches, harbors, and boating. We also love trains, and I am finding out there are several types of trains in New Zealand. Thinking we may do the Taieri Gorge train, and the Tranz Alpine train, hopefully! We have alot of planning to do! We are traveling with another couple, our friends from Miami.

Appreciate, Debbie, your follow-up and added travel plan details. Happy to help an Ohio "neighbor"!! You are off to a good start in your planning There are special challenges and huge opportunities in Australia and New Zealand. So different than the Carib and most of what you have done in the past. The options and potential are so many. Here are some quick reactions, thoughts from what you have outlined:

1. Australia Day might be a little busy and crazy from what I vaguely remember hearing. Check and plan accordingly.

2. Consider doing the ship's two-day, Queenstown overnight excursion. That worked so well for us. Seeing the interior of the super scenic South Island could be very, very good. Was for us!!

3. For one of your days in Auckland, consider going to Waiheke Island and exploring the far eastern and more remote parts of this special island.

4. Not sure whether the Blue Mountain trip will be as needed and valued compared all of the dramatic settings you will see in New Zealand. I'm sure it's a good option, but it's just the question for what's better?

5. Don't know about Melbourne and Phillip Island. I am sure that it will be good. It is just the questions for whether Kangaroo Island and Adelaide will be better. Compare carefully!! Melbourne is another "Big City". Maybe you need that, maybe not.

Given your stated "love to see the natural wonders of the land", do more reading and considerations now.

Keep it coming! Happy to share more, answer added questions? No bad choices, just questions for what will be BEST!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 138,316 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I am the OP, and we are finally making our definite plans! Since I started this thread, and forgot about it, I re read, and there is so much information. I thank everyone that has posted, ... We will be coming to Australia mid Jan/2015. ...

I think you have worked out a good itinerary for a first trip to Australia & N.Z., and will greatly enjoy it. It is impossible to see all parts of those countries in one trip, even a long trip. Your current itinerary will leave out wonderful additional destinations such as South Australia, the Centre, Top End, southwest W.A., the Kimberley, etc., plus most of the interior and west side of New Zealand. And then there is the possibility of a side trip to New Caledonia, Vanuatu, etc., which you mentioned initially. It has taken us quite a few trips over many years, on land and on cruises, to get to all of these places.

I recommend not spending too much more time worrying about whether your currently planned itinerary is ideal. All major parts of it will be interesting. What you really need to do, I suggest, is to acknowledge that you will need to return to Australia, preferably at a different time of year than Jan.-Feb. -- a time of year when the weather in the Centre and north is more conducive to touring. And then you'll need another trip to New Zealand, possibly adding a cruise to the Pacific Islands; and then perhaps a land trip or cruise across southern Australia... There is no end of interesting places to visit in this region.

John

Edited by J-D

Terry: Thank you for your tips! They are great!

1. We will arrive in Sydney on a Saturday, (at least planning this time so far, haven't gotten the plane ticket yet). Australia day is on Monday. We have not planned anything, other than a dinner cruise on Monday night to eat and watch the fireworks in the harbor. Thinking we will possibly do one of the beaches on Sunday, depending on the weather. Saturday will be just a little walking around the city close to our hotel to get farmiliar with the town, and also adjusting our bodies to the time change.

2. I have considered the overnight, but also am interested in doing the train, Taieri Gorge Train in Dunedin, decisions, decisions!

3. While in Auckland, we probably will visit Waiheke Island. Someone from our roll call is from here, and over time, I will be asking some advice from her on what to do there in 1 day.

4. As for the Blue Mountains, it is a great possibility. Not sure yet what all we are doing on land.

We also are not set in stone on the days and locations. My outline is a tentative schedule. As we research things to do, we may re-plan accordingly. I have looked at Kangaroo Island. Not sure what else there is to do in Adelaide, as opposed to Melbourne.

John: Thank you also for your input! I know there are so many things to see and do in Australia and NZ. We are trying to hit the high points and concentrate on several areas to visit. Hopefully 3 days will be sufficient time to explore and area. Understandably, we cannot see it all in one trip. We need to figure out what are the important "must dos" and try to do as many of those that we can.

In Sydney, we want to do a tour of the opera house, DH wants to do the bridge climb, and taking a dinner cruise on the harbor to watch the fireworks, will be a little like NYE. Not quite the same, but the closest we will get! :D