Scooters or electric car

Bek-Mike

While in port we are trying to decide if we want to rent scooters or electric car. We DD (21) and I have rented scooters in Hawaii and loved it, so that isn't an issue. Just wondering if parking them is easier then the car. Only plans we have while there is sight seeing and maybe eating lunch, not much into shopping. Any help would be great. Thanks..

• 2 weeks later...

You can easily sight see and have lunch walking. Town is very small. I think renting a car or scooters is a waste of money unless you have issues walking. Save the money and buy some stone crab claws or a nice bottle of wine at lunch instead!

If you do rent scooters, be careful. Our streets in Old Town and very crowded, especially when ships are in port.

We have been to Key West 3 times (all on cruise ships) and each time we have rented an electric car. They are so much fun. The ships aren't in Key West very long and they allow you to see so much more of the city during your time there.

We have never had any trouble finding a place to park.

We were in Key West in March and we rented from Tropical Rentals. We had our electric car for 6 hours and it was $98.00 (I also had a coupon that I printed from their website)

P1010906.jpg

P1010907.jpg

We never had an issue with parking. You just have to feed the meter is all. Scooters are cool, but the carts are more comfy and you can put more people in them which gives the group time to look around. I would'nt want to walk to the southern most point. Thats a good distance from the pier. I do however, recommend that you reserve ahead of time and search for on line deals as the prices are more for walk on's. Have fun.....

• 3 weeks later...

We rented scooters DH and I . We didnt reserve a head of time . We walked of the boat and there were people handing out flyers for scooters.Negotiated a price I think it was $20. a piece and they drove us to the main rental place. I don't remember the name but they had a big smiling sun on them. I did scope out places to visit before we got there touristy things (Southern most point , Hemmingway house, etc ) We easily parked the scooters and checked the places out ( we really never went in to any of them just looked from the outside) We are not shoppers so pretty much stayed away from the main drags . We also toured some of the neighborhoods checking out some of the houses which was fun since some of them are lets say tastefully decorated. Dropped off the scooters and then grabbed a few drinks at Sloppy Joes and walked back to the ship. Are going with family ( MIL and kids) and going to try an electric car next time

We have been to Key West 3 times (all on cruise ships) and each time we have rented an electric car. They are so much fun. The ships aren't in Key West very long and they allow you to see so much more of the city during your time there.

We have never had any trouble finding a place to park.

We were in Key West in March and we rented from Tropical Rentals. We had our electric car for 6 hours and it was $98.00 (I also had a coupon that I printed from their website)

P1010906.jpg

P1010907.jpg

That's a fancy golf cart... Not a car. Lol those would be easier to park than, say, a Range Rover.:p

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up renting scooters. Had a BLAST! We rode all over key west, found some place to stop and grab some lunch, stopped and had some key lime pie at Kermit's. Rode up and down duval st. Never had any issues or worries or afraid we were going to wreck or people walking out in front of us. Glad we just did what we wanted too!

We ended up renting scooters. Had a BLAST! We rode all over key west, found some place to stop and grab some lunch, stopped and had some key lime pie at Kermit's. Rode up and down duval st. Never had any issues or worries or afraid we were going to wreck or people walking out in front of us. Glad we just did what we wanted too!

So glad you had a great time!!!! We will be there in December again and can't wait!!!

You can't go wrong with either one. Scooters and electric cars are a blast in Key West. It is the most convenient way to see as much of Key West as you can during your time there

• 2 weeks later...

We had two scooter experiences. Years ago while walking in St Barts, we saw a girl slam into the side of a car.

Another time our veranda neighbors wrecked a scooter in Mexico. One was flown to San Antonio and other (more serious) to San Diego. I hope they had really good insurance. We made sure we have excellent medical evacuation insurance on our cruises after that. The cost of medical evac can be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

We'll take the electric car :)

I own 2 scooters here in Maine. Thinking about renting a couple in KW... Know you have to be careful. Not sure why people who can't ride a scooter at home think they can ride them elsewhere. I have seen people come to a stop and forgot to put their feet down! LOL So I am looking out for the other guy.

I own 2 scooters here in Maine. Thinking about renting a couple in KW... Know you have to be careful. Not sure why people who can't ride a scooter at home think they can ride them elsewhere. I have seen people come to a stop and forgot to put their feet down! LOL So I am looking out for the other guy.

For you I'd say go for the scooter and enjoy! If you don't know what you're doing, stick to the electric car. :)

Archived